Want to relax after 1 year not relaxing

Monaleezza

I've hidden my hair in weaves for over 12 months. I never relaxed between weaves although I never had any intentions of going natural.

Now I plan to relax do I need to chop the old relaxer off? Relax to the line? If I texlax will I cause more or less stress?

Help! Need tips & advice! 2012 is almost upon me.

blessedandlucky

Not sure about the textlax part of your question, but relax the new growth only. No need to cut off your previously relaxed hair unless it is damaged or needs to be trimmed. A year of growth? Please take and post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SuchaLady

I cant wait to see your pictures! I want to try this for 2012. Idk if Im going to make it a full year though lol

HisBestFriend

I am so glad you posted this question. I am doing the same thing! I have no intentions of going natural but I've gone without a relaxer for quite some time.

When I first started I figured I'd relax my hair in a few months but so far I'm digging the heathly natural hair. Unlike you, I have already started trimming away my relaxed hair. It was tangly and I'm not convinced it was healthy. I "intend" to stay under the wig/weave for at least two years. I am hoping that I make it because if not I'm going to be HOT that I cut off so much of my hair.

Good luck and TAKE PICS!

Monaleezza

Thanks ladies. I was worried that I've left it sooooo long it no longer qualifies as a "stretch", and would all fall out once it was relaxed.
But this sounds like good advice. Wish me luck.
Pics to follow.

lustrous

just a note if you haven't already relaxed yet - be sure to have enough relaxer. If you have 4-6 inches of new growth, a standard box kit my not be enough. you may have to purchase two. Running out midway would be at worst terrible and at best- leave you with underprocessed hair. Good luck and congrats on such a long stretch =)

Monaleezza

just a note if you haven't already relaxed yet - be sure to have enough relaxer. If you have 4-6 inches of new growth, a standard box kit my not be enough. you may have to purchase two. Running out midway would be at worst terrible and at best- leave you with underprocessed hair. Good luck and congrats on such a long stretch =)

That's good advice! Thanks.
I'm planning on going to the hair salon so that shouldn't be an issue, no doubt I expect I'll be charged for more for having more hair to perm!

Imagine being punished for having long luscious hair! The cheek of it!! Lol

hothair

Wow a 52 week stretch. Well relax to the dermacation line (perhaps coat previously relaxed hair with conditioner). Do a protein treatment a week to the relaxer (though I do mine 2 weeks later).

I don't see any reason you can't texlax unless the previous hair is bone straight? In which case you can texlax the new growth and gradually trim the ends if that's what you want.

Monaleezza

Monaleezza

Did you relax yet? Any pics? ;)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Thanks for checking. I'm currently still in my weave. I posted this just before going back under the weave when I realised just how much natural hair I had, which was never on my agenda.

I must say, I'm nervous to relax. But will definitely post some before and after pics when I do.