Trip To Braiding Shop Ends With Trip To ER

Iluvsmuhgrass

I couldn't believe this! :nono:

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=145120&catid=57

Greensboro, NC -- What started as a trip to the beauty salon to get her hair braided, ended with two trips to the emergency room, according to Veronica Carter.

Carter said at first she liked her braids, which took about six hours to get done.

But a few weeks later, that changed.

"I got up and I was crying in the middle of the night and I was praying and crying like God please don't let me die," said Carter.

"The braid came out and it was like a little white bump," she said. "The headaches became just on one side and it was migraines and it was like a heat sensation."

"My whole face was swollen, my eye was absolutely shut," said Carter.

She went to the emergency room twice and paperwork she was given on the second visit states she may have MRSA, an infection that doesn't respond to the usual antibiotics. She said she is taking four antibiotics, though.

"He told me it's because the braids was too tight," said Carter about her hospital visit. "He said her nails, anything up under the nail, if her nails was sharp or if she took it and tried to braid it and maybe cut me right here and I didn't notice it."

State regulators are now stepping in to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. Starting July 1, hair braiders are required to pass a test and get licensed.

"Once they pass that exam, they will just file for licensure. If they do not take the exam, though, by July 1 2011, they're all going to have to go to school and obtain 300 hours and then take the practical and written to get licensure," said Lynda Elliott, Executive Director of the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Examiners, which now regulates the industry.

"You can cause track balding and of course all these other issues, infection, inflamed areas," said Elliott.

An employee at the shop told WFMY News 2 Carter should have come to them sooner with her complaint.

Carter hopes her story prevents it from happening to someone else. She said the braid shop offered to redo her hair, but she didn't want that. She wanted her $180 back, which she said they wouldn't do.

"This right here is going to be a mark for the rest of my life, this scar. My hair is not going to grow back."

Janet'

OMGee...this is a disaster!!!! My mom always told me to be careful who I let "play" in my hair and I take this seriously as an adult. I feel so sorry for her!

chasturner84

Woooow, that is horrible. I remember being referred to a particular braid shop and when I saw the place, the roaches quickly let me know that I shouldn't be there. The braiders themselves were just as questionable...there was no way I would let any of them near my head :nono:

eyunka

After a couple experience with African braiders in my neck of the woods, i choose to teach myself how to braid!

Last edited:

Yoshi3329

Dayum! The ER over some braids? Aren't hairstylists supposed to have short cropped, CLEAN nails?

LadyRaider

I had my hair braided exactly one time for about 2 days. They were too tight. I called back the Thursday evening I had it done (cornrows) and asked that the lady redo them because some were too tight. But when I woke up Friday morning, I thought they were getting better, so I called and canceled.

Well no, I was wrong. They were still bothering me. So on Saturday morning, when the braider wasn't available before Monday, I sat down and took out those extensions myself. I couldn't believe the tiny wefts of hair at my hair line that were doing the duty of holding thick, BSL length braids.

A few other people told me I was supposed to just take Aspirin and deal with the pain. Ummmm. no.

Esthi777

This is what upsets me about MRSA. Nobody can exactly prove where it came from. The woman could have scratched her head and gave MRSA to herself. You can pick it up from anything. That's why we all need to wash our hands. It says a few weeks later she woke up to puffy face. MRSA and staph take about 3 days after initial infection to show symptoms. People want to blame salons for everything and in some cases these places could be spreading infectious diseases but weeks later? I don't know..

Tamster

OMG! This is INSANE. Esthi I see what youare saying about MRSA but still. Good lord :nono: . I was contemplating braids but I'll just do it myself *searches lhcf*

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
This is what upsets me about MRSA. Nobody can exactly prove where it came from. The woman could have scratched her head and gave MRSA to herself. You can pick it up from anything. That's why we all need to wash our hands. It says a few weeks later she woke up to puffy face. MRSA and staph take about 3 days after initial infection to show symptoms. People want to blame salons for everything and in some cases these places could be spreading infectious diseases but weeks later? I don't know..
I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks later.
Sorry this happened to girl though I hope she recovers.

Nasdaq_Diva

Dayum! The ER over some braids? Aren't hairstylists supposed to have short cropped, CLEAN nails?
This is a braid shop, so they have no license and aren't regulated to get a cosmetology license.

I wish all states would have such regulations: credit hours to get a cosmetology license whether it be strictly for natural hair, braiding, or overall haircare.

mscocoface

I think there should be at least a basic understanding of hygene and understanding what the issues are concerning braiding hair particularly if you are going to open a shop and sell your services.

Cleaning of the shop, making sure it is safe to do business and have services there.
Cleaning of the tools such as combs, brushes, etc. Do they even clean these items regularly? You don't know especially if no one is regulated or governed to do so.

Tiye

Yeah I didn't want to go here ... but that was my first thought.

Tiye

This is a braid shop, so they have no license and aren't regulated to get a cosmetology license.

I wish all states would have such regulations: credit hours to get a cosmetology license whether it be strictly for natural hair, braiding, or overall haircare.

It is the law in my state. But this doesn't change the service provider to customer dynamic. Also if a stylist has sloppy or shoddy habits there's nothing special about sitting in a class listening to a teacher read from Milady that's going to magically change that. And there's no reason to assume that a braider doesn't know about cleanliness and sanitation because s/he's from another country.

Lucky's Mom

Hmmm... It is a sad situation - but I would argue that MANY of the braiding salons out there ( homes, salons, etc) are not sanitary. You are taking a chance no matter what. I walked into a braid shop ( one well known here in So. Cali...) and I was AFRAID of the questionable stylists and surroundings.... Hair dropped to the floor - and was used on the head of clients..... They were not getting anywhere near my head.

I guess i just had to put my 2 cents in. I trust ONE person to do my cornrows. I have known her for over 20 years.... otherwise... I braid my own extensions.

yodie

All of these stories are making me more and more leery of going to the salon again. Actually I went two weeks ago and that experience made me decide to continue on my own journey.

libertysince05

Couldnt agree more. the salon just seems like an easy target.
Also if there was a scratch it should have shown symptons not weeks later but days...