Naturals: How Long did it take you to get from SL to APL and from APL to BSL?

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:
I am going to straighten my hair for the first time in almost a year. I cannot even remember what my hair looked like, LOL.

I believe it will be about SL natural at this point (when straightened), which is not too bad.

I am wanting to get growth more than just to straighten it, so I'm going to avoid straightening it.

How long did it take you ladies (naturals) to go from SL to APL and from APL to BSL?

I'm trying to figure out! Thanks!

Oh, and post any tips

brownsugarflyygirl

Im not sure how long it took me...maybe about a year...maybe less...shrugs..(ETA:According to my siggy, it took me a year to go from neck length to APL).but I did want to say that I think its EASIER for naturals who dont straighten to overcome the SL to APL hurdle because of shrinkage. Our hair doesnt rub our clothes and get caught in things because when were SL our shrinkage makes us like ear or neck length...so the real hurdle is APL to BSL in my opinion for naturals because thats when our shrinkage plus hang time lands us about SL and the rubbage starts to occur. Haha I know that was kinda of a tangent....but just wanted to share my theory.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Im not sure how long it took me...maybe about a year...maybe less...shrugs..(ETA:According to my siggy, it took me a year to go from neck length to APL).but I did want to say that I think its EASIER for naturals who dont straighten to overcome the SL to APL hurdle because of shrinkage. Our hair doesnt rub our clothes and get caught in things because when were SL our shrinkage makes us like ear or neck length...so the real hurdle is APL to BSL in my opinion for naturals because thats when our shrinkage plus hang time lands us about SL and the rubbage starts to occur. Haha I know that was kinda of a tangent....but just wanted to share my theory.

:yep: That makes perfect sense, actually!!!! I'm not there yet (just brushing up on shoulder) but yeah, it's VERY easy to keep my hair up 'off'.

GoldenBreeze

Sl to APL went quick for me; it took 4 months. However APL to BSL was another story that took 8 - 9 months.

This is what worked for me:
-Keeping my hair in protective styles
-Moisturizing and sealing with natural oils or butters.
(especially the ends)
-CO washing (I have a no poo regimen)
-Untangling only when my hair is wet and full of conditioner,
and only with a wide-toothed comb or my denman.
-I sleep with a silk scarf, satin bonnet, or on silk pillow case.

NewYorkgyrl

I have not been able to retain length and my ends are jacked up. But then again I need to get more serious about my haircare. I wish I could go from SL to APL in 4 months!!! WOW!

danigurl18

Sl to APL went quick for me; it took 4 months. However APL to BSL was another story that took 8 - 9 months.

This is what worked for me:
-Keeping my hair in protective styles
-Moisturizing and sealing with natural oils or butters.
(especially the ends)
-CO washing (I have a no poo regimen)
-Untangling only when my hair is wet and full of conditioner,
and only with a wide-toothed comb or my denman.
-I sleep with a silk scarf, satin bonnet, or on silk pillow case.

What kind of oils and butters did you use?

GoldenBreeze

I have not been able to retain length and my ends are jacked up. But then again I need to get more serious about my haircare. I wish I could go from SL to APL in 4 months!!! WOW!

It's okay girl, just keep working on your haircare. It will happen. :yep:
This isn't a race, it's a journey. Just think how good you will be at
taking care of your hair when you do reach APL/BSL/MBL/WL and
beyond, if you wish.

GoldenBreeze

What kind of oils and butters did you use?

Oils:
jojoba
sweet almond
macadamia
camilina
emu
monoi
castor

Butters:
jojoba
avocado
hemp seed
olive
aloe
red palm

I posted this earlier and forgot castor oil, and red palm butter so I added them to this list.

PhonyBaloney500

Sl to apl....a while. Over a year probably! Apl to bsl 6 months or 8. I credit less frequent trims as part of it (like 3 times a year).

NewYorkgyrl

It's okay girl, just keep working on your haircare. It will happen. :yep:
This isn't a race, it's a journey. Just think how good you will be at
taking care of your hair when you do reach APL/BSL/MBL/WL and
beyond, if you wish.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have been slacking so so bad. Threads like these give me inspiration to shape up and get it together LOL

cocoberry10

Thanks, and BTW your hair is gorgeous:yep::drool: :drool:

GoingNatural

Shoulder length to APL (June-December). So about 6 months.

APL to BSL (December-June) About 6 months

I'm just kind of eyeing it based on my fotki...

Last edited:

Cichelle

SL---> APL = about 9 months
APL--> BSL/MBL (bottom of bra strap) = about 7/8 months

I SOOO agree with GoldenBreeze.

cocoberry10

Shoulder length to APL (June-December). So about 6 months.

APL to BSL (December-June) About 6 months

I'm just kind of eyeing it based on my fotki...

That's pretty good and consistent. I hope I am like that. I'm a little below shoulder now (although I haven't straightened in almost a year, so I don't know what length it would be straight).

I would love to wait until like September/October to straighten, but I probably won't be able to wait that long!

cocoberry10

SL---> APL = about 9 months
APL--> BSL/MBL (bottom of bra strap) = about 7/8 months

I SOOO agree with GoldenBreeze.

Did you do a lot of protective styling (i.e. buns, etc.)?

Also, did you use heat during that time?

I'm trying to figure out whether heat will stunt that growth!

Cichelle

Did you do a lot of protective styling (i.e. buns, etc.)?

Also, did you use heat during that time?

I'm trying to figure out whether heat will stunt that growth!

I didn't use any heat and I kept it in protective styles just about everyday. I have a high tolerance for boring hair. It paid off, though.

LadyD

I wonder why it seems to take so much longer to go from SL to APL, than it does from APL to BSL???

This has been the biggest hurdle for ma also. I am stuck between sl and apl. I have been wearing puffs lately. I am going back to buns and making sure I moisturize twice a day and see if this helps.

LayneJ

I have layers, so I won't be full anything for a while.

With that said, my longest layer is about 1 in. away from APL. I'm hoping to be there by Sept, and that would make it 8 months.

Cheleigh

Let's see: in May 2006 (two months after the BC), I was near collarbone in the back.

I was about SL September 06. By October 07, I'd reached low APL, so it took about 9 or 10 months to reach APL.

By about April 08, I'd reached BSL, so about 6-7 months between low APL and BSL.

My hair grows just slower than average.

glamazon386

I'd be at APL now if it wasn't for my highlights being cut out. So I'd say about 6 months from SL to APL. I've not made BSL yet.

Ediese

Your August siggie pic is RIDICULOUS! Great job!