TWA to SL - how long did it take ladies?

How long did it take you to get from TWA to full SL?

• 0 - 3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 - 6 months

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 6 - 9 months

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 9 - 12 months

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 12 - 15 months

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • 15 - 18 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintageglam

I am currently full SL with relaxed ends which unfortunately I am not overly happy with and which will be BC'ed when I reach full natural SL. My last relaxer was Aug 2009 so I have about 5 inches of NG. I am hanging onto the relaxed ends purely to allow me to bun and PS.

So how long did it take you ladies to get from a TWA to SL?

TIA :grin:

x Stella

Tangie

When I started my hair journey I had a twa. I don't think it was even a full inch long. I was SL somewhere within 9 to 12 months. I was definitely there by my one year anniversary.

AvaSpeaks

When I started my hair journey I had a twa. I don't think it was even a full inch long. I was SL somewhere within 9 to 12 months. I was definitely there by my one year anniversary.

How are you some of you ladied getting to be SL in just a little over a year from a TWA?

If hair is growing 1/2 in per month, then wouldn't it be more like 24 months? Or maybe about 2 years? I mean it wouldn't it take like 12 months to get 6 inches if you are getting about 1/2 per month?

Is my math off or something :huh:

Nonie

How are you some of you ladied getting to be SL in just a little over a year from a TWA?

If hair is growing 1/2 in per month, then wouldn't it be more like 24 months? Or maybe about 2 years? I mean it wouldn't it take like 12 months to get 6 inches if you are getting about 1/2 per month?

Is my math off or something :huh:

I think it's because most people claim a length when the nape length gets to that length.

So no one's neck is 12 inches long, so they would just need 6 inches or so for the nape hair to be shoulder or collarbone length.

Also most people BC when they have a few inches of growth so they're not really starting from zero.

My BC took me to about 3 inches stretched so it didn't take me that long to get to SL. Also the journey to SL is the easiest because hair isn't fighting your clothes and losing.

Tangie

I think it's because most people claim a length when the nape length gets to that length.

So no one's neck is 12 inches long, so they would just need 6 inches or so for the nape hair to be shoulder or collarbone length.

Also most people BC when they have a few inches of growth so they're not really starting from zero.

My BC took me to about 3 inches stretched so it didn't take me that long to get to SL. Also the journey to SL is the easiest because hair isn't fighting your clothes and losing.

Right. At SL I had about 6 inches of hair and that put me at shoulder length. My nape was actually shorter because I kept it blunt cut at that time.

Jewell

I was brushing my shoulders from a BC to TWA (4" max in length, couldn't make a ponytail) by Dec. 08 from a BC in late June 08 (6 mos).

Vintageglam

In 9 days it'll be 3 years and I'm still not quite there.

Hey B_Phlyy - have you had some set backs along the way or done some chops along the way?

great thread! :yep:

wow, 5 inches in only 8 months? what's your regimen?

Thanks pookie - I hope other ladies also find this useful :lol:

Re reggie - absoloutely nothing - I think I had masses and I say masses of growth when I was weaved up late last year bc of the strict no manipulation under the weave. However, I have weak edges that I am also trying to sort out so the weave had to be retired. If you have strong edges you could try weaves for about 6 months, you really get some good growth but keep your maintenance of the weave on point or you will get damage. Check out Ediese's thread which has useful tips.

I am now thinking to do the same thing with half wigs. :yep:

ETA: Forgot to say I went from neck length in August to Shoulder length in January/ February.

Great Thread, OP. Very encouraging for me.

Glad to hear that ! :lol:

The Elephant is taking notes:grin:

Hmmm...shoulder length in a year stretched or unstretched?

Hey there Elephant I hear you are joining the natural side next year !!!

Btw I am referring to stretched. The alternative would be a mean feat. :lol:

Last edited:

aquafinawetwet

now that i think about it my hair grew really fast in braids it took about 6 months for me too realize i finally was sl i think that was my easiest length to achieve because i didn't see it at all and it was on to the next apl.

Are you guys shoulder length from your crown to your shoulders or are you saying SL begins from where the hair on your nape touches your shoulder?

SmilingElephant

Hey B_Phlyy - have you had some set backs along the way or done some chops along the way?

Thanks pookie - I hope other ladies also find this useful :lol:

Re reggie - absoloutely nothing - I think I had masses and I say masses of growth when I was weaved up late last year bc of the strict no manipulation under the weave. However, I have weak edges that I am also trying to sort out so the weave had to be retired. If you have strong edges you could try weaves for about 6 months, you really get some good growth but keep your maintenance of the weave on point or you will get damage. Check out Ediese's thread which has useful tips.

I am now thinking to do the same thing with half wigs. :yep:

ETA: Forgot to say I went from neck length in August to Shoulder length in January/ February.

Glad to hear that ! :lol:

Hey there Elephant I hear you are joining the natural side next year !!!

Btw I am referring to stretched. The alternative would be a mean feat. :lol:

Yep:yep:

I am actually starting my transition now instead of next year though:D

Chameleonchick

I am looking to find out for myself. I hopw when I take these twists down I will be there or really close. The back might be there but it will be a while before my front gets that long.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn

Oh, yeah, definitely. I am a hard learner when it comes to my hair. I will know good and well that a certain style or product will mess me up, but somehow I'll convince myself "it'll be different this time". Coupled with the fact that I have slow growing hair to begin with, I'm amazed I have any hair to speak of period.

But I think I've got a good routine down now. I retained pretty much all my length from November until now and except for a little dryness, my hair is coming along fine.

lovelyone80

I cut my hair in Sept 2008, and about Sept 09 it was shoulder length unstretched so about a year. Right now, the sides of my hair are collar bone, and the back is about 5 to 6 inches above my bra. BSL is about 12 inches for me from nape to bra.

1. I am short (5'1)
2. Nape to Shoulder is about 5 inches

It took me a year and by Sept 2010 I am hoping to be BSL if my hair keeps growing like this but I had some minor health set backs and my hair didn't seem like it was growing for a while. Plus I think I need a protein to strength my hair.

skegeesmb

Straightened my hair didn't take long to get to SL. Right now I transitioned for 9 months, my nape is about 3 inches away from SL. The other part of my hair..well not so much.

ronie

19 months post relaxer, 8 months post BC (transitioned for 11 months) flat iron. I claimed SL at that time.

image-32181483.jpg

image-180004548.jpg

image-2726928526.jpg

naija24

If you pull your nape forward and it touches your collarbone, is that SL? SL is so confusing because I see so many different women claim it but there's no consensus.

I think I'm SL at 20 months after a fade.

WaistLengthDreams

This is exciting to know that a year from now I could be shoulder length. Of course, it'll probably still look like a twa. But I'll take that if the length is in there. Great post!