Update on wearing hair up

kking7777

Ok ladies on average, how often do you wear your hair up in a protective style, during the week? I feel so ugly when I wear my hair up compared to when I wear it down. However, I realize this is the only way to keep it growing and healthy. Anyone out there who feels the same way?

alireno

Lately I have been wearing my hair up or in a protective style everyday. I have gotten used to it. I put some variety in things by wearing different colored scrunchies or satin elastics everyday. I have so many different colors that my hair usually matches my clothes. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pebbles

Hi Kking,

I wear my hair up every day. I've grown used to it and it actually looks nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess it's habit. People are not accustomed to seeing me with my hair down. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Integrity

i also tucking all my hair in. i really dont know how adrienne does it. why have long hair and i cant show it out /images/graemlins/frown.gif

my hair is 99% down. i just make sure i oil the ends real good. i must admit my ends would look much better if i put it up in a bun more.

SherryLove

I rarely wear my hair in protective styles....I feel ugly as well..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif However, my ends are healthy; and my hair is still growing.....

SherryLove

Allandra

Girl, I love protective styles. I wear my hair in one every single day (many the infamous bun). /images/graemlins/grin.gif Since my most recent touch up (December 21, 2002), I've worn my hair down about two times.

Crysdon

I wear my hair down for two months, then protective styles for the last month befoe touch-up. I find that protective styles make my ends crinkly.

SherryLove

Crysdon --- I get the same effect... Plus the pins bother my scalp---make it so sore.... : /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pandora--I am always happy to be an inspiration to you.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SherryLove

Tracy

I also look horrendous with my hair up. I just don't have enough "face" for it. Wanakee I am not...

But I've been doing it alot lately. The past two weeks I've been so busy and so not in the mood to do anything strenuous, and the weather has been so terrible, that I've been conditioner washing my hair every morning and pulling it back into a wet bun. My hair seems to like it, except that I really need a touch up soon and so with my hair wet so often the curls dry around eachother and I get some tangling - right in the middle of the back of my head. I'm going to do this for a few weeks to stretch the time I need to touch up by a few more weeks.

I really do believe tho that my hair likes when I wear it primarily up for a few weeks straight, and then down for a few weeks straight. It doesn't like anything done consistently for too long a time. I constantly have to switch it up.

Lindy

I like wearing my hair up... I do a bun once in a while, but I love ponytails... High ones, medium ones, and low ones. Seldom do I wear my hair all out, and when I do, it's usually with a headband. I like pulling the front of my hair up into a high ponytail, and leaving the back down. I think that is my favorite style. It just suits me the best, I think...

Honi

There is no board.
I wear mine up everyday. I don't know I've gotten used to it I guess. I've also stocked up on some really nice ponytails (long, short, curly, kinky). Folks at work don't know what I'm gonna look like from day to day. When I wear it down on those rare occassions some people ask me if it's my hair or not. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But I must admit when I do wear it down it would be for a half day. I always have my trusty scrunchy handy wrapped around my wrist to pull it right back up.

diamoness

When I'm not wearing wigs, I love to let my hair and scalp breathe by wearing ponytails. Sometimes I cornrow the front back to the crown and pull the back up, wrap my hair around the ponytail holder, and slap on a ponytail or synthetic-curly bun-thingy that I bought for .99 cents. I don't feel unattractive one bit when I do this. Although some people give me wierd looks...I guess they think I'm bald or something, but I don't care......cuz I'm on a mission /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

sweetcocoa

I didn't like it at first(mostly cause that's all I can do in the summer and I get tired of by the fall), but now I prefer it up. I like to experiment and were it up different ways. I get the most compliments when I dry it naturally and twist the sides back and clip them with decorative hair pins. I also find myself liking the classic bun using the Good Hair Day' hair pins(thanks Allandra). I also use them when I do a twist up the back and leave the top open and let the curls fluff out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
What really motivates me into liking my hair up is the amount of growth I'm keeping cause my ends aren't catching in my clothes.
I do try to wear it down once every 2 weeks.

G

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
SherryLove said:
Crysdon --- I get the same effect... Plus the pins bother my scalp---make it so sore.... : /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pandora--I am always happy to be an inspiration to you.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SherryLove

[/ QUOTE ]
___
Whenever I wear my hair up or in a protective style, I have a headache for days. For some reason, my scalp doesn't like the heaviness created by the hair being up or together in a pony tail. Also, my ends end up a mess when I wear my hair up.

mirrormirror

I wear my hair in a low bun everyday, but If I feel like letting my hair out, I put it in a high ponytail, that really suits me. But its very rare that I wear my hair down.

Armyqt

I would call myself the ponytail QUEEN. Even before I discovered hairboards I've Always sported a ponytail with a bun. Also since I'm a military girl, I have no choice in the matter. SO the protective styling was definitely not hard for me to adapt. I do wear my hair down about twice a month.

adrienne0914

pandora... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif it actually gets easier the more i do it!

right now, i wear my hair up maybe 25 days in a month. before i started wearing the drawstring ponytails, i REALLY hated wearing my hair up. now i feel like i'm kinda wearing hair down... just not mine. i would still rather wear my own hair down, and maybe i will once i reach my ultimate goal. however, until then, i'm doing what i need to to get there. i think it's a small price to pay compared to the results.

also after having my hair up for weeks and weeks, when i do wear it down, the fellas are like...
LOL!

adrienne

Paris Belle

This is a biggie for me. I have just gotten a relaxer on last Saturday and have worn it out for a week. However, I will be putting it up from here on...My hair deserves it and I wouldn't need a trim so often if I did.

My only vanity is that I hate it when people ask me if I have a weave or they can't believe my hair has grown so much after I've been wearing it up for so long..? Does it anybody deal with that? /images/graemlins/frown.gif I'll just have to get over it.

daviine

Bett1e---I notice that when I sometimes try to wear my hair in a protective style, I get a headache. I usually have to loosen my hair for a while. But its okay, becasue its gonna be my excuse to wear my hair!!!

adrienne0914

yeah, i get that too. i told yall about how the lady at work asked me to help her with something on her computer last week, and she felt for tracks when i leaned over.

i think i'm used to it because i also got that alot when my hair was shorter. i guess because i rarely had a hair out of place, people assumed i had a wig on. it's ALWAYS something, girl... don't let it get to you!!

adrienne

Robin41

I've been wearing my hair in protective styles practically every day since October when it started getting cold out. I wore my hair down for a couple of days this week and couldn't get used to feeling hair on my shoulders and neck. It was almost creepy.

I love wearing my hair up - it's so easy and simple! My hair has grown so much and feels much stronger, thicker and healthier (thanks to all of your help and advice). I'll start wearing it down in the spring so I'll have to give myself time to get used to feeling hair again.

UmSumayyah

adrienne0914 said:
yeah, i get that too. i told yall about how the lady at work asked me to help her with something on her computer last week, and she felt for tracks when i leaned over.

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

What is WRONG with people! I would have had some choice words for her. What gives her the right to stick her fingers in your hair? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Allandra

adrienne0914 said:
told yall about how the lady at work asked me to help her with something on her computer last week, and she felt for tracks when i leaned over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez. Some folks sure do have a lot of nerve. I wonder what thought ran through her mind when she found out there were none. I probably would have looked at her with the BIGGEST /images/graemlins/grin.gif on my face.

pebbles

[quoteGeez. Some folks sure do have a lot of nerve. I wonder what thought ran through her mind when she found out there were none. I probably would have looked at her with the BIGGEST /images/graemlins/grin.gif on my face. ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I bet you would too!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diamoness

yeah, and then when they realize that you are not wearing a weave, they ask you for hair care advise....but they don't follow it. Especially the advise about washing their hair more often. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Maia_002

I recently started to wear my hair up in protective styles now that I'm starting a new regimen. I feel fine wearing it in a bun most of the time but I'm a little worried that my hair might break from wearing it in a bun all the time.

nijilah

I am always late posting! But better late than never.

I wear my hair up 99% of the time, but I don't wear a tight ponytail. I wear the infamous bun, but I add accesories to it. A new hair store opened in my area and they had these accesories that go around the bun for .99 cents.

My main point was that if you get a headache, try to loosen the ponytail. I wrap the scrunchie around my hair once or twice and then I tuck my ends in, then pull around the edges to loosen it. This should help if I am right in assuming your hair may be pulled too tight.

ngaa

since i'm in braids i gess i wear my hair in protective styles everyday and will continue to do so for the next three months /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif
p.s. cant wait till my hair's long enuf 2 be put up in a bun /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif got myself all excited now /images/graemlins/grin.gif