Vaseline caused major shedding!!!

I_Dream_Hair

After finding that the S-CURL moisturizer does wonders on my hair, I started to use vaseline as recommended by others ladies who use the s-curl. Long story short, the vaseline pulled my hair and caused MAJOR SHEDDING and possibly breakage. I didn't notice it at first until I started to pull my strands and hair would come out, or even worse, after doing the baggie method over night, balls of hair would come from my ends. NEVER AGAIN!! I'm not discouraging anyone from using vaseline, but just saying that everything does not work for everyone. Anyone else have this problem?

MizAvalon

mscolwhite said:
Try sheabutter instead of vaseline.

Yes, give shea butter a try. I use it and love it. Vaseline is so thick and gooey, I can't even imagine putting that on my hair.

CurliDiva

I just started using Scurl and love the softness of my hair. Why do I need the vaseline? (or sheabutter?)

Just curious:confused:

meia

I_Dream_Hair said:
After finding that the S-CURL moisturizer does wonders on my hair, I started to use vaseline as recommended by others ladies who use the s-curl. Long story short, the vaseline pulled my hair and caused MAJOR SHEDDING and possibly breakage. I didn't notice it at first until I started to pull my strands and hair would come out, or even worse, after doing the baggie method over night, balls of hair would come from my ends. NEVER AGAIN!! I'm not discouraging anyone from using vaseline, but just saying that everything does not work for everyone. Anyone else have this problem?

wellll i think i might know why that is...petroleum, if im not mistaken is a form of refined crude..its a cheap type of oil that comes from petroleum...its not safe to really use for that purpose and its always concerned me that some ladies use it..

crude oil is a natural resource that is used for fuel etc., etc..i definitely would discourage ladies from using it andddd also from using mineral oil..

mineral oil is a form of cheap oil that is low in quality..it used to help run machines and is also a bi product...people have it in their products and dont know that its not really a healthful thing to use..

although i know we allll got our favorite products! hehehe

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I am sorry that this had to happen to you, but when I do the baggie method, I would use oils to hold the moisture of the s-curl.

sprungonhairboards

MzTami said:
I am sorry that this had to happen to you, but when I do the baggie method, I would use oils to hold the moisture of the s-curl.

I don't use it, but I always thought s-curl was mostly oil :confused: I remember it being greasy as heck back in the 'curl' days.

calliope

I had to raise an eyebrow when I saw that vaseline was being used as a staple on hair. I think that it works well for some, but I know that if I were to use it I would have your very same dilemma. It sounds weird, but I think that my hair is just too dry to deal with vaseline. However, lately I have been using the Elasta QP Mango Butter on my baggied ends and it works WONDERS. Also, be careful of how you're situating your ends while they are in the baggie. I have found that I have to set my ends on two medium sized rollers before I baggie. This keeps me from winding up with a tangled mess when I take it down.

cocoberry10

I_Dream_Hair said:

Your hair looks to be a 4a/b texture. You may/may not have fine hair also. If your hair is more on the fine side, I would suggest using light oils. Heavy products seem to weigh hair down and that can lead to breakage. Again, just my opinion. Also, since shea butter can be melted into oil form, you may be able to use that like some ladies said earlier.

Cocoberry10

devin

i just started using vaseline on my ends two weeks ago and have noticed major shedding and breakage on my ponytail. i will definitely look at alternative methods.

peacelove

I must agree that I think heavier products on fine hair contribute to breaking and shedding. I have noticed this with my hair. I thought that my hair benifited from hair grease at one point, but I realize that my hair does better with lighter oils that allow the comb to slip through and reduce friction and pulling.

angelbaby

Heavier oils do seem to cause problems with my hair also. I stopped using oils altogether for awhile because of this. They would just make my hair hard and therefore cause breakage. I experienced the same thing with WGO. This winter I started using an oil on my hair again because it was so dry and I was just moisturizing it. The moisture would soften it up for half the day, but it would be dry again by the end of the day. Then I discovered what many people on the board have discovered already, EVOO. I thought I had tried this before, and didn't like it. Then I realized that I wasn't using EVOO, I was using regular olive oil. Strangely enough it makes a difference which one you use. EVOO makes my hair so silky and shiny. I apply it dripping wet in the shower, use an extra absorbent towel, and put it in a bun using a velvet hair scrunchy. My hair is so straight, silky, and shiny all day....and it's not very greasy at all.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I sometimes use vaseline when I make a bun BUT I only use it on the last 2 - 3 inches of my soaking, wet ponytail before I bun it up. I was also going to recommend using shea butter or castor oil instead. I find that both of these are just as effective at sealing in moisture.

MiWay

Try Elasta QP Mango Butter. I did it last night, and my ends looked so good this morning. I actually sprayed with Surge, put the Elasta QP on the ends, and bagged it up, and it came out surprisingly nice.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I also wanted to recommend pure vitamin e oil too. Just apply it to the last 2 inches of your ponytail while wet. Your ends dry amazingly soft.