Want to Get My Hair Braided Need Suggestions....

I decided I wanted to get my hair braided for most of the next three months to keep it protected while following the crown and glory technique. I used to get micros all the time but they broke my hair off because I never cared for them properly. I also read that it is damaging to get braids that are too small??? Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of braids I can get that are flattering and stylish? I though about the kinky twists but I don't think they are my style...they are a little too big. I definitely prefer a a sleeker tighter look. Plus because of my rotations in the hospital I have to be able to pull my hair back from my face and look professional which means I can't wear my hair down. I just haven't tried many new styles in braids...but I'll welcome all suggestions...thanks :look:

Blessed_Angel

You can rock some box braids that are not as small as micro braids. And you can get the human hair, so that when you are not at work, you can wear your hair down, and still look stylish.

Box braids last longer than other styles. And if you're like me who knows how to braid, you can do your own touch-ups in the front, so that it always look like you just got your hair braided.

kally

Welcome to the board. I myself am a big braid fan. Right now as we type I have in Micros. I know they are bad for the hair, but it is the only style I like, because you can do alot with it. I am just real careful and take good care of them.

Yeah I love micros - but I just can't risk messing up my hair anymore :perplexed. I think that box braid suggestion has it's merits though. I have to admit it's annoying having to amend so many of my principles of style for the sake of my hair. And yet if I wanted to rock cornrows which I could do myself I can't because I have to make sure I look professional and the medical school hospital is soooo conservative. It's ridiculous! :nono:

poetist

I was gonna suggest cornrows, but I guess thats not an option. I agree that box braids can be really nice and flaterring. I am also a HUGE fan of twists. Not the kinky twists, but the long senagalese thin twists. Those look HOT and are versatile - you can wear them down, put em in a ponytail aor a high bun...the options are endless.

SexySin985

oohh i just googled an image of those. they are gorgeous!!! We might have a winner with the Senegalese twists!:drunk:

Yes, I second the Sen. Twist. You can check out my Fotki and look at my July pics of when I got them done.

I plan to get my hair braided in March with Sen. twists again.

I love that style:yep:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Twists are great, well at least for me. They are the best decision I ever made. I finally learned how to do them myself.

Holy crap! I wore micros in my hair for the last 6-7 years back to back continuously. My hair was so severely damaged and messed up and I was almost completely bald all along the edges. Of course I definitely didn't know what I know now and I didn't do half the things you're supposed to to take care of your braids. After I removed my braids - this summer I really wanted to learn how to take better care of my hair and this is how my journey began. Thank you for all the welcome's and all the generosity that everyone has displayed on this board. I finally feel like I have a place where people will generally tell the truth about how to take care of your hair without making you feel ignorant in the process.:yawn::yep::spinning::look::drunk:

kellie7777

i do box braids which i braid myself. i used the tutorial from c&g to learn to braid my own hair. i would love to learn how to do the senegalese twists. i really like them.

amwcah

Why don't you just get box braids? With medium size box braids, you can still achieve the styling options you had with the micros depending on the type of hair you use.

I guess it doesn't really matter whether it's box or senagalese I just don't want anything that will put a lot of strain on my hair particularly my edges which I just got back :ohwell:. I don't really know what type of hair to get. I always got human before when I did my micros. I have to say I googled an image of box braids and I really like those too - but they seem a little small. I checked out sexysin985's fotki and I really liked her senegalese twists as well. Which type of hair did you use sexy...do any of you have any suggestions maybe human again?

glamazon386

What about Senegalese Twists? They use synthetic kanekalon hair for those. Only buy human hair if you're getting micros.

Babydall818

I wear box braids all the time (bc i can do it myself) pretty much. I am looking into kinky twists too. see if i can do it myself.
I had micros a few times before and smaller braids but after losing a couple of plugs of hair never again! Plus, it's damaging and takes too long to get it.

I would try the sengalese or box braids.

Here's a pic of my box braids