Why Does water = the devil?

Moonxyz

So Im back with my parents for the summer holidays and my mom has been criticising my hair regimen :rolleyes:

me: I forgot my spray bottle can you buy me one?

her: yeah sure but what are ou going to spray

me: my hair :look:

her: dont you know that water is bad for your hair :ohwell:
your hair is going to go all hard and break

me: :ohwell: no its not. if i want my hair to grow it HAS to be moisturised and water is the way to go :yep: . and i use coconut oil and con with it.

her: whatever but dont go crying to me when your hair breaks :nono:.

i havent even told her about the bi weekly DC s I plan to on doing.

I told her i got the advice from LHCF and she said that all the girls here are probably mixed so i shouldnt listen to yall :rolleyes:

then i said how come I have past shoulder lenght hair ( which she considers long) and she sas well your dads family has that growing type of hair :rolleyes:

My mother has never been past neck lenght and her hair is dry and brittle.
she doesnt ever dc, co wash or shampoo unless its at the hairdresser ( she goes their every 2 or 3 weeks)

i dont know why she thinks water is SO bad for her but what shes been doing isnt working either :look:

clever

:bighug:
She probally doesn't mean any harm.That reminds me of my mother when I first started.If you only know one way thats the way you assume is correct.I just ignored her and went on with my wet water filled head because I knew she didn't know any better.Now my hair is swangin' and she knows what I'm doing is working without me having to convince her.

PS-when growing hair I have learned to move in silence and only offer advice when someone asks because I realize everybody doesn't want to hear about hair all day :lanchen:The proof is in the puddin!

ladylibra

old habits and beliefs die hard. you mom is just going off what she "knows", like i always say i can SHOW you better than i can TELL you. your mama ain't tryna hear it right now. let your progress speak for itself :yep:

Moonxyz

PS-when growing hair I have learned to move in silence and only offer advice when someone asks because I realize everybody doesn't want to hear about hair all day :lanchen:The proof is in the puddin!

girl i knew she would make negative comments but i needed the spra bottle so i had to talk to her about it. from now on Im goign to shut up :yep:.
In a few months Im sure she ll be asking me about the special hair cream that makes ou hair grow fast :rolleyes:

old habits and beliefs die hard. you mom is just going off what she "knows", like i always say i can SHOW you bet than i can TELL you. your mama ain't tryna hear it right now. let your progress speak for itself :yep:

girl i told her that im going to be BSL in about 9 months or less and im sending her a pic too.

thanks girls. Ill keep my mouth shut from now on.

Mook's hair

LOL! Yeah, we must be a bunch of half-breed-mulatto, mixed girls.
Pish-Posh...put water on your hair... You'll be sorry.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

That's the que to never mention your hair practices again. You'll have to wait until she askes you...if she asks you. Because the assumption will likely be what you already mentioned...that your hair only grows cause' Dad-n 'nem
got that good hurr! the growing type.

Just show your glory by letting it grow. and keep your head up.

Tamrin

unapologetic
LOL! Yeah, we must be a bunch of half-breed-mulatto, mixed girls.
Pish-Posh...put water on your hair... You'll be sorry.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

That's the que to never mention your hair practices again. You'll have to wait until she askes you...if she asks you. Because the assumption will likely be what you already mentioned...that your hair only grows cause' Dad-n 'nem
got that good hurr! the growing type.

Just show your glory by letting it grow. and keep your head up.

Darn it where have I heard those words before? LOL

Girl keep doing what you doing..I agree move in silence.

Hair Iam

Soon mom will be begging you for some tips and doing this :wallbash:
because she didn't take you advice sooner :grin:

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

Darn it where have I heard those words before? LOL

Girl keep doing what you doing..I agree move in silence.

in here (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=241495) lol!

i asked my mom for a spray bottle too and she said the same thing so when its something hair related i just give her "that look" and she goes "oh something for your hair". after that time she said "you sure are putting a lot of weird things on your hair/skin" i just stopped passing on the philosophies and started using some of them on her. she doesn't know cause half the time she falls asleep before i put her under the hood dryer. she has been complimenting me lately, telling me my hair looks healthy and longer and what not, and my progress pics made her say "that stuff must be working". moral of the story, dont tell em, just show em, like you said.

joyandfaith

Moms are a trip aren't they? I told my mom about LHCF and said that lots of ladies here grow their hair to their waist and thats what I plan to do. She says, "well yeah, your hair has been that length before (when I was 5 mind you) so you just have that kind of hair". I was a little saddened to know that even if I work hard and grow my hair to waist length she'll write it off as "that kinda hair".

Last edited:

Irresistible

So Im back with my parents for the summer holidays and my mom has been criticising my hair regimen :rolleyes:

me: :ohwell: no its not. if i want my hair to grow it HAS to be moisturised and water is the way to go :yep: . and i use coconut oil and con with it.

I told her i got the advice from LHCF and she said that all the girls here are probably mixed so i shouldnt listen to yall :rolleyes:

then i said how come I have past shoulder lenght hair ( which she considers long) and she sas well your dads family has that growing type of hair :rolleyes:

she doesnt ever dc, co wash or shampoo unless its at the hairdresser ( she goes their every 2 or 3 weeks)

i dont know why she thinks water is SO bad for her but what shes been doing isnt working either :look:
Its the truth for her , water is the devil, without all the other stuff your doing, it would lead to hair hell! for many of our hair types

lilsparkle825

Moms are a trip aren't they? I told my mom about LHCF and said that lots of ladies here grow their hair to their waist and thats what I plan to do. She says, "well yeah, your hair has been that length before (when I was 5 mind you) so you just have that kind of hair". I was a little saddened to know that even if I work hard and grow my hair to waste length she'll write it off as "that kinda hair".
sounds like the rest of my fam...they used to always talk about me and my brother having "good hair" because of our dad...now that my mom is transitioning too they saw her natural texture for the first time in years (my cousin who is 23 and i have NEVER seen it mind you) and all of a sudden my mom magically has good hair to them.

:look:

Newtogrow

water used to be the devil when i was growing up and my momma would do a hard press every two weeks.

I could never go swimming.

Today, i reminisced on those days while i did the backstroke in the pool (texlaxed!!!) What freedom!!!!:grin:

Yo momma don't mean no harm girl, my momma still sporting the jeri curl and her face was like:nono: this when i went natural.

I'll always love my momma!!!!!!

ebonylocs

A few years ago, before i even knew there was an lhcf, someone told me that water would "rot" my hair. I was growing out my relaxer at the time, and got my hair wet in the mornings to ease the combign out process.

I didn't answer, because I knew she wasn't correct. My hair ahd always been fairly healthy and I had common sense.

But there are times when water does not agree with my hair. e.g. when the water is hard, or like now when I have long dense thin overprocessed relaxed strands. Right now, getting my hair soaking wet is a recipe for tangling which --> breakage. So I'm only washing my hair once a week. And during the week, I might spritz the *ends* *lightly* now and then to prevent them from drying out.

Moonxyz

Thanks girls.

she hasnt made anY negative comments yesterday and today and hopefully it will stay that way.

I still lover her though :yep: Im sure she means no harm and trully thinks she knows best :rolleyes:

Traycee

Just keep doing what your doing....I got the same type of comments when I started....But now that everyone sees it works ....They want advice...I'm the family stylist and hair consultant...:lachen::lachen: