Very lonnng rant and In need of help

Georgia_Curly

I need help with approaching my sister and mother who wont take my advice on hair care and other things.
My sis:
she wants me to straighten and relax her but she wont let me tell her what products to use(whats good and not good for her hair). I tell her if you do it this way its not going to come out right. She throws a fit and gets an attitude with me and tells me idk what im talking about because im not a hairstylist:rolleyes:. Then I do it the way she wants and she complains about how it come out:angry2:. This when I go *ham* on her:arguing:. I dont know any other way to tell her. Her hair is very very thick, coarse and long(mbl). She also has split ends and a lot breakage. She wants to use a normal relaxer on her. I told her that it wont work because her hair wont take. It just makes her hair look wavy. It would have to sit on longer then suggested. I told her to get a stronger relaxer and she says(PCJ Relaxer) "when mom does it comes out straight" I told her, mom hasn't relaxed your hair with this brand since they started putting olive oil in it. Then she wont put the base(petrolatum) in applicator bottle so it wont be on the new growth. When I relax her hair it looks like a texturizer when wet. It starts to puff back up after stepping outside. She puts to much grease on the hair and when she washes it, all of the base isnt out of her head. SO when I go flatiron it, its all greasy and stiff:wallbash:. But she continues to DO IT HER WAY. So I stopped relaxing her because she doesnt want to listen to me and I refuse to jack her hair up:nono:. Not only that she doesnt wash her like she's suppose to. She doesnt like deep conditioning, trimming or doing protein treatments for hair. She thinks it takes to long:nono:. She wants to flatiron her hair every week I told her that doing that will damage her hair. She uses the wrong flatiron and turns it up too high. her: "I dont care as long as its straight I dont care. I like relaxing my hair every 2-3 weeks." I said sis you need to stretch it out because that's to soon for you and you dont even have a inch or two of new growth. Her: so my hair grows fast and I dont want to walk around with nappy hair. Me: sis just do a roller set etc to stretch it out until you get atleast an inch and half...she thinks conditioners, protein treatments, deep cond are for white people and so does my mother:wallbash:. Both my mother and sis want me to do their hair but doesnt want to listen to my advice.

My mother uses the brown gel when doing ponytails. Then she uses grease to "moisturize":hot: her hair. I told her grease does nothing but clogs your hair pores and that brown gel is breaking your hair off because the alcohol in it. I got her a gel that doesnt have alcohol in it and she likes it. Thats the only thing she would listen to me on. She also doesnt want to do deep conditioning, protein treatment and condition hair:nono:. She thinks her hair wont grow. I told her if she would just listen to me it will. She said it only grows so long and then it stops growing. I told her thats because you dont moisturize, condition, trim, you blow frying :burning:and using a drying shampoo. Her ends are so damage I cant even describe it. When my mother does my little sisters hair (shes natural) she shampoos it with baby shampoo(which strips the mess out of it) and towel dries it. Then she detangles her curly hair when dry breaking the teeths out of the come(half of the teeth on the comb is gone) then applies baby lotion to it(couldnt watch anymore). I see golf ball size hair balls on the counter not just one but 2! she's only 5 she should not have 2 big balls of hair coming out. Finally proceeds with blow drying it:pyro:. She said it worked for your hair when was you a little girl :dead:and your hair has was long. Not only that she is uses rubber bands on her hair instead of ouchless hair bands. She puts my sis hair in tight tight ponytails to the point she has hair bumps in the nape and temple area. Her hair on the temples are very thin. My mother thinks my little sis edges are thin because its genetic. My mother, my middle sis and I edges are thinn but I think its because of how she did me and my sisters hair when we was little. Then she wants to know why my little sis hair wont go. smh She gets into it with me because she thinks im critizing her so she doesnt listen to me. I tell her in a nice way and I suggest I dont demand it. I dont think she understands how much damage she's doing to her and my sister's hair.

On top of all this both my mother and middle sister talks about my hair because I'm transitioning. When ever my sis and I get into an argument she attacks me by saying my hair looks nappy and that I need to perm it( smh instead of her saying relax she says perm) and that kinda hurts because I dont say her hair is nappy and its time to relax her again. She knows that I love my hair, obsessed with hair care and thats a low blow for me when she talks about my hair.:perplexed My mother just sits there while she talks about my hair. Mother thinks I need to relax it because it looks nappy. They always want me to straighten my hair.

How do I approach both of them with out getting into a heated argument with them? without them thinking im critizing them. I just want to help them. Its hard to live in a house with people who dont care for their hair.

I use to do the samething but once I came to longhaircareforum.com I see why my relaxed hair was shedding, breaking, and had split ends. I didnt even know my hair was heat damaged from me flatironing every other day. My cousin had overlapped relaxed my hair. Now I see the damaged I was doing and now I take care of my hair. I dont want my little sis to grow up like how I did, not knowing. I still have the damaged hair and I'm cutting it off little by little until I BC. I'm a long transitioner. For my mom I wish she would support me going natural instead talking about me.

msa

Whew! That's a lot of stuff going on. I'm sorry you're dealing with all that negativity.

Here's the thing, just because you want to help your sister and mom doesn't mean they have to accept that help. They're grown and since they've repeatedly told you they want to do things their way, it's best that you let them. If that means not doing their hair, then fine, stay out of their heads. In this case, it would be better for you to show them instead of tell them. Since they're obviously not interested, talk haircare on the board and not at home.

It is rude of them to talk about you negatively just because you're transitioning. I think that if you can just nip it in the bud when they do it, life will be easier for you. So if your mom or sister says something about your hair let them know to stop...you could say something like "my hair looks fine, if you don't like it keep it to yourself" and either end the conversation or change the subject. After a while, they'll stop when they see they can't get to you that way.

Last, the only person's hair I'd really be worried about is the 5 year old's. Do you think you can start doing her hair instead of your mom? I think if you tell your mom you'll do it to help her out (save time, give her a break) then she may let you. And that way you can make sure your sister's hair is being taken care of better.

BonBon

Maybe you will just have to leave them to it.

TBH if I was living in your home and saw your pretty long hair I'd be hanging off your words lol.
Usually people on here say that their family doesn't listen until they grow their hair out and then fam starts asking for reccomendations:rolleyes:. If they are still not interested I don't think there is much more you can do:ohwell:.

TonicaG

TonicaG
GURL - If that ain't a bunch of foolish drama you're dealing with, grits ain't groceries!!! If it were me, I'd bow out gracefully and not participate in that madness. If they don't want to listen to you it's okay, they don't have to and you can't make 'em, but I would reserve the right to say "I told you so" when that time comes.

For them, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If they like it, then you should love it! Leave it alone, find something else to direct your attention on and keep it moving! You can't make grown folks do nothing!

Honey, life is too short, let it go!!! Remove yourself from the equation and let them be.

It's all good, really it is...

Georgia_Curly

Whew! That's a lot of stuff going on. I'm sorry you're dealing with all that negativity.

Here's the thing, just because you want to help your sister and mom doesn't mean they have to accept that help. They're grown and since they've repeatedly told you they want to do things their way, it's best that you let them. If that means not doing their hair, then fine, stay out of their heads. In this case, it would be better for you to show them instead of tell them. Since they're obviously not interested, talk haircare on the board and not at home.

It is rude of them to talk about you negatively just because you're transitioning. I think that if you can just nip it in the bud when they do it, life will be easier for you. So if your mom or sister says something about your hair let them know to stop...you could say something like "my hair looks fine, if you don't like it keep it to yourself" and either end the conversation or change the subject. After a while, they'll stop when they see they can't get to you that way.

Last, the only person's hair I'd really be worried about is the 5 year old's. Do you think you can start doing her hair instead of your mom? I think if you tell your mom you'll do it to help her out (save time, give her a break) then she may let you. And that way you can make sure your sister's hair is being taken care of better.
Thank you msa:wave:

I have showed them the hairboard and they tell me their to busy to look at it..but they can be on facebook and myspace all day smh. They are very stuck in their own ways. I've done my little sister's hair and my mother complains that its not like how she wants it. She says that I'm putting to many products in her head:rolleyes: and she doesn't need all of that stuff. I have told them both to stop talking about my hair and they continue to do it. I just ignore them when they say it now because I know they just trying to break me down and want me to give in but I'm not. I stopped telling them lately about hair care now because they aren't listening to it. I just gave up and its annoying how they want me to do their hair. I told them i'm not jacking up their because they can do it themselves, I refuse to be apart of a disaster.

Georgia_Curly

Maybe you will just have to leave them to it.

TBH if I was living in your home and saw your pretty long hair I'd be hanging off your words lol.
Usually people on here say that their family doesn't listen until they grow their hair out and then fam starts asking for reccomendations:rolleyes:. If they are still not interested I don't think there is much more you can do:ohwell:.

Thanks tickledpink09

I will definitely leave them alone now because they think I'm annoying now.
lol its funny because I was just saying the same thing -> " until they grow their hair out and then fam starts asking for recommendations." When they do, I'll be ready lol Plus they think I'm a product junkie and i'm obsessed with all natural hair products. The last part is true I'm a ingredient label nazi when I go in BSS.

Georgia_Curly

GURL - If that ain't a bunch of foolish drama you're dealing with, grits ain't groceries!!! If it were me, I'd bow out gracefully and not participate in that madness. If they don't want to listen to you it's okay, they don't have to and you can't make 'em, but I would reserve the right to say "I told you so" when that time comes.

For them, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If they like it, then you should love it! Leave it alone, find something else to direct your attention on and keep it moving! You can't make grown folks do nothing!

Honey, life is too short, let it go!!! Remove yourself from the equation and let them be.

It's all good, really it is...

lol your right I cant make them..you just dont how bad I can't wait to tell them I told them so..i'm itching to do it. thank you TonicaG

SweetSpirit86

Goodness! That's a lot you're going through, and you shouldn't have to have it coming from the people that are supposed to be family. However, we all know in reality family still equals people, and people will act like that. I agree with everything MSA said. Don't let the negativity get to you.:bighug:It'll get better.

CoilyFields

What about doing cornrows on your little sis?

I had issues with how one of my new friends was doing her daughters hair (relaxer at 4 and dry and damaged). Though I started sharing some ideas with her i felt that it would be too overwhelming for me to explain all the stuff I had learned over the course of 1 year in one conversation and would not help change her hair practices. So i told her I would french braid her daughters hair every couple of weeks. This keeps mom from damaging daughters hair and keeps it protected. And each week i sneek in a tip or too.

shunemite

Just keep doing your hair correctly and silently. They're not gonna respond to you telling them, because they've been hearing all this wrong information for so long. From the general population. I think you're outnumbered, but maybe down the road, your hair will continue to speak for itself and they will be coming to you later on for advice. I have the same problem right now with my own family, one member doesn't understand why I wash my hair weekly instead of every 2 months. I just ignore and do my thing.

lilsparkle825

Man, I wish I could abuse my hair like your sister and be MBL...

...my motto is show them and stop trying to tell them. My aunt, cousins, NO ONE listened when I stopped using grease and began transitioning, and it got even worse once I BC'd. I was able to get through to my mom and sister, but I figure once I get to BSL/MBL I can try to talk to my cousins again, but not a moment sooner. Hell, that's gonna be an uphill battle anyway since they are convinced my hair will be like that because I am light skinned with "good hair" :look: and not because I started taking care of it. At this point, you are beating a dead horse and if I were you I would have nothing more to do with your sister or mom's hair. Now the LITTLE sister...I have no advice other than keep working on your mom. On the bright side, at least she is not relaxed :)

Georgia_Curly

Man, I wish I could abuse my hair like your sister and be MBL...

...my motto is show them and stop trying to tell them. My aunt, cousins, NO ONE listened when I stopped using grease and began transitioning, and it got even worse once I BC'd. I was able to get through to my mom and sister, but I figure once I get to BSL/MBL I can try to talk to my cousins again, but not a moment sooner. Hell, that's gonna be an uphill battle anyway since they are convinced my hair will be like that because I am light skinned with "good hair" :look: and not because I started taking care of it. At this point, you are beating a dead horse and if I were you I would have nothing more to do with your sister or mom's hair. Now the LITTLE sister...I have no advice other than keep working on your mom. On the bright side, at least she is not relaxed :)
I said the samething about my middle sis hair. I was thinking how come you can damage your hair and it still be mbl??? when I did it my hair come out like crazy. I will show them how I grow my natural hair. I think once they see me at BSL then that's when they will listen to me. When my mother and sis get mad they say my hair is bad but when they are calm their like oh your hair is good. I'm like which one is it ppl?? can be both lol I'm tore between the two with my little sis. I want to help her but at the same time I'm tired of my mother saying all this stuff. I asked my mother today,once she gets older what are you going to do with it? she told me if it gets like mines she is going to relax it too. smh My middle sis got her first relaxer at 3 or 4 years old :nono: I got mine at 11(by force) I promised myself once I get older I'm going back natural. Look at me now already transitioning and I'm so happy too.
Thanks lilsparkle825:yawn:

Georgia_Curly

Goodness! That's a lot you're going through, and you shouldn't have to have it coming from the people that are supposed to be family. However, we all know in reality family still equals people, and people will act like that. I agree with everything MSA said. Don't let the negativity get to you.:bighug:It'll get better.
I definitely agree with everything you said SweetSpirit86:bighug: thank you

ThickHair

Just be done with the both of them. Also, sad to say, leave you little sister alone, she is not your kid. You grew up and figured it out hopefully she will.

You are stressing yourself over nothing, they are grown and, just leave grow folks alone.

Pls don't take this the wrong way, but your post seems very self centered and selfish. It is all about your way, and your way being it.

Georgia_Curly

What about doing cornrows on your little sis?

I had issues with how one of my new friends was doing her daughters hair (relaxer at 4 and dry and damaged). Though I started sharing some ideas with her i felt that it would be too overwhelming for me to explain all the stuff I had learned over the course of 1 year in one conversation and would not help change her hair practices. So i told her I would french braid her daughters hair every couple of weeks. This keeps mom from damaging daughters hair and keeps it protected. And each week i sneek in a tip or too.
My little sister has downs syndrome...if you have ever been around someone like that you know exactly what I'm talking about..its like pulling teeth with her. She barely lets anyone touch her. She would looked so messed up with braids because the parts wouldnt be straight at all. I tried to do individuals and that takes 2 ppl to do them. Then she likes to mess her hair up after someone does it. Plus nobody in the house can cornrow but thanks Coilyfields

Georgia_Curly

Just keep doing your hair correctly and silently. They're not gonna respond to you telling them, because they've been hearing all this wrong information for so long. From the general population. I think you're outnumbered, but maybe down the road, your hair will continue to speak for itself and they will be coming to you later on for advice. I have the same problem right now with my own family, one member doesn't understand why I wash my hair weekly instead of every 2 months. I just ignore and do my thing.

From now on my hair will do the talking for me and they'll see soon. My mother always tell me" didnt you just wash your hair monday ?? I said yes and it needs to be washed again and that was last monday its Monday again mom. She doesnt understand african american hair needs to be washed(conditioned) more often because our hair is very dry. She nags because I'm always washing my hair and it takes forever in the morning to get ready. My middle sis looked at my big containers of hair products and she picked my conditioners up and said" why is there more conditioners than shampoos in here" I told her condition the hair more than shampoo. Shampoo dries the hair out if done to much and conditioner makes it soft and moisturized. When I was relaxed I washed my hair every 2 weeks. I feel your pain shunemite :( thanks for commenting

Georgia_Curly

Just be done with the both of them. Also, sad to say, leave you little sister alone, she is not your kid. You grew up and figured it out hopefully she will.

You are stressing yourself over nothing, they are grown and, just leave grow folks alone.

Pls don't take this the wrong way, but your post seems very self centered and selfish. It is all about your way, and your way being it.

hmmm apparently you dont know my little sister or me for that matter to even approach me like that.

she being closed minded.

My middle sis is not grown. She is 16 years old honey that is not grown in this house. How am I being self centered if Im trying to help them??? A self centered person wouldnt even say nothing and let them continue to damage their hair. If you dont have anything positive to say or advice plz leave this thread alone thank you.

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

You have gotten some great advice here tonight but if I may add
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

I know they are family, and I understand your concern, but try not to get emotionally envolved in their bad hair choices. Control what you can control, and that's what you say and how you react. You can't control them so don't bother trying. It will only drive you nuts, and make you look like the crazy one in this nonsense.

As far as your mother not being supportive of you going natural. Just know you are not the only one. When I first went natural my mother said "Mike, where's your wife, where did you get that thing?'

Just yesterday she said "Natural hair was horrible and ugly."

Come to LHCF for support, we love a beautiful head of healthy hair natural or relaxed.

For some reason sometimes the people who treat you the worst will be the ones who love you the most, Learn how to not internalize the negative, and find other resources and people in your life who will support your decisions.

And just because they say something you disagree with, they is no law that says you have to respond, let them say whatever they want, you can't control that so don't try.
But you can learn to control your emotions and reactions.

I hope this helps
Come here for support if you can't get it at home. just trust they will come around

Georgia_Curly

You have gotten some great advice here tonight but if I may add
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

I know they are family, and I understand your concern, but try not to get emotionally envolved in their bad hair choices. Control what you can control, and that's what you say and how you react. You can't control them so don't bother trying. It will only drive you nuts, and make you look like the crazy one in this nonsense.

As far as your mother not being supportive of you going natural. Just know you are not the only one. When I first went natural my mother said "Mike, where's your wife, where did you get that thing?'

Just yesterday she said "Natural hair was horrible and ugly."

Come to LHCF for support, we love a beautiful head of healthy hair natural or relaxed.

For some reason sometimes the people who treat you the worst will be the ones who love you the most, Learn how to not internalize the negative, and find other resources and people in your life who will support your decisions.

And just because they say something you disagree with, they is no law that says you have to respond, let them say whatever they want, you can't control that so don't try.
But you can learn to control your emotions and reactions.

I hope this helps
Come here for support if you can't get it at home. just trust they will come around
thank you for your very good advice it may seem like I want to control them but I dont and I'm really sorry if it seems that way. I love my family and I only want the best for them. Like you said cant make them drink. Today I just ignore them when they say negative things to me.

lucea

Hi Georgia Curly,

ITA with MSA on this. Do the best you can with the 5 year old - stay away from the relaxer at all costs. As for the 16 year old, maybe introduce her to one technique at a time? You're doing a great job with your transition... lead by example.

Last edited:

Georgia_Curly

Hi Georgia Curly,

ITA with MSA on this. Do the best you can with the 5 year old - stay away from the relaxer at all costs. As for the 16 year old, maybe introduce her to one technique at a time? You're doing a great job with your transition... lead by example.

I haven't touched a relaxer in 2 months with my middle sis. I told her let her mother do it since she gets it straight. My sis likes roller sets so maybe she will like that when she stretches but its her call i'm not going to force her to do it at all though. Thank you sohoapt:yawn: I try with my transition. Thanks to you and other women who showed me how to transition.