Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic and 4B Hair

softblackcotton

Hi Ladies,

I just went to BSS (Black-Owned btw :yep:) after my neighbor has been raving to me about Uncle Funky's Daughter Products. My neighbor is also natural and her hair always looks wavy-curly never kinky/frizzy like mine. I think she has a mixture of 4a/3c. I have predominantly 4b hair. However, she insists that her girlfriend also has 4b hair and Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic works amazingly on her girlfriend's 4b hair to define curls.

I asked the BSS owner who had natural hair about it, but she said many said the products worked great, but then again she is trying to sell me something (quite expensive too) so I don't know. After I got home, I went to the Uncle Funky's Daughter website and watched some demos. It seems like all the demos were done on 4a heads and lower. I did not see any demo on a 4b. On Youtube, I also only saw product reviews of the Uncle Funky's from women with 4a or lower. You ladies are my last resort. I need find out as much as possible, because the products are kind of expensive. Has anyone with 4b hair had great results with any Uncle Funky's Daughter's Products esp. Curly Magic?

WyrdWay

I'm not 4b, but my hair doesn't really like curly magic, it drys kinda hard, and I don't like the smell. But, I can layer it over some juicey juice like CFCG or over some condish, and it will help control frizz. But it effects my hair just like aloe, eccept it is way more exspencive... it doesn't mix with creamy things well it gets all clumpy and gross ><

But it might like 4type hair better, I'm 3b/3c with fine strands.

otegwu

no product is going to create curls that are not there! as a 4b-z I have come to the realisation that theres no point in wasting money on products that say they will create curls, if they arent there in the first plaace no product is going to put them there. just embrace the fizzyness :)

DirtyJerzeyGirly

although i dont believe in the curl typing thing, I'm what would be called or a 4b or whatever.

I have the curly magic and no, it does not create curls. It works great for twist-outs. It doesn't define my curls, either.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
My mom (3a) and I (3c/4a) love curl magic. I have tried almost all their products and I love them all. Now my daughter is 4b and Curl Magic does nothing for her AT ALL. It just makes it sticky. Super Curl and Extra Butter work much better for her.

I'm actually about to do her hair now. Depending on how cooperative she is I may use it and take pics to show what happens.

Pompous Blue

no product is going to create curls that are not there! as a 4b-z I have come to the realisation that theres no point in wasting money on products that say they will create curls, if they arent there in the first plaace no product is going to put them there. just embrace the fizzyness :)
I Agree.....

ctosha

although i dont believe in the curl typing thing, I'm what would be called or a 4b or whatever.

I have the curly magic and no, it does not create curls. It works great for twist-outs. It doesn't define my curls, either.

That is exactly my experience with it. I will use it for twist outs or braid outs only, however kinky curly defines for me. I only mention kinky curly b/c the two are often compared. If i use too much curly magic can be a bit sticky.

brownbean96

Hmm- I was thinking about trying this but now I'm not sure based on the reviews (I'm 4A). I like KCCC but I would like to find something that works better if that's possible.

chebaby

I'm 3c or silky 4a(don't really know lol) and this stuff dried out my hair. As far as definition it did no more than any other gel.

softblackcotton

My mom (3a) and I (3c/4a) love curl magic. I have tried almost all their products and I love them all. Now my daughter is 4b and Curl Magic does nothing for her AT ALL. It just makes it sticky. Super Curl and Extra Butter work much better for her.

I'm actually about to do her hair now. Depending on how cooperative she is I may use it and take pics to show what happens.

Yes please share pics! :yep:

softblackcotton

I do not agree. I am 4b and whenever my hair is washed/soaking wet or my hair stretched/well-moisturized I see very visible tiny pen spring sized spiral coily curls all over. When my hair dries the coils shrink and I also manipulate my hair so they frizz away. My hair does not clump without moisture, but the curl pattern is definitely there. So yes 4b hair has a curl pattern it's just difficult to clump.

Last edited:

CocoGlow

I do not agree. I am 4b and whenever my hair is washed/soaking wet or my hair stretched/well-moisturized I see very visible tiny pen spring sized spiral coily curls all over. When my hair dries the coils shrink and I also manipulate my hair so they frizz away. My hair does not clump without moisture, but the curl pattern is definitely there. So yes 4b hair has a curl pattern it's just difficult to clump.

Sis, you're right ... 4B texture is composed of tiny coils that do not clump together naturally .. there is a curl pattern, just not defined .. I think the way some people word things causes confusion, but you're absolutely right about there being a pattern (if not the hair would be straight lol)

With 4B hair, if anything the very ends may clump but not from root to tip like 3abc/4a texture .. this product may or may not give you what you are looking for Sis.. but it's best to be aware of what your texture can do so that you are not expecting something that it cannot deliver ... you might not find a lot of videos on 4Bs trying to clump their coils with this product or any other one b/c most of us don't bother, like I stated in the other thread .. but give it a try and see for yourself ... hey your hair might surprise you .. I just hope you will be ok with the possibility that it won't "work"

DivaD04

I have those tiny springy spiral curls too and I'm also 4b.