Underprocessed Virgin Application: Need help (can't afford a salon)

Dia

Okay so, I used ORS lye about 7 weeks ago. I thought it came out ok, but after a week.....:nono:

Ever since, my hair has been breaking, some strands are very thin, some strands have knots (like when I was natural) and I can still do an afro. Then only thing I found different was that it is easier to comb through in the shower (with conditioner of course). When I did the virgin relaxer, out of fear: I coated the strands and a scalp with vaseline and I processed for 10 minutes, no smoothing. MY HAIR IS AN ALL-OUT MESS. I need help, comments, constructive criticisms, I don't care...just tell me your opinions. Please. I want to go back to no-lye, especially after seeing my pictures from elementary school with APL no-lye tresses. I bought the box kit of ORS no-lye, and porosity control but I haven't used them, yet.

During the 7 weeks I have done my normal DCs, moisturizing-sealing and and protein (Aphogee or Nexxus Keraphixx) which did slow down most of the breakage. I hid it in braids under wigs. But I want this textured/fro'/poodle-thingy to go!My husband has college graduation coming up soon, a b-day, and my son's b-day is this summer. I just want a decent head to show. Please HELP.

(Please include if you think I should give lye one more try or switch to no-lye.)

THANKS

FocusLady

thanks for asking this question. i'm thinking about relaxing my own hair. i'm natural and i have been all my life. i know it has been said on here before to go to a salon for your first relaxer but i want to know if i can do it myself.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Since it was a virgin relaxer, you shouldn't have coated your hair with vaseline.

Do a corrective in a week (at 8 weeks post) and only base your scalp. You have to get all of your hair the same texture. I suggest still using lye :yep:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
You poor darling.

I do agree with the above statement.

What strength relaxer did you use? You probably used the wrong strength. You should not have coated all of your strands with vaseline. That creates a barrier that usually doesn't allow relaxer through.

It is possible to get someone to help you do the corrective relaxer? Maybe even your husband.

It is probably best that when you do the corrective relaxer to do it in sections and take your time. Start with just one quarter of your head and do that type of section at a time. Slow down and make sure you have all of your tools in front of you.

Is it at all possible for you to put a protective protein barrier over your previously relaxed hair to help protect. You can use something like Silk amino acids on your hair prior to re-relaxing to help protect your hair.

Do a strand test on a small section of your hair so you can get the timing down. If you have different textures on the front, back, sides or middle your will have to do a test on all the sections so you won't overprocess the areas that are easier to straighten.

You only left the relaxer on 10 minutes so it sounds to me as if you are texlaxing your hair. If not it would have been ok to leave it on longer to help get your hair straight. Timing on relaxing is not set in stone. It really depends on your hair and type of hair. If you have resistant hair you will need to leave it on longer and vice versa for hair that is easily straightened.

Unless your scalp is tingling by all means if you need to leave it on longer than the directions say then its ok. They really just give you a guideline to go by but no one person's hair is the same.

Please ask anymore questions if you have them.

Dia

You poor darling.

I do agree with the above statement.

What strength relaxer did you use? You probably used the wrong strength. You should not have coated all of your strands with vaseline. That creates a barrier that usually doesn't allow relaxer through.

It is possible to get someone to help you do the corrective relaxer? Maybe even your husband.

It is probably best that when you do the corrective relaxer to do it in sections and take your time. Start with just one quarter of your head and do that type of section at a time. Slow down and make sure you have all of your tools in front of you.

Is it at all possible for you to put a protective protein barrier over your previously relaxed hair to help protect. You can use something like Silk amino acids on your hair prior to re-relaxing to help protect your hair.

Do a strand test on a small section of your hair so you can get the timing down. If you have different textures on the front, back, sides or middle your will have to do a test on all the sections so you won't overprocess the areas that are easier to straighten.

You only left the relaxer on 10 minutes so it sounds to me as if you are texlaxing your hair. If not it would have been ok to leave it on longer to help get your hair straight. Timing on relaxing is not set in stone. It really depends on your hair and type of hair. If you have resistant hair you will need to leave it on longer and vice versa for hair that is easily straightened.

Unless your scalp is tingling by all means if you need to leave it on longer than the directions say then its ok. They really just give you a guideline to go by but no one person's hair is the same.

Please ask anymore questions if you have them.

I used mild because I have really fine strands. My husband helped me the first time, and he said he would help me again when I get correct instructions on how to do it. Do you think I should use lye again or no-lye? The ladies in my family seem to be having more success with ORS No-lye. I used no-lye when I was younger as well. I don't know if the thinning strands I see are because of the underprocessing of the relaxer or the lye relaxer itself.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I used mild because I have really fine strands. My husband helped me the first time, and he said he would help me again when I get correct instructions on how to do it. Do you think I should use lye again or no-lye? The ladies in my family seem to be having more success with ORS No-lye. I used no-lye when I was younger as well. I don't know if the thinning strands I see are because of the underprocessing of the relaxer or the lye relaxer itself.
Your hair is one of the few that I have heard that has success with no-lye. For this corrective application I would suggest that you use a lye relaxer again then you can switch to no-lye for your touch-ups.

I am not quite sure why your hair is thinning. I don't know what type of condition your hair was in before you did the initial relaxer and I would have actually had to see and feel it.

Glad that your husband can help you out. I wish you much success.