Waist Length Challenge 2015

Checking in ...

I have totally been slipping on my hair game for the past few weeks. I noticed recently that I haven't cowashed in three weeks, going on four. (I haven't even spritzed my hair with anything moisturizing in past three weeks.) Yesterday, I added AVJ to my spritz bottle and got back on my square. I applied my sulfur mix two nights ago and will reapply tonight. (Special thanks to you Fenaxa for mentioning that you purchased SAA recently ... it reminds me that I need to add some to my AVJ spray.)

I wanted to take my marley twists down by the end of the month but I don't have the time or the motivation for that. I plan on taking my hair down and posting my beginning pic for 2014 around the MLK holiday.

My goals for this week are to get back in the gym for a long overdue cardio session, to apply my sulfur mix at least three times this week and to cowash at least once.

I hope you all are doing well ...

Joining lots of challenges in '14.
Anyway,
I don't really think I'm going to make waist length in '15 but here's a shot

I'm transitioning to natural from texlax,
I wear wigs or bun protected by a satin cap and a beanie
Wash 1x a week. During wash, shampoo, condition, DC, PT
To get to my goal, apply growth aid (sulfur and megatek in flaxseed oil) and take vits.

My short term goals for '14 are full APL by May and BSB by Dec

My last post has one of my starting pictures. App keeps messing up.
Below are the rest

View attachment 236479

View attachment 236481

View attachment 236483

View attachment 236485

View attachment 236487

First are starting pics
Bun pics are PS
Mirror pic is Dec goal
And sorry for my face in these and the other post!

Last edited:
ojemba, I wish I could wear cornrows past 4wks after the 4wk mark my hair will start matting. I need a PS style like this so I can keep my hands out of my hair, right now I'm bunning.

Hey ladies!

I would love to join this challenge. This is actually my first ever post so I hope I'm doing this right. Pictures to come.

Ultimate Goal: WL but if it grows longer I wont stop it.

Regimen: I don't really have a strict regimen I just do what I think my hair needs at the time.

I pre poo with coconut oil overnight
or do a hot oil treatment that is a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E oil
Sometimes I do a apple cider vinegar rinse before washing if I feel my hair is really dirty
I co-wash with As I Am coconut co-wash conditioner
I deep condition with Shea moisture deep treatment masque
or Shea moisture purification masque
If I feel I need some added protein I now add Pure Protein to my deep conditioners (this is new)
I use cold aloe vera juice for my last rinse and seal the moisture with the same oil mixture I use in my hot oil treatments

For styling I use the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie
and/ or my whipped shea butter
I use my argon oil eco styler for buns
and my curls passion fruit control paste for my edges

I trade off between braids, twists, and wigs for protective styling

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: about 7

Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) doesn't matter to me, I love it all... I have been fully natural since 2011

Tips/Tricks:using coconut oil as a prepoo before any wash makes detangling a breeze

Issues or difficulties you're having: i was having difficulties with the moisture/ protein balance in my hair but i think the pure protein may have solved it. I only used it once so I'm still trying it out.

Last edited:
I can already tell that APL is going to be a beast to get past. I thought (hoped) it'd be different this time around since I'm natural but it's not. This is just that milestone that's hardest for me to get past.
Right now, my ends on my nape (about 1" past APL in the front) have so many SSKs. Usually I could care less but these are starting to make my ends feel crispy. I was seconds away from cutting that inch off. I know this stage is just telling me that I need to do something different with my hair. When I get back home on Thursday, I may buy Long Aid Curl Activator (We have had a long relationship in the past... :lol:). I've been staying away from it due to the ingredients but it got me past APL when I was relaxed, I'm not sure how it'll turn out on my natural hair but I'm going to try.
I should also try glycerin and aloe vera gel (I just looked up the curl activator ingredients) beforehand though. I'm gonna try natural things until there's no other choice.
Anywho, I have all my hair braided up (took me two hours) and I'm just going to leave them in until April. Rebraiding little by little of course.
I just need to keep my hair out of my way completely for about one year to get past APL and stretched in the nape to keep many SSKs/fairy knots away.
I hope APL is the only milestone that my hair acts like this at. Wouldn't want this to happen again at Tailbone or something.

I wonder if i can reach WL with wash n goes. i might throw in a rollerset here and there too

ojemba, I wish I could wear cornrows past 4wks after the 4wk mark my hair will start matting. I need a PS style like this so I can keep my hands out of my hair, right now I'm bunning.

Firstborn2 you can probably re-do your cornrows every 4 weeks after a wash and deep condish.

Yea keeping my hands out my hair is my problem too.

I just finished flat ironing my hair, after a morning battle with knots & matting. I did a light dusting. I'll do a full trim at my next relaxer. I need to put the V shape back into my hemline.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 80
Currently deep conditioning my hair.

I am using up my stash so I used a conditioner that's a mix of like 4 other conditioners, which is good. My bottle of Redken Extreme is now done!

I also added my StaSoFro to my Shea butter mix so that continer is now in the trash too!

Anywho, afterwards I'll do big braids to dry and then tomorrow I'll try to cornrow updo my hair... We'll see.

I wore a classic, signature style today. Sleek, waved and afro sheened up in the front, curly, soft and in a banana clip in the back.

I need a good flat iron. January 1st. I'm flat ironing my hair for the first time, but I need a flat iron with a low setting. I don't want to use that much heat.

Any of you ladies no of a good flat iron?
Also any tips on flat ironing natural hair?

Sailor Saturn the lost scout

I need a good flat iron. January 1st. I'm flat ironing my hair for the first time, but I need a flat iron with a low setting. I don't want to use that much heat.

Moknowshair ob YouTube has a great flatironing vid but shes like a type 2/3

Babygrowth

She has lovely hair.
Not sure that'd work for me though.

Have any type 4's got good results straightening with using less than 400 degree heat?

My stylist uses 375 on me. I can't recall the iron she uses but its not a name I'm familiar with.

I use 400. I have a Biosilk Ceramic Flat Iron (Marshall's for $25) and a Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium Iron (Ebay for $30).

It's all about a good DC and blow out before the actual straightening when it comes to my hair.

angelhairtype4 I like my solia flat iron with floating ceramic plates. It can go up to 500 and it gives a smooth even heat.

AH HA!!! Found a new staple that stopped my shedding and breakage.

Hesh-Amla-Powder-600.jpg

I used one application last night. I mixed the powder with hot water, coconut oil, and a little Babassu Oil. (paste consistency like chocolate cake batter).Someone said mixing it with coconut oil was good for a pre-poo.
I mixed Babassu oil in it because I didn't know what to do with it.

Slapped it on, put a plastic grocery bag and shower cap on my head. Left it on for an hour, rinsed it out and my shedding/breakage immediately diminished.

Amla fo Life!

I had a nice hair pampering day today. This morning I protein pre-pood my hair and scalp with soybean oil. Then shampooed just my scalp with Alaffia Beautiful curls curl enhancing shampoo. I conditioned with argan magic conditioner and dried my hair in a bun saturated with lots of jojoba oil. Now at the end of the day I finger detangled and swept it up into 3, nicely formed Bantu knots. I should have a sleek, happy Bantu knot out tomorrow.

I air dried my hair and was so happy to wear a puff! I'm 3b/c, so I never thought I could get the volume and fullness that I wanted. Also I've always considered my hair kinda thin but it's thickening up so well. I hate to do anything to it now but just revel in the thickness. But it is time for a DC, tea rinse and tomorrow I'm getting my last flat iron of the year. I'm going to get a small trim hopefully about .5 bec I will still be BSL.

I'm comfortable with my stylist now, been there several times. I will never go to someone I don't know and let them put scissors on my hair. That's #1 lesson I learned for 2013...it's crazy some things you just have to learn on your own but never again!!!

image-3832798599.jpg

AH HA!!! Found a new staple that stopped my shedding and breakage. I used one application last night. I mixed the powder with hot water, coconut oil, and a little Babassu Oil. (paste consistency like chocolate cake batter).Someone said mixing it with coconut oil was good for a pre-poo. I mixed Babassu oil in it because I didn't know what to do with it. Slapped it on, put a plastic grocery bag and shower cap on my head. Left it on for an hour, rinsed it out and my shedding/breakage immediately diminished. Amla fo Life!

Thanks I just ordered this.

Back