Want to grow hair, get your internal heat up

sunshinelady

I had extreme coldness before going raw, and that was also one of the main reasons why I resisted going raw. So I started eating raw foods in the summer to make sure I was starting on a good footing because I figured out my body could tolerate it better and would feel stronger by the time the cold weather rolled in.

After 2 years of experimenting with raw foods, I have to say that I am still generally cold, but less so than I was before I started raw foods, and to me this is progress. I am not 100% raw and don't think I will ever be, but I can attest that if you eat the proper raw foods it will not make you colder.

Also, keep in mind that even in Chinese traditional herbology, all foods and herbs are attributed a specific temperature rating ranging from extremely cold to extremely hot, and this is so independent of them being cooked. For instance, ginger is considered a hot food/herb, whether cooked or not. Hot pepper too. Cinnamon too. But mintpeppermint/spearming is considered a cold herb, cooked or not. So, I don't use much mint tea, unless it is in the dead of summer. And I often sprinkle ginger or cinnamon or pepper in my raw smoothies.

Very good to know. I'd been wanted to try raw until I started seeing her. I am going to wait until she gives me the go ahead to do so. My blood type says that I need to be vegan/vegetarian, so I am going to try that at some point. But, at this point, she actually put me on "more meat" because I'm so cold. LOL

Yeah, I don't use mint and I don't use aloe vera anymore because they are cold rated.

I wonder if we can find that chart of cold/hot foods online.

DragonPearl

Very good to know. I'd been wanted to try raw until I started seeing her. I am going to wait until she gives me the go ahead to do so. My blood type says that I need to be vegan/vegetarian, so I am going to try that at some point. But, at this point, she actually put me on "more meat" because I'm so cold. LOL

Yeah, I don't use mint and I don't use aloe vera anymore because they are cold rated.

I wonder if we can find that chart of cold/hot foods online.

The Chinese have entire books on that, :giggle: but here is a good short primer:
http://vegetableadventures.blogspot.com/2006/05/hot-and-cold-foods.html

Cooling Foods

apples
bananas
tomatoes
citrus fruits
watermelon
all leafy greens
broccoli and cauliflower
zuccini
soy milk, tofu and other soy products
mung beans
amaranth
wheat
seaweed
yogurt
peppermint
cilantro
lemon balm

Neutral Foods

rice
rye
corn
peas
lentils
large beans

Warming Foods

ginger root
oats
spelt
quinoa
sesame
nuts
fennel
anise
carob
cumin
all root vegetables
onions
garlic
spicy leafy greens, like jale and mustard greens
eggs
meats

As far as meat, some chinese book say chicken is cold, some say chicken is warm... And I don't take aloe vera internally either, it is too cold for me. Your Chinese acupuncturist is probably giving you some yang tonic formula in order to warm up your body, and it's going to do you good. There is this great herb called He Shou Wu, or Fo-ti which is warming for the body and specifically good for hair too. I need to take it but I am not consistent enough when it comes to take supplements...

Last edited:

DragonPearl

Yeah, she told me the first Chinese medicine book ever written was about coldness syndrome, so it's pretty major.
Dunno about that. I was taught that the first Chinese medicine book ever written was the Huang Di Nei Jing, Classic of the Yellow Emperor.

She is probably talking about the Shan Han Lun, which is the Classic of Cold Difficulties, but that was centuries later after the Huang di Nei Jing.

sunshinelady

Dunno about that. I was taught that the first Chinese medicine book ever written was the Huang Di Nei Jing, Classic of the Yellow Emperor.

She is probably talking about the Shan Han Lun, which is the Classic of Cold Difficulties, but that was centuries later after the Huang di Nei Jing.

I'll ask her about that.

tailormade84

there might be something to this, but honestly, i seen some folks who are ALWAYS cold and they have some of the longest hair i have ever seen....

i'd give more credit to good diet and scalp massage anyday ;)

sunshinelady

there might be something to this, but honestly, i seen some folks who are ALWAYS cold and they have some of the longest hair i have ever seen....

i'd give more credit to good diet and scalp massage anyday ;)

Fast hair growth doesn't equal long hair. You can grow slowly and still retain a lot of hair. :yep: That's why I titled the thread the way I did.

DragonPearl

No wonder I'm so cold, all my favorite foods are on the cold list.

Hehe. There is good heat, and there is toxic heat. The body is always trying to self medicate, so you're probably drawn to cold foods because in spite of having a cold body, you might unfortunately have toxic heat in your body, and you're attracted to cold foods in order to balance that toxic heat. Toxic heat can result from diet of fat/sugary/processed foods and it can manifests as skin pimples, dandruff, cellulite, poor digestion, asthma, phelgm etc... that's why your acupuncturist will have to do a very holistic diagnostic of your body so she can heat up your body while purging you of the toxins.

CICI24

This is probabaly why white and asian people's hair generally grow faster than african americans. They can get one inch per month easier. White people are generally always hot/warm they break out in shorts and flip flops as soon as there is a 60 degree day and we generally are more cold.

Is this why bunning works as well because buns allow the head to retain more warmth than wearing your hair down and loose?

natural2be

This post definetely makes alot of sense as I am naturally cold natured. SO always tells me my hands are cold. My hair definitely grows more, the more I work out and in warmer weather.

natural2be

This is probabaly why white and asian people's hair generally grow faster than african americans. They can get one inch per month easier. White people are generally always hot/warm they break out in shorts and flip flops as soon as there is a 60 degree day and we generally are more cold.

Is this why bunning works as well because buns allow the head to retain more warmth than wearing your hair down and loose?

Good point.

morehairplease

Thanks for sharing OP! I am a cold natured person and have noticed that my hair grows much slower than what it use to. Several times I have mentioned this to my pcp hoping to get some answers but have had no such luck with her.

Casarela

I firmly believe that what OP posted is true. IMHO, I think there is always place for improvement, my hair grows fast already...and in teh summer it does grow like a weed. Therefore, if I pay attention and cover myself up properly from time to time it can only do good= less killer cramps when I have my periods + fast hair growth = 2 thumbs up for me!

:)

SherylsTresses

My hair grows pretty fast. I'm cold natured but exercise a lot. I know for sure the heat helps to seal the products into my hair shaft. It also provides shine and the silkiness. :yep: I discovered this by mistake. I rolled my hair and tied it up one night, got up next morning and exercised, showered and took out my rollers.

It was the most amazing hair texture I've ever had. I incorporated it into my regimen long before I joined any type of hair care forum. My hair loves the self heat. :lick:

sunshinelady

I checked with her. She said that the Cold Difficulties book was the first prescription book in Chinese medicine.

MagnoliaBelle

This is a great thread. I am very cold natured. And my feet tend to get extremely cold when I have the worst cramps so I always wear socks during my cycles. I've never been diagnosed with anemia, but I did have a doctor to tell me once that I had low iron. I've also heard that taking iron can help a person stay warmer. I think that I might try to incorporate Geritol and more teas to warm me up.

Thanks for the great thread and all of the input!

ThePerfectScore

my mom is anemic so she is naturally cold natured, but her hair grows fast. I'm all for Eastern medicine, but I'm still skeptical. But if it works for someone yay for them, but it might just be the placebo effect....

sunshinelady

my mom is anemic so she is naturally cold natured, but her hair grows fast. I'm all for Eastern medicine, but I'm still skeptical. But if it works for someone yay for them, but it might just be the placebo effect....

Anemia is not related to coldness syndrome. It's a different issue.

ThePerfectScore

Anemia is not related to coldness syndrome. It's a different issue.

She has Anemia due to low blood levels of iron. "Cold intolerance occurs in one in five patients with iron deficiency anemia, and becomes visible through numbness and tingling."

Signs and symptoms vary depending on the cause of your anemia, but may include:

• Fatigue
  • Pale skin
  • A fast or irregular heartbeat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Dizziness
  • Cognitive problems
  • Cold hands and feet
  • Headache
Straight from the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321/DSECTION=symptoms

Signs of anemia:

* Difficulty concentrating and remembering
* Feeling tired and having less energy most of the time
* Feeling dizzy, lightheaded or possibly having a headache
* Being short of breath, or breathless after very little activity
* Pale skin colour, pale lips and fingernail beds
* Pain in the chest, fluttery feeling from your heart
* Ringing or pounding in the ears
* Very sensitive to cold temperature, feeling cold when others do not
* Sore mouth or tongue
* Poor appetite
* Less interest in social pleasure
* Feeling down, or irritable

From the London Health Sciences Center
http://www.lhsc.on.ca/Patients_Families_Visitors/LRCP/Managing_Side_Effects/Anemia.htm

Low red blood cell count (anemia). While anemia can cause a person to feel colder than other people in the same room, it would be unusual for it to cause the extreme cold feeling you describe. Again, it's easy to check for anemia with a simple blood test.

from MSN Health http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100236541

So perhaps I misunderstood what this Coldness Syndrome is all about.....

Last edited:

ADB

I'm cold natured during the day but at night when I go to sleep I am hot like a furnace. :blush:

sunshinelady

So perhaps I misunderstood what this Coldness Syndrome is all about.....

No prob. Yep, anemia would definitely make you feel cold, but it is different than coldness syndrome. When my chinese med doc diagnosed me, the first thing I asked her is if I was anemic, she said no.

golden1

I guess this is why hair grows faster in the summer and partly why cayenne pepper works.

I have been taking cayenne internally for something unrelated to hair but I have noticed that my hair growth has TAKEN OFF

I take a few teaspoons spread out throughout the day spaced evenly out in water

complexsimplicity

I agree w/ the evolution theory someone stated earlier. Black people r more cold natured bc of where our ancestors lived. One thing I do know is that white people or people w/ less melanin have more vitamin d than people w/ lots of melanin. That's what keeps them warm all the time. Maybe we could start taking a vitamin d supplement? I'll do some research on this and post back later.
ETA. I'm back. Had a revelation. So it seems vitamin D needs ultraviolet light (sun) to be activated in our skin so to speak. Being that I'm black I already have less vitamin d than white folk so it really doesn't help that I'm a complete hermit!! Having a vitamin d deficiency causes hair loss. I've been having trouble w/ my edges for the longest. Got tested for anemia and I have it so I've been taking iron. No change in my hair. I think I have a vitamin d deficiency. Ever since my SO got deployed I don't go anywhere but to work and back. Not being in the sun has been my problem this whole time!!! Of course too much sun is bad but I haven't been getting enough! I'm definitely going to start taking vitamin d and see if I notice a change. I love this forum. I learn so much!!

Last edited:

crazydaze911

I guess this is why hair grows faster in the summer and partly why cayenne pepper works.

I have been taking cayenne internally for something unrelated to hair but I have noticed that my hair growth has TAKEN OFF

OMG - i just started taking this and i think i have to stop. my stomach was on FIRE like 10 minutes after taking it and i had a headache. do you have this problem or is it just me? i also cannot take MSM or extra biotin b/c i get headaches from those too.... but they dont light my stomach on fire like the cayenne did - lol.

sunshinelady

I agree w/ the evolution theory someone stated earlier. Black people r more cold natured bc of where our ancestors lived. One thing I do know is that white people or people w/ less melanin have more vitamin d than people w/ lots of melanin. That's what keeps them warm all the time. Maybe we could start taking a vitamin d supplement? I'll do some research on this and post back later.
ETA. I'm back. Had a revelation. So it seems vitamin D needs ultraviolet light (sun) to be activated in our skin so to speak. Being that I'm black I already have less vitamin d than white folk so it really doesn't help that I'm a complete hermit!! Having a vitamin d deficiency causes hair loss. I've been having trouble w/ my edges for the longest. Got tested for anemia and I have it so I've been taking iron. No change in my hair. I think I have a vitamin d deficiency. Ever since my SO got deployed I don't go anywhere but to work and back. Not being in the sun has been my problem this whole time!!! Of course too much sun is bad but I haven't been getting enough! I'm definitely going to start taking vitamin d and see if I notice a change. I love this forum. I learn so much!!

Yeah, I read an article some years ago that said Black people need to be in the sun for at least 1 hour each day in order to get adequate Vitamin D. Whites only need 30 mins. I don't get nearly enough.

morehairplease

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking what cayenne brand you are taking?

tia,
tishee