Twistouts and Braidout methods

kaytorry

Anyone here do twists outs or braidouts everyday? Or do you feel that braiding/twisting every night is too much stress on the hair? I'm currently doing braid-outs; moisturizing, sealing, and braiding nightly. I gently detangle after applying moisturize and before braiding. What are your methods?

darlingdiva

When I first started doing my own hair, I used to retwist it every night. It is way too much manipulation and WAY too time-consuming.

Now I keep my twists in for at least five days before unraveling them for a twistout.

Nonie

I don't do twist-outs and braid-outs, but if I did, I'd redo them nightly. I've never gone to bed w/o putting my hair in some braids or twists for the night and no "-out" style will get me to start.

Heck, when wearing my hair out, not only do I braid it every night, but I also comb it out every morning. So no, to me, redoing twists and braids in the PM so as to wear an "-out" in the AM is not too much manipulation.

IMO you end up doing more manipulation and probably causing more trauma to your hair during detangling later on than you would redoing twists/braids nightly.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I would say do what works for your hair. If your hair responds well to wearing it loose daily then go for it! Everyone doesn't have really fragile hair that will break as soon as you look at it. I know a few naturals who do braid or twist outs daily and they have bsl hair or apl so you can still have a decent length using that method.

Windsy

When I did them; I re-twisted nightly BUT it was too much maniuplation on my hair so I stopped doing twist-outs.

Bublin

I re-do nightly but i do not use a comb on hair that has been dampened and moisturised, i just lightly finger comb.
I do braid out's every other week.

LadyRaider

As a kid, my mom combed and braided my hair every evening and my hair was long. So I'm hoping I can keep doing that. I think I need to braid my hair up at night... it worries me if it's loose under my satin cap.

coilsgonewild

I also twist or braid nightly. However i do not detangle nightly and when i re-twist I do it in much larger sections than the initial twist-out. This works since i am not detangling, my hair is already in smaller sections. at night time i normally put like 6 big twist in my hair and call it a night!

Cherokee-n-Black

I usually try to get 2nd day hair from a braid out (have only been successful a few times) and then I re-do. Co-wash or just water wash full detangling, and braid up. Braid outs are always tough on my ends for some odd reason.

allmundjoi

I am wearing twistouts for the summer. I retwist every night sans a comb-finger detangling is enough. I only use a comb on wash day-a wide tooth shower comb in hair w/oodles of conditioner.

Sent from my DROIDX

alive

kaytorry, depending on the length of your hair, you might be able to get away with naptural85's method of carefully gathering her hair into one big bunny tail and tying it down with a silk scarf. I personally haven't tried this method, but it achieves the same purpose of keeping the hair from tangling and her style seems to stay intact the next morning

HTH

nicole625

I learned that doing three strand twists gives you tighter twists so when I do them, they last three days easily without needing to be retwisted

Nonie

What's a three-strand twist?

kaytorry Cherokee-n-Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCbC1UK77DU

I did it once. Not only was it a pain to undo, it tangled my hair something crazy, took longer than the two strand twist and didn't look as pretty when done. Did I mention I was in a panic taking my hair out...and it took FOR EV ER? :wallbash: I guess it takes skill to do them right. Skills I clearly don't have.

Need I tell you which is the 3-strand one below? So nah, I'll pass on 3-strand.

Attachments

• 3-strand vs 2-strand twists.jpg
    3-strand vs 2-strand twists.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 81

Roux

i alternate between braid outs and twist outs and wash n go's during the week. It will usually go like this.

Wash my hair set in braids
braid out, pineapple that night.
braid out puff
twists on dry hair
twist out, pineapple that night
twist out puff
wash n go
updo
wash again

so yeah, that's how iu'll get through the week. my hair is thriving from it personally.

Evolving78

i a rocking a twistout this week. instead of twisting nightly, i found a method on YT where you can just put 6 ponytails in instead of twisting. this way the hair stays stretched and won't cause tangles. but this week i just moisturize and retwist nightly.

nicole625

I think this video explains the 3 strand twist method a bit clearer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewoVRm9rGE&feature=related

Personally i can't see the point. Why not just do a plait/braid?

with my hair personally, braid outs doesn't work. i dont know if its because my hair is only 4 inches or what. also, you don't achieve the same look with a 3 strand twist that you do with a plait/braid. i never had any issues with them.

A856

i alternate between braid outs and twist outs and wash n go's during the week. It will usually go like this.

Wash my hair set in braids
braid out, pineapple that night.
braid out puff
twists on dry hair
twist out, pineapple that night
twist out puff
wash n go
updo
wash again

so yeah, that's how iu'll get through the week. my hair is thriving from it personally.

what does this mean??:ohwell:

pookaloo83

I retwist every night. No comb just a spritz of water and my moisturizer. Then put on my satin bonnet. Takes me about 15-20 mins outta my night to retwist. I have very fine hair and barely lose hair in the process.

tiffjust2002

I wear twist outs and braids out often and I don't retwist or rebraid every night I can go about 2-3 days on the same twist out or braid out. I just put my satin bonnet on at night and then in the morning take it off and fluff and go.

empressri

well OP your hair is straight in your siggy...so i dont know if you're wearing your hair straight while doing said styles in which case you could get away with combing or brushing...but personally at night if i have a braidout or twistout i dont and well, cant comb or brush anything. i just add a little moisturizer, put my hair in four big braids and put a scarf on top. in the morning i may do a little pomade on top to smooth my hair down but that's it.

Mrs.TheBronx

I twist my hair very tight to get a sort of telephone cord twist out...

Follow me @ My blog... http://triplehd.blogspot.com

Twist in...

Twist out...

sugarwater

I don't rebraid/retwist every night. I truly find that crazy and time consuming (I'M LAZY lol) considering how often I do braid outs and twist out! I redo like every 3-5 days and just pin the sides up. If one side looks worn from sleeping on it I pin it to the side as a updo.

When my hair gets longer I'll start to wear my braids and twist out before i tae them out