very thin lifeless hair...

AliMarie

Hello fellow Hair Divas!

I am new to the board and thrilled with all that I have learned. Time to stop reading and start posting!

I need major help! I just returned to getting a relaxer after 5 years of being natural (if getting my hair pressed with a hot comb, followed by a curling iron every 1.5 - 2 weeks is "natural). I got a new full head relaxer (considered "virgin" at the salon) - as a result my hair is very thin and a bit lifeless. I think my stylist got me extremely bone straight...

Prior to going natural I wore a relaxer for years and my hair was never this lifeless - it was always full and glorious. Is my head kind of thin because I just got a new relaxer? Any tips to work on the fullness?

Help! Thanks a million...

"Hi, I'm AliMarie and I'm a Product Junkie" (the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem!)

Peachtree

Hi Alimarie,

LET ME BE THE FIRST TO WELCOME YOU TO OUR HEALTHY HAIR FAMILY /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I am sorry, but I don't have enough "healthy hair experience" to properly advice you, but I can say that you may want to give your hair plenty of DEEP CONDITIONINGS to counteract some of the drying damage that relaxers have on our hair.

I've never had a issue with "thin" hair, but lifeless hair, yes. Deep conditioning every 5 days has brought life back to my hair. I use Motions moisture plus...(this is the only product I have bought since being healthy hair conscience). I'm sure other members can recommend better products.

And another thing, I'm not a product junkie "PJ" yet; but you'll find PLENTY of company here! Alot of our members are in
"PJ's 12 Step Program"....sorry ladies, I thought that was funny /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I still love y'all though.
(But ch'all still are junkies /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

God Bless,
Peachtree

tiahes

Hi AliMarie, I'm fairly new to the post, but I also had a relaxer put in my virgin hair, 3wks ago. I have 4a type hair, but my hair used to be thin and lifeless yrs. ago which is one of the main reasons for going natural. Anyway maybe your stylist used a stronger relaxer than your hair really needed. To combat, don't use a lot of products on your hair, try only using the basics ie: shampoo, conditioner, leave-in but good products for your hair type. I like Kera Care and Sebastian for body, also try getting roller wraps so you can stay away from the heat as much as possible. Well good luck, and I am sure other ladies will give you ideas also. Happy hair growing!

pebbles

Hi AliMarie,

Welcome to the Board! I'm one of the members that Peachtree was talking about, who's taking part in the "PJ 12 step program." (Peachtree, that was funny!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I'll admit it, I need this sort of discipline! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Your hair is probably fine and lifeless because your hairdresser used a strong relaxer. I'm sure your hair is beautiful. Deep condition every 3-5 days to combat dry, lifeless hair. Give it a little time and I'm sure you'll notice a big difference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think it's just the newness of the relaxer myself. Good Luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think it's just the newness of the relaxer myself. Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the board /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think that I have to agree somewhat with Pebbles on this one. Usually after a fresh relaxer every 2 months my hair feels limp and flat (I for one don't actually mind this cause it has my 2 strand twists actually looking better) but after say 2 weeks of washing and conditioning about 2-3 times a week the hair eventually 'fills' out and get a more fuller-not-so-freshly-relaxed- look even if there is no visible signs of regrowth.

Yes it could be possible that your stylist may have relaxed your hair bone straight, but give it a few weeks before you can really tell. Cause with me my hair has a tendancy to look freshly relaxed for approx 2 weeks.

Also for you it would feel really different again after being natural. My hair feels different with only 1 inch of regrowth lawd knows what it must feel like to have the whole of your head relaxed after a long break from relaxers.

Good luck with it all.

Alimarie,

My one suggestion would be to do a couple of protein treatments followed by a moisturizing conditioner. This alone I find helps thicken up the hair. At least in my case it does. If you hair is limp and lifeless this will help with that and just strengthen up hair that may *possibly* be overprocessed and therefore weakened.

Do this a good couple of times/maybe 3 at most, and then fade it out to just deep moisturizing conditioning to increase and retain the moisture levels that the protein takes out. I would wash/condition every 4 days. Protein c wise I use Aphogee 2 min Keratin, Jherri Redding Deep Protein or Infusium Power Pac.

Nexxus Headdress Leave In is an excellent product to add volume to hair and you don't need to put too much in either. Just apply to wet hair before rollar setting/drying and your hair is plumped /images/graemlins/grin.gif I use it occasionally.

Good luck and keep us informed?

Robin41

Welcome, AliMarie. I'm a new member too. My hair is also very fine, partly due to genetics (thanks, Mom) and partly due to abuse over the years. Thank goodness I've found this board and others like it and have been on the road to healthy hair since August. My hair feels much thinner and lighter immediately after a touch-up but after a few shampoos and conditioning treatments, it gets much more body. Let us know if your hair fills out more after you've shampooed a few times. Good luck! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AliMarie

Thanks for all of the input!

So I hot oiled, washed &amp; conditioned my hair last night and attempted a Wet Set ( I certainly need to practice that one!). My hair already has life. But it is in a ponytail today because I have mastered how to use those rollers and the darn clips....
The positive is that as tempted as I was, I didn't reach for the curling iron!

well done!!

For help tips with rollar setting, check out Amillion's post on it. It lays out in detail how to section the hair, roll it and secure the clips. Do keep it up. Took a while for me to master, it is very fiddly, but it does get easier.

free2bme

Welcome to the board! I know how disappointed you must feel, I myself am recovering from a recent relaxer mishap.

I know you mentioned that you were natural until recently but you used heat frequently when naural. Unfortunately heat is just as damaging to natural hair as it is to chemically altered hair. So I suspect that your virgin hair might of been a bit compromised.

To get back on the right track, I would stay away from heatstyling (roller setting the exception). Get regular protein treatments. The ladies here seem to swear by Motions CPR, Aubreys GPB, Aphogee and Nexxus Emergencee/keraphix. determine which works best for you.

Also drench your hair in moisture. There are tons moisturizing deep conditiners, leave-in and hair dressings out there. The above brands make good ones also.

Pamper your hair. B/4 you know it your hair will be back it's glory. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck!!