type 4A&B relaxed.. how long do u normally stretch??

4 A&B relaxed, how long do you normally stretch

• 6-8 weeks

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • 8-10 weeks

Votes: 106 23.9%
  • 11-12 weeks

Votes: 139 31.3%
  • 13-16 weeks

Votes: 74 16.7%
  • 16+ (specified)

Votes: 67 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am thinking of stretching till september before school starts.. but i have a wedding I have to dance at in June.. so i might have to relax days before it.. or maybe i'll get my roots blow dry.. i am not sure yet... I want to be shocked.. i'm used to relax at 12 weeks.. I think i am going for 24 weeks.. yay.. right now i am 3 weeks and 2 days post

7 months is the longest for me. But this time around im going 1yr. Im 6 months into it now.

14 weeks was the longest I stretched. What helps me is DC'ng and protein when needed. Co washes and making sure my roots get moisture is key. I am loving Rusk Smoothers leave-in because it makes my NG so soft and easier to manage. I also mix NTM Soft Touch leave-in, MT, EVOO and a few drops of horsetail extract in a applicator bottle for my roots. This has helped combat my shedding. Next time I will go for 5-6 months (God willing).

Last edited:
Normally I stretch 12 weeks but this time I'm going for 20 weeks. My longest stretch was about 16 weeks. I've got approximately 12 more weeks to go. Although if I can manage my ng at 20 weeks, I might try for 28. I'll see how it goes. I've had a shedding spell and I'd like to get my hair back on track before putting any chemicals in it too soon again.

As of today, I've stretched for about 15 weeks. I will be getting a relaxer tomorrow...I can't wait. But my ng (its a lot! maybe 3 inches!) has been manageable with washing every week and flat ironing with my fhi. I have 4a/b hair and have been able to detangle it by handling my hair VERY gently. I dc and put Mizani's Confiderm oil on my scalp (oh thank heaven), chi silk infusion, all of my leave-ins and then flat iron and wrap my hair every night. I haven't been experiencing very much breakage at all. I think from washing and dcing everyweek and flat ironing, the moisture is locked in my hair and doesn't dry out and break. I am also megateking so I get a little bit of shedding but I've been taking my garlic pills so i'm all good. Next time, I think I'll stretch for 5-6 months with the help of braids. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm going to be 8 wks on thursday. I have 16 more weeks to go. This is the very first time I'm stretching past 14 wks.I'm crossing my fingers

i stretch my relaxer for the whole year and only get one a year i dont know its just something about seeing a hole bunch of newgrowth that gives me a sorta natural high and lets me know im not going crazi and my hair actually is growing so like on new years eve while everybody is all like counting down im washing out my relaxer cuz i just hit another hair goal

That's the great way to start any new year, with a few new inches of hair - who needs drink or drugs, that's your own self induced high right there! :grin:

I'm aiming for 20 weeks this time round, but I will assess it at 16 weeks and relax sooner if there any problems. I'm finding each stretch is a bit easier than the last as I'm taking on board new ideas and techniques to handling the new growth.

Last edited:
I am 7 mos post right now (29 wks this Sat) and I am aiming for 16 mos. but will settle for 12 mos. I am doing it with braids and when not in braids wigs.

:worship2:
When I grow up I want to be just like you... wow
I dont even think I can make it to 6 months (with no braids, wigs or weave)..but I'm going to try

I just learned to stretch by wearing quick weaves. Now, I'm just washing-deep condition-spray on detangler braid my own hair and leave it alone until the next week (well I spray it w/ moisturizer daily)...tis all. I got horrible breakage from stretching and the breakage continues after the touch-up so this is my solution for the next 3 months.

I've been stretching for 5 months now and it takes alot of washing, dc and moisturizing to keep it from breaking. I keep it in a wet bun most of the time (keep in mind that I look a hot mess and tell people that this is my "ugly duckling phase"). When I'm done I won't go 6 months again, only 3 months at a time. Besides, it takes too much money bcuz I'm using so much product in a week.

In College I would stretch 16-20 weeks. Recently, my first stretch was 13 weeks. However, next time, I plan to relax at 10 weeks b/c I was underprocessed. Once I am processed properly, I will try to go 12-14 weeks Max.

A long time ago, I used to relax every 6-8 weeks. Then I started stretching when I didn't even know there was a name for it at 12 weeks. I went to 10 weeks for a while and now I'm back to 12 weeks. My longest stretch was 21 and a half weeks but that to me was far too long as I had a ton of breakage. I am still trying to stretch as long as 16 weeks without issues but that is not possible for me without a little help from cornrows and braids:grin::yep:.

Okay I just joined the long term stretchers thread and I guess I'll be stretching longer than 16 weeks this go round. My ultimate aim is 32 weeks but if I can stretch even longer, then I'm going for it:yep:, but I know it will not be easy for me:nono:.

Im 4b and my last stretch was 5 months. I was sooo happy with the growth that now im gonna do a 6 month stretch. Basically all I do is wear my own hair for the first 8 weeks and then get a weave or braids on and off for about 8-10 weeks then I henna every 2 weeks after that. I found that hennaing really really helps me! it makes my NG soft enough for me to comb it into a ponytail and tie it down to dry. I moisturize 2x a day as well when I get to like week 16. by then my my hair looks a mess so I rock my head bands! Hope this helps you ladies

This practically lists my routine. If I didnt do otherwise, my hair would break extremely

When I joined the board I was already stretching to 8 weeks. i usually stretch between 12-16 weeks. 16 weeks is the longest I've stretched. After I get past 7 weeks, I usually alternate a rollerset and a bun.

I haven't figured out how to stretch correctly yet
i suffer from mats and tangles and i end up losing a lot of hair to it

I am on 11 weeks and plan to stretch for at least another 5 weeks. i do this by wearing a half wig and moisturizing 2x daily and co washing at least 3 times a week. The growth is looking so good, its obsessive really. keep in mind i've never stretched more than 6 weeks in the past!

i can stretch 16+ weeks with the help of co-washing, cfcg, and wet bunning. if i dont want to do that i'll just throw it up in a good ol sew in and that way i dont really have to bother with it as much

I'm type 4b and currently doing my longest stretch ever, to 15 weeks, in order to postpone my texlax until one week before a wedding I will be attending. I usually stretch for 13 weeks.

So far, I've reached week 13 with no problem, considering that I'm not using any "aides," like direct heat, wigs, braids, etc. Spiral sets and headbands have been most helpful.

The longest I've gone is 12 weeks (I went and got Dominican blowouts). I typically go about 8 weeks between relaxers.

I am a 4b and I am currently at 8 weeks. I am having quite a bit of shedding though. Going to try Motions CPR tonight to see if that helps. I am new to this stretching thing so I am sure as I better learn my hair needs I will be able to go longer without so many adverse effects...I hope. :-(

Usually 3 months, but I'm not home until next saturday, so it has been 5 months since my last relaxer and it is KILLING me.

I will be 13 weeks on Friday... and it's a breeze. This time i will try to relax in September at 6 months... I want to be pleasantly surprised

Back