My mother's protective style: twisting with thread

JFK

I'm thinking of threading to resist my urge to relax...I just need to leave my hair alone. Serious case of HIH going on. Has anyone done this lately?

infojunkie

I'm intrigued. I like this one for a special event:

Wow, ya'll have got to know I wanna learn how to do this now! Can I get some tutorial links?

Somebody?

Anybody?

:look:

SimJam

soo pretty !!!

off to stalk youtube. then I'll ask my stylists if she thinks she cud do it. maybe the lady there who does locks may be able to do it for me :)

BlackDiamond21

Great Post... I may try that I transition.

For those ladies who have had it done, is it possible to do it yourself or do you have to have someone do it for you? I am all about trying to save money, so I would love to know if this is something I can do myself :)

Fhrizzball

My Auntie (Grandma) is Ghanaian and she does that to my nieces too bad they moved back to Ghana so I can't ask her to do it for me. I guess the only problem would find it in a style that wouldn't look too childish.

brittle_hair

I'm Ghanaian and my mum used to do this to my hair when I was little. I remember getting teased by my Jamaican friends, cos they didn't understand why I had thread in my hair. Wasn't cool to be African back then. That was in the day when you would say Ghana and everyone thought you meant Guyana - anyway I diagress...

greight

My mom did this when I was young, too (I'm East African).

I was thinking about doing this to stretch out my hair without heat..

Adonia1987

I am from Senegal and my mom used to do it to my hair when I was little. Now that I am natural, I do them really big overnight to stretch my hair.
________
Mexicocity hotel

Last edited:

JFK

My family is Sierra Leonean and we do this hairstyle. From reading everyone's post, I think it's safe to say the whole diaspora does this style in some fashion.

Anyway, I think I'm going to do this for my daughter and myself God willing.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing people with something similar here in DC some time ago. I think they called it "Silky Dreds" when they got it done at the gallery.

Keen

Yep, I remember this from Haiti. I thought we were the only one who twist like this

morehairplease

Never heard of this style but it is pretty! I am getting my hair braided on Saturday and will ask my braider if she can do this style. Thanks for this thread OP/ladies!

ETA: Againstallodds do you mind me asking what relaxer you use?
thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

Last edited:

FebeeSigns

Looks like Yarn Twists to me, aka Genie Locs. It's when you take yarn or thread and wrap it around a braid or twist so it covers the hair, it even acts like an extension sometimes. Black Onyx has a really good tutorial on doing these on youtube

Last edited:

NanieHaitienne

In Haiti my cousins love this style. They do it more like the OP's mom but I like it loose and twist-looking
My aunt did these for me
You can see we didn't fix the ends yet lol

Attachments

• 020-vi.jpg
    020-vi.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 142

JFK

In Haiti my cousins love this style. They do it more like the OP's mom but I like it loose and twist-looking
My aunt did these for me
You can see we didn't fix the ends yet lol

They look soooo cute!

I am from Senegal and my mom used to do it to my hair when I was little. Now that I am natural, I do them really big overnight to stretch my hair.

Been looking for ways to stretch my hair without heat. Banding for some reason just doesn't work for me. Could you please explain or even do a pic tutorial on how to do this? Thanks a mil..

WAVES4DAYS

My grandmother did this to my mom and her sisters hair every summer, but used stockings/pantyhose instead. Their hair was left like this for the entire summer. They all have/had beautiful hair.

favoured

My mom used to do this for me when I was much younger but I never liked it though. I prefered the french braids or cornrows.
This sure brought back some memories growing up in 9JA.

UGQueen

i used to love this style as a kid,
my parents are from uganda so my mom got the style comes from the motherland

Last edited:

JerriBlank

I'm Angolan and I used to have it done when I was little, it made my hair grow so much so I decided to do it again last year, my mom did it for me.

It's what helped me reach APL and I'm planning on doing it again next year in the summer.

I know what they are after seeing this pic!:yep:
Very pretty!!

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Me 15! (Nigerian here!) That is a def. African thing....brought back memories of my childhood (hated to have to sit still to have my mom to do my hair like that). But is a great protective style. :yep:

SchoolCounselor

This thread took me back home to Nigeria, especially the EKO Bridge comment!.

I have thread , always have it at home, I even have the rubber thread...anyone remember that? Maybe I will find a style that does not make me feel like a kid. It is a great protective style.