U don't know me but I love U

NappyNikki

U don\'t know me but I love U

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a newbie because I've been lurking for almost a year. (I'm shy..if you havn't guess that aleady) Back in July of '03 before I knew about BCs and transitioning I cut off all of my hair to a twa. It was chin length but looked a hot mess and I got frustrated and told my stylist to cut it all off. I left the shop in tears and couldn't wait for my hair to get long enough to get braids.

Luckily, I stumbled across this forum and have learned so much in the past year. Now, I have a beautiful head of healthy natural hair. I still on the fence as to whether or not I will relax again. Initially, I was against it because my hair never retained lenght but now I realize it was the hot curlers, touch-up every 5-6 weeks, only washing once every 2 weeks

I just wanted to finally say hello and thank everyone for inspiring me to take better care of my hair.
Happy growing & God Bless

Nik
web page
PW: mylows

Faith

Re: U don\'t know me but I love U

Hi Nik. Glad we could help

I was also natural for almost 5 years and finally texturized about 5 weeks ago. I also realized it wasn't the relaxers as much as it was me relaxing my hair every 4-6 weeks and coloring it too much AND using heat toooo often AND washing it every 2-3 weeks. Now that I'm not doing any of that my hair is healthy and has sheen and elasticity and looks great..if I say so myself

I wash 1x/week. Hot oil and deep conditioning it each time
I will relax every 12-20 weeks and it's NOT bone straight like I used to do it. I used to relax my whole head at each retouch. I'm suprised I wasn't bald

I don't use heat at all. I found ways to get straight hair without it. When I airdry it and put it in bantu knots, a bun or magnetic rollers for a while it actually comes out straight without any heat at all.
I'm liking it this way...who knows what I'll want next month
Whatever you decide I'm sure you know what's best for you...

Nay

Hey, Nikki:

Thanks for finally coming out of the shadows. Nice to *meet* ya

Your hair has a lovely texture
Happy growing!

Cleo

Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join us

jainygirl

Hey Nikki!!!!!
Wow, you went natural in a blaze of glory
I wish i had the nerve to tell my stylist to chop my hair off about 5 years ago when my hair was looking a sight. I think you made a great decision, your hair is beautiful. Welcome to the land of the talkies -- glad you finally decided to join the conversation
-- jainygirl

sengschick

The Bun Master

NNik! Your hair is doing wonderfully
. Love the new color
. Keep growing, we'll be right here to support you no matter what decision you make.

NappyNikki

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I don't know why it too me so long to jump in.

GoingBack

Welcome! Your hair looks great. Where did you purchase your "China" wig? It looks great.

Cinnabuns

Welcome! The wonderful advice that the ladies have given has truly been valueble for me also

NappyNikki

kitty: I got my wig at a local bss. It's syntheic and I paid about $40 for it. I don't have enough hair to do a phony pony or any other protective style so I find the wig to be a great alternative.

sweetnic: Andre's system is confusing to me. Although, I been reading thru some of the recent threads and I don't think I any 4b sections so I'll change that in my siggy.

Kha

Welcome! Your hair looks good to me! I like your texture and the color looks really nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ms_kenesha

Cute hair and hair color! Welcome to the chatting side of the board! /images/graemlins/grin.gif