VENT: Going from Arpmit length to Bra strap length is hard!

Lioness

Hey guys. I really need a vent this morning.

I washed my hair yesterday, and although I knew it had grown, when I took pics of it, it looked near enough the same length as nearly a month ago. Also, the ends don't look as full as they did a month ago.:mad:

I'm APL length trying to get to BSL but it's proving difficult. I feel like I should have NEVER relaxed:mad:

I haven't realxed since October 06 and I dont intend to....EVER again! My hair's still thick, it's just sensitive to heat. It gets really lifeless when I press it( I know... I know- I should stay away from the evil heat:lol: )

From the front I am shoulder length, and from the back I am APL.
Has anyone relaxed only Once, and still managed to maintain healthy, long hair?

Thanks for reading my vent!;)

Lioness

DSylla said:
Your hair in your siggy looks thick and healthy.

I'm sure you'll reach BSL soon :)

Thanks, for the encouragement Dsylla. *sigh*

It just seems like I should be very close to BSL now and I'm not as close as I thought I was. I should be, (and I am) grateful for even having healthy hair which is growing well. I think I'm jut being impatient....

Your pony tail thickness/length is my long term aim....just seems looong getting there!

*Happily Me*

i did a lot of conditioner washes to get there. i sacrificed style for healthy hair and length. matter of fact, i'm sitting here at work with with my daily conditioner washed style.

It may not look too cute now but, it's for the greater good :lol:

I just snapped these :sekret:

Lioness

DSylla said:
i did a lot of conditioner washes to get there. i sacrificed style for healthy hair and length. matter of fact, i'm sitting here at work with with my daily conditioner washed style.

It may not look too cute now but, it's for the greater good :lol:

I just snapped these :sekret:

LOL

Thanks Dsylla,:cheers: I feel much better because of your good cheer!

When you say you did a lot of conditioner washes to get there, how did this help your hair? I've never really done conditioner washes....

When you were shoulder length, what was your regimen to get you to the healthiness and length you have now?

*Happily Me*

Summa Bliss said:
LOL

Thanks Dsylla,:cheers: I feel much better because of your good cheer!

When you say you did a lot of conditioner washes to get there, how did this help your hair? I've never really done conditioner washes....

When you were shoulder length, what was your regimen to get you to the healthiness and length you have now?

My hair has always thrived doing conditioner washes and I've been doing conditioner washes since i got here. Most times, i'll wash then let air dry in a ponytail, or sometimes, i'll air dry with a satin scarf to tie down the roots, and once it's dry i'll roll with flexis.

Conditioner washes work for be because it's a low manipulation process. It also keeps my hair well moisturized.

Here's one of my prettier condioner washed styles, and this was taken while i was shoulder length.

I do realize that Con washes are not for everyone, but try to find a no/low manipulation style and your hair will thrive.

:)

Lioness

Even at shoulder length your hair was extremely healthy.

Hmmm. I think I will give the conditioner washes a try.:)

Yeah, my main obstacle has been finding a low manipulation style that I'm happy with! ITA if I find a style with low-no manipulation my hair will thrive.

And I think after washing yesterday, the lesson was:
MY HAIR HATES REGULAR HEAT!!! That's what also contributes to the thin looking ends.

Dsylla, bless you ;) .

I feel 100% more motivated, and better about my hair, it's texture/length. You are an inspiration! Thanks for your answers and encouragement.

Sorry to bombard you with more questions, but I feel I have a lot to learn from you...

What do you CON wash with?
How long does your hair take to airdry completely?
Which no-low manipulation styles did you do that helped your hair thrive?

Also, I have a hair confession:

I've NEVER air dried before in my life as my hair would be super thick...and pehaps therefore unmangeable/unstyleable (sp?). But this morning, I rinsed my hair with super cold water, and since I'm at work, I'm airdrying with a bun for the first time ever!

*Happily Me*

Summa Bliss said:
Even at shoulder length your hair was extremely healthy.

Hmmm. I think I will give the conditioner washes a try.:)

Yeah, my main obstacle has been finding a low manipulation style that I'm happy with! ITA if I find a style with low-no manipulation my hair will thrive.

And I think after washing yesterday, the lesson was:
MY HAIR HATES REGULAR HEAT!!! That's what also contributes to the thin looking ends.

Dsylla, bless you ;) .

I feel 100% more motivated , and better about my hair, it's texture/length. EXCELLENT! :) You are an inspiration! Thanks for your answers and encouragement.

Sorry to bombard you with more questions, but I feel I have a lot to learn from you...

What do you CON wash with? I'll con wash with anything available however, my staples are LeKair Chosterol and Praital (Shout out to Ekomba). The one thing i've found to be very important while doing con washes is to make sure you even it out with protein treatments

How long does your hair take to airdry completely? anywhere from 2 - 8 hours, depending if it's in a ponytail or loose.

Which no-low manipulation styles did you do that helped your hair thrive? Ponytails and the style above with the banana clip. I'm doing a lot of braidouts too. I'll con wash at night and braid two plaits and tie it down with a satin scarf. It's very similar to Sylver's method because the braids are airdrying outside of the first scarf, then i'll put a bonnet on top of that and go to sleep (actually, this IS Sylver's method:lol:). When i wake up, the braids are approx. 80% dry. I unravel, then i'll get a nice wavy braidout. :)

Also, I have a hair confession:

I've NEVER air dried before in my life as my hair would be super thick...and pehaps therefore unmangeable/unstyleable (sp?). But this morning, I rinsed my hair with super cold water, and since I'm at work, I'm airdrying with a bun for the first time ever!
Give it a try.

My treat for con washing is it get to wear it straight about twice a month. I'll flat iron on a low setting and head out. :)

janeemat

Summa and Dys, both of you have beautiful hair. I'm still working on getting FULL shoulder length. I getting there and striving for APL by Dec 2007! Summa, you will reach your goal in no time at all!

Blackoutzangel05

janeemat said:
Summa and Dys, both of you have beautiful hair. I'm still working on getting FULL shoulder length. I getting there and striving for APL by Dec 2007! Summa, you will reach your goal in no time at all!

ITA and have the same goals!!

Lioness

janeemat said:

Thanks Janeemat!:)

I think I'm just being impatient. I'm greatful for the hair God gave me. As long as I have healthy hair I have no complaints!!

Dsylla and Summa
Beautiful hair ladies.

I have nothing to add.

Thanks Seraphinelle xxx

Divine Inspiration

Summa, I agree that your hair looks good and seems to be making process. However, I know how annoying it is when you don't feel like you're coming along as quickly as you'd like.

Like Dsylla, I've had to sacrifice style for health sometimes. I've been bunning a LOT lately...sometimes out of sheer laziness/lack of time but also because I know my hair likes it. It just likes being left alone in general so that's what I've been doing...maybe your hair just needs to be put away for a week or two.

I definitely second the CO wash suggestion. I'm doing one tonight. :D They are great for moisture and a pick me up.

I'm not sure I understand what you were saying about the relaxer, but there are ways to do it right and get the results you want. It may take trial and error, but I'm sure you could find something you'd be happy with. My last relaxer was over a year ago, and I'm planning to texlax in the coming weeks. After this, I'll probably go another long while without texlaxing. CO washes help make the NG soft and pliable.

HHG!!

{DI}

God's Anointed

It was so hard going from SL to APL but now it seems like my hair don't wanna grow past that mark. I have a deep v (which i don't plan on cutting until i reach full brastrap) and my ends seem like they are thinning out overtime. I really hope this hurdle isn't as hard as it was to go from SL to APL. I did read somewhere that it's supposed to be easier but we'll just have to wait and see.

frostydoll

Sometimes the growth just sneaks up on you. I got my hair straightened yesterday and I was in shock because I was expecting it to still be shoulder length but the longest layer is now armpit length.

You'll get there in no time.

Angelicus

Leave your hair alone for the whole spring/summer. Less heat, manipulation, products...Trust me, you will see a difference. Your hair is growing its fastest in the spring and summer and that will cheer you up!!

imani97

Summa Bliss said:
Hey guys. I really need a vent this morning.

I washed my hair yesterday, and although I knew it had grown, when I took pics of it, it looked near enough the same length as nearly a month ago. Also, the ends don't look as full as they did a month ago.:mad:

I'm APL length trying to get to BSL but it's proving difficult. I feel like I should have NEVER relaxed:mad:

I haven't realxed since October 06 and I dont intend to....EVER again! My hair's still thick, it's just sensitive to heat. It gets really lifeless when I press it( I know... I know- I should stay away from the evil heat:lol: )

From the front I am shoulder length, and from the back I am APL.
Has anyone relaxed only Once, and still managed to maintain healthy, long hair?

Thanks for reading my vent!;)

Your hair is beautiful and thick! I am determined to be at brastrap for my next touch up! If I'm not... I give up. :ohwell:

grnidmonster

this was a good thread for me. Going from APL to full BSL has been HELL! I am touching my bra strap but, I need to be full and I want it to look healty.

My hair is really thin so any heat or manipulation is too much. I havent co-washed because it made my scalp itch. I will try again and the tip to balance with protein is good to know.

I use Sylver's method for my hair when it is flat ironed and with pin curls, I will have to try it with braids for a braid out.

Thanks again for the inspiration.;)

MiWay

anky said:
Leave your hair alone for the whole spring/summer. Less heat, manipulation, products...Trust me, you will see a difference. Your hair is growing its fastest in the spring and summer and that will cheer you up!!

I was thinking the same thing. I think I only need like 3-4 inches, and it seems like it's taking forever. I'm hoping the warm weather will bring some serious growth spurts.

Guyaneek

anky said:

I have the same problem as the OP and I can't wait to use the advice in this thread particularly this!

wheezy807

I agree with the ladies that just leave your hair alone/less manipulation as possible and see what happens. And even you said yourself that you maybe just being impatient. Like the saying goes, a watched kettle will never boiled (or something like that). LOL! Plus your makin' me nerve cause i just made APL. LOL! *hugs and kisses*