True or False-Straightening natural hair damages your curl pattern?

True or False

• True

Votes: 55 43.0%
  • False

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Yes and No...I'll explain

Votes: 44 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tylers-mom

Well I'm currently about a year into my transition into natural hair and I am going natural because I want to embrace my texture...it's not so much about the chemicals. That being said-I normally wear my hair in braid outs, twist outs or wet buns. I work in a corporate environment and heard rumbings that the executive vp of my department no longer cared for my hair. :perplexed

So after getting advice, etc. etc. I decided to wear it straight more often. I am NOT happy about this decision at all....especially knowing that it could potentially ruin my natural curl pattern. My hair is pretty healthy-I co-wash, deep condition, pre-poo, etc. I've gotten it straightened by regular blowdry/flat iron and I've done the dominican blow dry (with the brush) /flat iron as well.So is it true? Does apply heat to get it straight ruin your curl pattern? Any suggestions on wearing it straight??

dicapr

It really depends on the individual. I was pressed for years as a child but never lost my curl pattern. My hair became easier to press, but it reverted with each and every washed.

Lynnerie

It depends everyone's hair is different.

Some people can apply the highest of temperatures and their hair can handle the heat and they don't lose their curl pattern.

Others can blowdry once and now they have loosened their curl pattern throughout or may have a section or more of straight pieces.

It's terrible that your VP is even concerned about your hair instead of appreciating the value you bring, but I'm in coporate America so I feel your pain (my VP just sits in another location tho)

If you are going to straighten, there are other ways to do so besides blowdrying/pressing like rollersetting, banding your hair to stretch it out and then flat ironing on a low setting or my favorite option... put a wig on it or weave it up!

I can say this- when I was a child my mom pressed my hair by the stove and it eventually became permanently straight. I had no more curl pattern. As a natural today I stick to flat irons. My hair just can't handle a pressing comb.

ThickHair

I say true, but everyone is different. Some can take the heat other's can't. Do you really want to be in the situation and find out that your hair can't take it? A lot of people do not believe in heat damage, they believe in heat training. I hate to burst bubbles but ,heat training IS heat damage, call it what cha like.

I am proud to be heat and chemical free for 13+ years. I can honestly say that I have not thought about using either. I see no need for heat and chemicals in MY LIFE.

LovelyNaps26

serious question: why are there 50-11 threads on straightening in the past week alone? did i miss something? :look:

jennboo

1) Has the VP expressed any disdain for your hair to you, personally? I would'nt go by 'rumblngs' in the company.

2) If she HAS commented on your hair in a negative fashion and insinuated that your job is on the line bc of it (as it relates to it's texture/bigness) then isn't that grounds for some sort of legal action?

3)Yes, heat damages your hair. Over tme you will notice that your once vibrant and poppin' tendrils are lackluster, limp, and stringy. Bet on it. You may not notice after 1, 2, or even 3 burn sessions, but eventually you wil notice. You can get by with heat damage if you decide to wear your hair straight for ever and ever, but once you want to rock it in it's textured state it will look cruddy.

4) # 3 is based off of personal experience AND common sense.

LovelyLouboutin

I'm natural and I occasionally straighten my hair. I think if you properly moisturize and use a heat protector you should be fine.

Google Abdul Jabbar Gbajiamilla and Abercrombie. There was a lawsuit filed against Abercrombie for firing a gentleman over his cornrows. You should document everything especially if you VP starts making comments about your natural hair. If he talks to you have him articulate exactly what is his problem/dislikes. Then recap it in an email to him so that it's written down so (god-forbid) if something happens and you need to sue for discrimination you have evidence.

Tiye

serious question: why are there 50-11 threads on straightening in the past week alone? did i miss something? :look:

Maybe everyone who uses heat should just vote "yes" and have done with once and for all. It won't be true (there are variables) but it will end the debate.

virtuenow

Well I use heat pretty regularly and my hair shrinks right back into a twa when I wash it. For goodness sakes I wish My pattern would loosen some. So I guess if u have stong hair like me-- no, it won't. But Get to kn ur hair.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

CurlyMoo

I think a strand or two will get damaged but if you use a heat protectant and use a medium setting without too much heat your hair should revert back. I alway deep condition twice before I straighten, with both protein and moisture conditioner, just to get my hair strong and moisturized before.

ETA: Your boss doesn't have to like your hair. As long as it's neat and clean they can stuff it.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I guess we gettin' fed up with our napps! :grin:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Well I'm currently about a year into my transition into natural hair and I am going natural because I want to embrace my texture...it's not so much about the chemicals. That being said-I normally wear my hair in braid outs, twist outs or wet buns. I work in a corporate environment and heard rumbings that the executive vp of my department no longer cared for my hair. :perplexed

So after getting advice, etc. etc. I decided to wear it straight more often. I am NOT happy about this decision at all....especially knowing that it could potentially ruin my natural curl pattern. My hair is pretty healthy-I co-wash, deep condition, pre-poo, etc. I've gotten it straightened by regular blowdry/flat iron and I've done the dominican blow dry (with the brush) /flat iron as well.So is it true? Does apply heat to get it straight ruin your curl pattern? Any suggestions on wearing it straight??

Hey neighbor!

I think you could get away with a rollerset. Heat does not necessarily ruin your curls BUT you have to be on top of your moisture regimen. Also be careful with potential heat damage.

Good luck!

Your Cheeziness

There should probably be a seperate forum for heat use. I think it's an important enough topic and if there are so many questions, I think LHCF can benefit from it.

To answer your question, OP:

You don't have to default to straightening if you really don't want to. Work on other styles to use in between straightening. You can flexi rod set, wear curly rollersets, chic buns, updos, etc. Straightening isn't (shouldn't) always be a fall-back. Best luck!

Last edited:

PearlyCurly

I say False..but maybe Yes & No.

Because straightening your hair can cause damage but that doesnt mean it will. Also IMO it doesnt matter if you have natural hair or not, i dont think you are more prone to damage just because you are natural.
Heat isnt the enemy, NOT nourishing your hair is.

princessnad

I think you can tell a heat free head from a heat user. The heat user's head wont necessarily look horrible... but it will look different.

With good protein and moisture, you could keep a replica of your natural curl pattern. It will never be the same but that may be a small sacrifice you pay for getting the "best of both worlds."

Or that's at least what I tell myself

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I can't speak for anyone else, but it definitely ruins my curl pattern ... and I don't even have to straighten it excessively to see the damaging results.

My natural hair just does not appreciate a lot of direct heat ... no matter how careful I am. It's been very difficult to get that through my thick skull, but I think I finally got the message now. :ohwell:

qchelle

If you actually like your curl pattern and want to keep it intact, just get a wig to wear to work.

Junebug D

Why so much fuss about heat here lately? :look: Yes, heat can damage your natural curl pattern. It's happened to many people. If it's that important to you to keep your curlies exactly the way they are, then don't gamble.

LongLeggedLife

I personally dont have a problem using heat whenever I feel like it, no problem with reversion, ends, growth etc. Technology has come so far with thermal straightening, I think as long as you are using quality heat tools and heat protectants, there shouldn't be a problem, but this is just my experience.

That said, there is no way I'd do something I didn't want to do with my hair based on rumors which do not affect my job performance, they can feel whatever way they want to feel about it.

aja1121

It depends on how straight you plan on wearing it. If you wear it bone straight, then yes, overtime sometimes immediately (depending on the person) you will notice a difference in your curl pattern. Most naturals that I encounter who experience perfect reversion after each session don't wear their hair stick straight, there is always some texture left.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
As a kid, I had my hair pressed weekly and I kept my pattern. I believe if done right, you won't have damage.

KSand

Cosigning with the PP's. Regularly heat usage can cause damage. I am a prime example... hair looks nice straight but like crap in its natural state. Have you considered bunning? That's a professional look and you won't have to straighten for it.

Ms Lala

I personally dont have a problem using heat whenever I feel like it, no problem with reversion, ends, growth etc. Technology has come so far with thermal straightening, I think as long as you are using quality heat tools and heat protectants, there shouldn't be a problem, but this is just my experience.

That said, there is no way I'd do something I didn't want to do with my hair based on rumors which do not affect my job performance, they can feel whatever way they want to feel about it.

ITA, it doesn't sound like your boss has actually come to you about your hair as an issue, it may just be a rumor. I don't see how the hair that grows out of your head is unprofessional and if they make it an issue they'd see me in court. Honestly if your hair is long enough I think a bun is very professional. Why not do some more textured styles like rollersets or rodsets.

CrownCola

It varies so drastically from person to person. I've used insane amounts of heat lately with full reversion, when in the past, less consistent heat usage screwed my curls all up. If its a concern, I wouldn't even risk it. Especially if you don't yourself prefer the look.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Katherina

Yeah, it depends on your particular hair texture. I didn't even realize my hair was heat damaged until I stopped using heat and all this beautiful thick curly hair came out of my scalp and stayed that way (my hair was dry and thin without a consistent curl pattern before). Be careful! :)

laurend

This site goes through phases, about 2 years ago it was BKT and now it's heat. People get on here and see someone with a beautiful BKT then they gotta have it. Now it's the same thing with heat, it will pass.