Ugh! Does ANYONE out there have long naturally thin hair?

chasturner84

My hair is also fine with low density. I got my first relaxer at 14 or 15 and I remember that when my hair was straight as a natural, it was almost see through. Now that I've been relaxed for about 12 years, I still have the same fine and thin hair issues, however, the thin hair was largely due to damage but the fine/low density part is due to genetics. I make my hair LOOk fuller by airdrying and wearing styles that increase its volume: curly styles, twist outs, braid outs, etc.

Fine and thin here also! I've always liked it though - walking outside and having my hair blowing in the wind. Since being on my hair journey I have not allowed any hair blowing as I'm PS'ing. But yes, now that I know better I see that it is so fragile - now I wonder how many hairs flew right off my head while I was out there allowing the wind to assault me!

I'm sorry, but this was so funny to me! LOL!!!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Ahhhhh ... I'm finally among my people. :grin:

Yes, I have both fine hair (with some medium strands) coupled with low density all around. My hair is so thin that I can't even do a decent braidout OR twist out. It's always full of gaps and looks ridiculous, so I end up putting it into a banana clip.

Now how's THAT for thin!?

chasturner84

So I am going to be the idiot and ask, but what is the difference between fine and thin hair? I'm lost.

No, you're not an idiot; it's actually a great question. As I understand it it, "Fine hair" generally refers to the diameter of your individual strands, its hair. "Thin hair" usually refers to the number of strands on your head, the hairs' "density." Hair density can be fine (or low), medium, thick. Often the terms are used interchangebly, but they definitely have different meanings.

Hopefully someone will chime in and correct anything that I may have wrong.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
No, you're not an idiot; it's actually a great question. As I understand it it, "Fine hair" generally refers to the diameter of your individual strands, its hair. "Thin hair" usually refers to the number of strands on your head, the hair's "density." Hair density can be fine (or low), medium, thick. Often the terms are used interchangebly, but they definitely have different meanings.

From notes that I took you are right.
Density = thin/normal/thick
the circumference of your ponytail can tell you your density
thin (less than 2inches)
normal (2-4 inches)
thick (greater than 4inches)
Strand size = fine, medium, course, wiry apparently you can get this from using a regular ball point pen, drawing a line on a piece of paper. If your hair strand is smaller than the line it's fine, larger than the line it is course and similar to the line it is medium. I can't imagine someone's hair being thicker than the line but I guess that's because mine is so fine!

Hope this helps:)

GeriArlece

No, you're not an idiot; it's actually a great question. As I understand it it, "Fine hair" generally refers to the diameter of your individual strands, its hair. "Thin hair" usually refers to the number of strands on your head, the hairs' "density." Hair density can be fine (or low), medium, thick. Often the terms are used interchangebly, but they definitely have different meanings.

Thanks!!! That helps!

constance

I have hair that is both fine and low density. I've embraced the slightly frizzy look (avoid bone straight), which means one pass of the flat iron instead of two on my natural hair. Otherwise I'd look like I had 3 strands of hair. ;)

Dominican09

For my twist-out to look "full" I use crecepelo leave-in and seal with vatika oil. Then, I blow dry on low or roller set my hair. When is dry, I do medium size twists using Miss Jessie's Curling Meringue (a tiny bit on each twist), unravel the next day and I have a fluffy, soft, "full" looking twistout!! :grin:

btw, my hair density is like (. . . . .) others (...........) :lol::lol: so mad!!

but gotta work with what I have.

Last edited:

shunemite

WOW. I had no idea there were so many of us! Fine and thin checking in here as well. Hair braiders LOVE me, coz thin hair is easy to braid. I went through many years of stylists cutting my hair with the rationale that my ends were damaged because of how thin my hair looked.

I get around my problem by doing rinses. I see a big difference. I always go darker. I love Jazzing's black cherry. If I apply it with heat it'll last me almost a month. It coats my hair nicely. I also went through a loooong period of finding the right styling products that didn't weigh down my hair. I lost a lot of money trying oils that people said worked for them (soybean and olive oil esp) only to find that it was too heavy for my hair. I looked like a wet duck. To this day, I see a blend of oils at a BSS, if I turn the bottle around and see soybean oil I put it right back. So now I just go to the grocery store Whole Foods for oils. I went so far as to research the molecular weight of individual oils. I finally finally found that the Chi serum, along with Safflower oil or coconut oil is not too heavy and gives me sheen. Then I also had to learn that my hair likes to be oiled maybe every other day and just the ends. When my hair is out, I always bump the ends.

SimpleKomplexity

My hair is naturally thin. Stretching helps me because the new growth makes my hair appear to be a lot thicker than it really is. And then when I stretch for 12 weeks, I don't overlap so my hair doesn't look as thin as usual.

dm81

Fine AND thin ladies what kind of protective styles are you wearing? Weaves and Braids are OUT for me...I just know that my hair would not fair well with them at all. Buns....my fine and thinnies know that our buns can look...scrawny. So are you sock bunning? what?

LushLox

I have fine hair. It was ridiculously thin and see through when I first started properly looking after my hair, it has picked up since.

I realise that I absolutely must stretch my relaxers, doing so ensures that my hair isn't getting over processed and thinning out even more. I wear a lot of rollersets, as my curly hair looks a lot nicer and fuller. I use JBCO and normal castor oil too along with regular protein treatments, they all seem to be helping.

I'll be starting henna soon as I think this will be the missing link for me.

Loveygram

Subbing!! Wow, :grouphug2: my peeps! I'm finding some good tips.

For thicker looking twists, I don't twist until the hair has started to dry a bit or just damp.

I probably should add that the gray strands seem mostly thicker than rest.

Blessings

Last edited:

celiabug

I died my hair black to try and make it look thicker but this is how my hair looks most of the time when I straighten it because I put soo much heat protectant on it.

And this is my skimpy ponytail

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
iwould think thin hair would be much more manageable :perplexed

shooot ill trade your hair with miine ANY daay :lachen:

helixhoney

Any fine, thin haired natural ladies use heat? It's been three years since my last major hair cut and I just started using heat in September out of desperation. The no heat, wash-n-go regimen that got me to APL has kept me at APL, too. And because twists are a no no, as are twistouts and braidouts, i felt like my only option was to use heat to stretch it out and then style it (usually rodset or french braid). I'm def seeing some progress with the heat these past 3 months, but worry about it looking thinner over time, especially using heat once or twice a month.

My favorite protective style at the moment is the french braid with the tucked tail.

Mz.MoMo5235

if we go by the pen test and the pony test i have both thin and fine hair as well

i WISH i had more hair. i used to have real thick hair (density not strand size) until i started relaxing. even when i went natural my thickness never came back :(

Naturae

this is a super old thread, i know, but I need some help! Anyone with naturally thin (low density) hair? I was told to try fenugreek rinses and rubbing oinion juice in the scalp as a pre-poo. ( still trying to wrap my mind around that one. eww!) does anyone have any other suggestions?

AtlantaJJ

I love using henna, it really gives my hair volume. I also just started putting egg yolk mixed with Ayurveda powders my scalp as a pre-poo and I swear I have gotten a growth spurt and some added thickness!

I'm also loving my natural hair shrinkage as my hair gets longer because it's giving me the illusion of extra thickness. I'm shooting for mid back length. I'll let you guys know how I do in a couple of years :lol:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Why haven't I seen this thread before?
I have the thinnest, softest hair ever and as I age it doesn't get any better. I rarely wear my hair out because it does not look good because it's so thin. I do henna, castor oil, etc. etc. It is what it is.

constance

this is a super old thread, i know, but I need some help! Anyone with naturally thin (low density) hair? I was told to try fenugreek rinses and rubbing oinion juice in the scalp as a pre-poo. ( still trying to wrap my mind around that one. eww!) does anyone have any other suggestions?

Naturae, Also try MSM (a B-vitamin). It stopped my shedding, which was important bc I don't have that many strands to start with. I also went natural bc the poofiness gives the illusion of fullness whereas relaxing revealed my thinness.

bunnie82

My hair is very fine....but it's in my favor when it's in it's curly state! It's light and fluffy and doesn't get all hot on my neck...

But when I straighten, it's wayyyy too fine....so i don't flat iron bone straight....

DominicanBrazilian82

constance said:
Naturae, Also try MSM (a B-vitamin). It stopped my shedding, which was important bc I don't have that many strands to start with. I also went natural bc the poofiness gives the illusion of fullness whereas relaxing revealed my thinness.

MSM , I believe, contributed to the health of my hair (in terms of retention and shedding less/never)... I love this vitamin as it is a vitamin comprised of mostly sulfur... An ingredient that promotes joint health and hair as well!

Misseyl

My hair has always been thin and i hate that about it. The circumference of my straight hair ponytail is around the size of a nickel :nono:. Both of my parents have thin hair so its all genetic not from damage.
when i look at everyone who has super pretty long hair i always think "my hair will never look like that its too thin".:sad:
im just wondering if there is anyone out there who has long (like past bsl) hair thats naturally thin but looks good??? i need some inspiration :ohwell:.

Sorry but you won't be getting any inspiration here because I'm suffering from the same thing. Just took down my braids and after 2 years and 8 months my hair is long but it's still thin/fine. My edges look a mess and I'm thinking that I might be better off with my hair short. Just don't know what to do anymore. I'll hold off cutting until I can find a style that will compliment my thinning hair.

Naturae

@Naturae, Also try MSM (a B-vitamin). It stopped my shedding, which was important bc I don't have that many strands to start with. I also went natural bc the poofiness gives the illusion of fullness whereas relaxing revealed my thinness.

Thank you constance! (Ironic: that's also my mom's name :yep:)
I guess I need to break down and start doing vitamin intake again. Biotin and MSM here we go.

gabulldawg

I think I have fine strands, but a lot of them, if that makes sense. :lol: My hair is sooooo thick when air dried. People always ask if i'm natural when I wear styles with my Air dried hair. But when I straighten it it seems thin to me. :ohwell: I cut my hair a few years ago due to it being too thin. I think it has thickened up compared to back then, but I feel it could be thicker.

celiabug

i cant believe i wrote this 2 years ago lol but im still struggling with the thinness... i wish i had some advice. its still just as thin as ever. i feel like my best bet is just to try and make it LOOK thick. it will never actually be thick.. its something i will just have to accept. :(

constance

i cant believe i wrote this 2 years ago lol but im still struggling with the thinness... i wish i had some advice. its still just as thin as ever. i feel like my best bet is just to try and make it LOOK thick. it will never actually be thick.. its something i will just have to accept. :(

celiabug, it's almost 2 yrs to the day! Don't give up. Try the advice in this thread (B vitamins, MSM (sulfur)). If none of it works, your fall-back position is also good..try to make it look thick. I have found that less heat is always better. :yep: