Twofold Question About Moisturizers

Godyssey

Firstly, what is your most FAVORITE water based moisturizer?

Secondly, do you feel it necessary to switch up your moisturizers to get the best results, or can one moisturizer be consistent ALL of the time, year round? Is this part two questions?:perplexed

Anyway, I'm asking because I find that moisturizers work really well for me in the beginning, then weeks later they don't seem to work as well. I must moisturize everyday as my hair has always drank up moisturizer like crazy, but I also clarify when I feel I have product buildup.

Whimsy

Cantu leave in conditioning repair cream.
works so well for me.

I haven't had a need to switch it up yet.

pjbapb

Not to be funny, but I would have to say that my favorite water based moisturizer is...water. Having said that, I switch up my moisturizers all the time. I always come back to the good old H2O though.

AlliCat

NTM silk touch and cantu shea butter comes second. I alternate the two depending on if my hair needs protein vs moisture

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I tend it switch my moisturizers around depending on how I style my hair.

I use: Its a 10 leave in (my hair LOVES this stuff)
Aveda Smooth Infusion
Aveda Be Curly Infusion
Plain old water and JBCO/Coconut Oil. I use Vatika during the warm months and Fractionated Coconut Oil during the winter.

Mische

My favorite is Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme. I haven't used it during summer weather yet, but it works like a charm in winter without being heavy so I don't see myself needing to switch.

Now if I were using a glycerin heavy moisturizer in the summer, I'd probably have to use something else during the winter. I bought a bottle of Hairveda Whipped Ends to try, but I'm not even touching that stuff until spring. :lol:

Godyssey

Thank you all for the suggestions. :smile:

I always come back to the good old H2O though.

I've tried spritzing my hair with water mixed with conditioner and other concoctions, but the moisture doesn't last long for me.

NTM silk touch and cantu shea butter comes second. I alternate the two depending on if my hair needs protein vs moisture

I've used NTM silk touch for years but it isn't consistantly moisturizing for me. I'm now seeing that cantu products seem to be pretty popular moisturizers.

My favorite is Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme.

Never heard of that one before. That's another that I'll have to look into. Thanks.

EllePixie

Oyin Honey Hemp.

I switch up my moisturizers all the time but it's really depending on the dew point outside and how I wanna smell that day. :)

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
World of Curls Curl Activator gel and Aloe vera gel.

Daily or as needed, I spritz my hair with a mixture of aloe juice, glycerin spriz, and some eo's.

lolascurls

I switch up all the time but something that I use consistently is a spray mix of water (4-5 parts) and aloe vera juice (1 part).
I am using Hairveda's Whipped ends currently because I am trying out the sample sizes! I may try my cantu shea butter stuff though (see what i said about switching it up).

Charz

Sinister Minister
I think it's important to rotate your products, so that your hair does not build a tolerance to them.

I rotate between
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Butter Cream

Last edited:

AlliCat

I think it's important to rotate your products, so that you hair does not build a tolerance to them.

I rotate between
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Butter Cream

I agree! I find this is also true with my facial cleansers

Minty

Keracare natural Textures LIC is pretty decent.
Phyto 9
Tigi S Factor - Silky Smooth Serum

(I don't have a favorite - but these are some great options)

AlliCat

I've used NTM silk touch for years but it isn't consistantly moisturizing for me. I'm now seeing that cantu products seem to be pretty popular moisturizers

I personally like the lightness of the NTM. The Cantu I find is heavier/more moisturizing so maybe you should give it a try. you're right it's pretty popular around here

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Right Now I'm liking in no particular order:grin::

My Honey Child Hair Lotions i.e. Burdock Root, Afrikoko, Sophia's, Almond
Bee Mine Luscious Balancing Hair Cream
Afroveda Ms. Bhree Hydrating Hair Cream
Claudie Satin Hair Lotion
Hydratherma Naturals
Darcy Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Hair Cream
Dudley PCA Moisture Retainer
Bear Fruit Hair's Daily Moisturzers

I will Rotate 1-2

nymane

My favorite is Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme. I haven't used it during summer weather yet, but it works like a charm in winter without being heavy so I don't see myself needing to switch.

Now if I were using a glycerin heavy moisturizer in the summer, I'd probably have to use something else during the winter. I bought a bottle of Hairveda Whipped Ends to try, but I'm not even touching that stuff until spring. :lol:

Same here..this has been my staple for almost two years.

qchelle

NTM Silk Touch. I love this stuff.

I didn't know it was good to switch up moisturizers...hmm...I may start doing that.

lovegymnasts

I do not switch up nor does my hair build up a tolerance. If you feel your hair has built up a tolerance, I would suggest clarifying.

For me, consistency is the key. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Consistency
Consistency
Consistency

Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Conditioner mixed with olive oil and wheat germ oil

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Lustrasilk and I are forever!

nestlequik

Right now, Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream

Your moisturizer may feel like it's not working b/c of the weather outside like Allicat suggested. It's been dry and cold here so the Burdock Root has been great, but when the summer hits I have a feeling I'll need something to keep the humidity from making my hair even frizzier than normal.

frizzy

My favorite water based leave-in is Lacio Lacio.

I know that moisturizers with silicones can build up on the hair and lock out moisture until you clarify with shampoo. My hair would feel slightly stiff when that would happen, even though it felt "good" and smooth to the touch.

My major hair moisture comes from weelyish DC's with steam. I started out DCing 2X a week for months, until my hair changed and was no longer dry. My hair is never dry anymore and I don't have to add a lot of products to accomplish this.

The leave-in and oil I put on my wet hair on wash day is really enough to carry me until my next wash.