Twisting children's natural hair

nicki23

Twisting children\'s natural hair

Does anybody do two-strand twists on their little girls hair? I have a five year old and I want to try doing twists on her hair for the first time. My major concern is that I will spend hours twisting her hair and then it will unravel within a day. Also, what regimen do you follow as far as shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers. When I cornrow her hair I usually just use grease after I shampoo, but her hair sucks up all the moisture within a day and her hair look ashy again. I'm really wanting to twist her hair for selfish reasons. I am currently transitioning to natural and her hair is thick and bushy like mine, so if I can learn different styles on her then I'm hoping that it will be easier when I cut my relaxed hair off. Thanks in advance for your suggesstions.

ms_kenesha

Re: Twisting children\'s natural hair

I twist my own hair. I con-wash with something like V05 or Pantente. I also have a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a lil conditioner to re-wet my hair as I twist. If her hair sucks up moisture I would suggest using Kemi Oyl Shea Pomade when you twist her hair *a dab'll do ya* I don't use any real leave-in when I twist either. My hair is a 4a/b and my hair doesn't unravel, but depending on how I've been caring for them *whether I rinse or not & whether I've diligently tied my hair up at night* it takes anywhere from 3-7 days to get fuzzy.

I hope that made sense and helped, if not I can re-explain.

kitten73

that is one of the many styles i do on deja. i love it, she looks like a little raggedy ann doll when they are done. she has natural hair, i guess it's a 3a-3b. the first thing i do is take out the old style and apply a hot oil to her scalp (i don't bother with heating the oil though) i then apply a moisturizing conditioner like Hollywood Olive Oil. this is to soften her hair before washing and to detangle it. i then rinse after a half hour or so and use cream of nature shampoo. i give her a treatment like Motions CPR or Emergencia (it's the dominican one not Nexxuss). i put on a cap and let her sit for 20 minutes or so. then back to the sink and i rinse with the cream of nature conditioner and i then squeeze the water out and i spray a detangler on her hair, apply some salerm 21 to it and comb it through. then i blowdry her hair using some oil moisturizer (any will do but i use B&B castor oil moisturizer) and I blowdry her hair. you can let hers airdry but i don't like the shrinkage so i blowdry it straight. blowing it straight helps when twisting too, makes the twist hang nicely. now i proceed to greasing her scalp and then i start my twist. i apply a little bit of lock and twist gel to the twist as i do them, this helps to hold and give them a shine. I let her hair stay like this for two to three weeks. i spray daily with oil sheen. they are great because when it's time to take them out they literally unravel. let me know if you need anything else. it sounds like alot but deja and i make time for hair day. she gathers her gameboy and some snacks and we turn on nicktoons and she is straight. it takes me about 3 hours to do it all but it's worth it.

GodMadeMePretty

evanne,

How many twists would you say is in her hair? How big are the sections? Do you then style the twists by making updo's, etc.?

nicki23

Thanks you guys. One more question, do you use the pomade or gel on the entire section of hair that you're twisting or do you just use it on the ends to hold them in place?

kitten73

oh goodness, there are always too many to count
. i would say at least 100, her hair is thick but not very long, maybe just past her chin in the front and the sides and a little longer in the back. i make tiny little box parts, there aren't perfect, i really just seperate it and then twist. when it starts to look fuzzy, i will do two ponytails on the top or pushed back with a headband. when it's really tore up, i pull them all back in one pony. it depends.

kitten73

i put a little on the whole section of hair. i use that stuff very sparingly since it's not cheap. you don't need much, it doesn't make the hair hard but you don't want the build up. as i twist down i put a tiny bit more as i go down the twist. i do the same when i braid her hair, i continue to dab grease on her braid as i go down. her hair gets super frizzy so this helps to hold it.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
Who makes the lock and twist gel? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Organic Root Stimulator

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts

i might have to try this on my daughters hair but with flat twists in the front to save some time

GodMadeMePretty

I'm going to have to pick this up this weekend. But my daughter's hair is long so I don't know if she would sit still for that many twists. I may do flat twists in the front also. Or I may just have to do it while she's asleep.