troubled with new length (vent)

devilish1

I have been having trouble adjusting to the length of my hair as far as styling, manuevering and shampooing. Most of my life I have had ear to chin length hair. Now it is bsl. Since I have been growing my hair there has been one frustration after another. I have never had to style my hair because it was never really long. Maintaining this length is just as stressful. I don't know how to rollerset, my airdry comes out fluffy and my flat iron comes out with creases in my hair. Most times i do not want to go anywhere because I do not kow what to do with my hair. Growing it isn't a problem. I, for the most part, have been ablo figure a routine. I don't trust stylist because I know they would sabotage my hair. Is there anyone who went thru this and if so, how did you adjust?

You probably just need practice,practice,practice. Maybe one of the LHCFers can give you tips at your next local meeting on flatironing and rollersetting.
Or search the web for flatiron techniques. I know that for flatironing it's supposed to help to hold the end of the hair and maintain some tension as you slide the plates down the length. You could also be having an issue with your hair products or maybe its the flatiron causing the problem.
You could try posting separate threads with technique questions too. I.e., one for flatironing, one on protective styling, etc.

Ok, let me begin by saying both congratulations and I'm sooo jealous. That's like the model saying...I'm too pretty.;)
But I agree, to become good at something foreign, you gotta practice. And with hair that length is seems it would also be easier to put it up into an elegant bun or curly ponytail to help maintain healthy ends.

Good luck!

I agree about practicing. That's part of what makes the hair journey so much fun. I practiced until I could consistently create a style that I loved, then went on to practice at another style. LHCF has all the tips and more you need!

practice. Just keep trying especially with the roller setting.

Have you thought about Caruso rollers. Or mesh rollers for wet setting.

With the dents when flat ironing, either you are holding your iron too tight, or you are resting in one spot too long. I get dents when I do eitther one.

I know that I'm beating a dead horse here but practice, practice, practice. And congratulations your hair looks beautiful in your pics.

chiprecious said:
Ok, let me begin by saying both congratulations and I'm sooo jealous. That's like the model saying...I'm too pretty.;)
But I agree, to become good at something foreign, you gotta practice. And with hair that length is seems it would also be easier to put it up into an elegant bun or curly ponytail to help maintain healthy ends.

Good luck!

that is tooo funny. but i c ur point. thanx for the compliment. i just get so frustrated with this hair. i guess u should really be careful what u wish for. i will practice with some styles.

thank u

thank u all for the compliments. i guess i better get to searching. has anyone ever gotten so frustrated to the point they just cut it to a manageable length?

devilish1 said:
thank u all for the compliments. i guess i better get to searching. has anyone ever gotten so frustrated to the point they just cut it to a manageable length?

First of all enjoy your new length and DON'T cut it. Like everyone else said it will take some time to get use to your new length, just stick around here for a while, you'll get the hang of it. This is how I was when I first came to LHCF. I was use to my hair being the same length for YEARS! Finally, after searching high and low on the board, I found out tons of amazing information on hair styling, products, etc. My hair had gotten so long that sometimes it would feel heavy in the shower from the weight of the water! Just try to keep it as simple as possible. You'll find that the longer your hair gets, the more you just want a simple, low maintenance routine. Good luck.

devilish1 said:
I have been having trouble adjusting to the length of my hair as far as styling, manuevering and shampooing. Most of my life I have had ear to chin length hair. Now it is bsl. Since I have been growing my hair there has been one frustration after another. I have never had to style my hair because it was never really long. Maintaining this length is just as stressful. I don't know how to rollerset, my airdry comes out fluffy and my flat iron comes out with creases in my hair. Most times i do not want to go anywhere because I do not kow what to do with my hair. Growing it isn't a problem. I, for the most part, have been ablo figure a routine. I don't trust stylist because I know they would sabotage my hair. Is there anyone who went thru this and if so, how did you adjust?

i was going throught the same thing. i cant rollerset so save my life!you need to find styles that are quick, easy and also retain your ever growing length. i suggest buns (using a bobby pin to clip under, rather than a hair scrunchie which crushes ends). i'm in buns all this summer, its about preparation, i knew in autumn that i needed 2 decide on a style, as i couldn't wear a hat anymore (which i did daily with my hair under a durag)..

i'm also gonna be wearing alot of headscarves, one of every colour to wear with an outfit. braidouts, updos etc..just take time and relax, enjoy your length by keepingit simple :)

devilish1 said:

Same here! My hair just got to BSL, and I have a difficult time flat ironing it in the back.

Back