thin, fragile and lifeless

patience007

Hi everyone,
I've just became a member to the board. And I need some serious advice. I hope ya"ll will be able to help me. My hair has become so lifeless over the past 3 months, till it's to the point where my sisters call me baldy. It never has been so thin before. First i thought it was because my hair had gotten longer, but i think the problem is that my hair got overprocessed and then i had boxbraids for 2 months, then i relaxed it again. Does anyone have any tips to help me?????

C

Cami

Hey, I've been through that stage before when my sister used to do my perms. That's when I used to get touchups every 6-8 weeks and use super-strength relaxers. My hair was long, but it was sooo thin that I was embarassed to wear it down. To solve this I had to cut my hair even at shoulder length and start over again. That was back when I was in high school. Last year I cut my hair shoulder lenth again to grow it back because I was sick of the layers. It sounds like it may be overprocessed, how often do you get relaxers? Do you moisturize your hair and get your ends trimmed?

G

Maybe you could lay off relaxers for awhile, and get your hair cut. I'd pay special attention to caring for it with deep conditioners and making sure it stays moisturized. Are you taking any vitamins? You poor baby
I know it feels bad to feel self consious about something, but this can be corrected with a little t.l.c.... I hope you get some good advice today.

Country gal

I would suggest sporting a wig for a week or two to give your hair a break. I feel that braids can overstress your hair sometimes. I will also suggest cutting off the thin layers of your hair. I will take vitamins and use castor oil around your hair line. I will take a good hour or two and read through past threads. I am sure you will get good advice from here.

patience007

Thanks guys for replying to me so quickly and making me feel at home. I think i will cut my hair shorter and start taking vitamins.

Tonya

One of my problems when my hair was going thru this stage was how ofetn I relaxed....how often do you relax your hair and what relaxer do u use? Do u use curling irons and blow dryers? What products do you use? What is your regime?

patience007

Usually, I relax my hair every 10 - 14 weeks. I never use a curling iron. I only use heat when I visit the salon which once a month to blow dry my hair or when i deep pentrate my hair with a cap. I usually take good care of my hair. This one time I trusted my sister with hair it got ruined immediately. I naturally have thin hair but it always had alot of body. now i am emabarassed to wear it down. i think even when i cut it i will be embarassed to wear it down. I use motion no -lye relaxer regular.

Tracy

Thin, limp and lifeless hair also responds well to carefully and gradually adding the right dosage (for your hair type and it's specific needs) of protein into your regime.

Begin with creamy protein conditioners like Dudley's Hair Rebuilder and HI PRO PAC. Be sure to always follow protein conditioners with a good mositurizer- tho I would use heat with the protein (for optimum penetration) and then follow with a 10-15 minute moisturizing conditioner to ensure you don't get tangles.

The time limit is in the interest of not having the moisturizing conditioner soften the hair too much (you don't want to make it any softer than it already is. The idea is strength. Build strength into the hair, in addition to the stellar advice you've gotten above and your hair will thrive.

Faith

Welcome

Also try Biotin shampoo and conditioners by MillCreek. It helped my sister's hair a lot (and her hair problems were from meds)

Armyqt

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
patience007 said:
Thanks guys for replying to me so quickly and making me feel at home. I think i will cut my hair shorter and start taking vitamins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patience, before you cut your hair off, try some of the methods suggested
. You may want to consider grdual trimming and doing the things I suggested in my PM to get the hair to appear thicker. As far the B-5 (pantothenic acid) the recommmended dosage is 2 split 500mg doses a day.

AZJeepgurl

Hello, Patience

In response to your PM, I don't know much about your hair type but could it be possible that you are using too much product that could weigh your hair down?

Have you tried something new? Please explain your regime, including products so that we all can get a clearer idea of tips to offer?

It sounds to me like you do all the right things by keeping heat off of your hair, etc.

Have you been ill recently? Are you shedding or experiencing breakage? Share all the things you can think of.

Take Care and hang in there, Girly!
AZ

P.S. Welcome to the board!

patience007

My regimen is:

1. I washmy hair 1X a week with nexus therapy shampoo.

2. I deep condition my hair with ORS hair mayonaise or
IC fantasia with a plastic cap under my hairdryer for
20 minutes.

3. I use a leave -in conditioner Infusium 23 or Placenta needles and i roller set.

I roller set my hair everynite, I part my hair in big sections and roll it with jumbo hard rollers(orange ).
All I do is add WGO to the ends and rollerset and tie my hair with a scarf.

I use wildgrowth oil in my hair and on my ends
I use a reconstructer once a month by nexus keraphix (1x a month)

Since my hair became lifeless i"ve tried a new method.

1.I wash my hair with nexus vitatress shampoo with biotin or nioxin nutrient hair cleanser as first wash . And then as second wash i use motion lavish shampoo. (once a week)
2. I deep penetrate with Ic fantasia for 30 under the dryer.
3.I condition my hair with Nexus Vitatress cylisthine treatment for thin and fragile hair(spelt wrong)
4.I use Ic fantasia leave - in conditioner
And roller set

I hope to have triggered some of the question u may have pertaining to my hair regime with this global explaination of my hair regime.

My hair type:
I am not sure what category my hair falls into. But I think my hairtype is 4a\3. When my hair is wet it curls up. But I have coarse, thin and kinky hair. It's not wirey ,it's more wavy.

I hope this helps!!

AZJeepgurl

Hi, Patience

I really can't see anything in your haircare routine that could provide a concrete answer of why you are going through this strange hair phase.

I've never used any of the products you do, so I have no advice to offer there.

I really wish that I could have been more help, but I'm afraid I am as stumped as you are.

Good luck finding your answer,
AZ

Brownie

Since you have the length, maybe you should try doing condition washes/rinses (I do this every night) and braid outs? For some people, this helps to thicken their hair up, or it helps to make it look thicker anyway. Also, doing braid outs requires less manipulation than roller sets. Some people have also had favorable results using the vitamin B-5, which is supposed to thicken the hair.