Warning Against Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (PIC heavy)

Softerlove

Hi!,

Facts:
Hair in 8 sections
Detangle with Neurtogena Triple Silk leave in
Pre-poo with grape-seed oil and Olive 45mins
DC with L'Occitsne Mask 1.5 hrs
Roux porosity Control conditioner & Corrector/Mix with Condish 30 sec
Everything rinsed out then:
Final Conditioner rinse Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

I am 13 weeks post on relaxed/texlaxed hair
Low Manipulation/Bun

Result:
Everything was okay, until Kenra MC touched my hair. It felt like someone poured a chelating shampoo and put dreds in my hair. My hair tangled and matted.

I tried in in 3 thin sections and my hair fell out, in clumps. What didn't fall out, tangled badly and eventually came out.

I used Aussie 3 min moiste and finished detagleling the other 5 sections, but the damage was done. My hair was horribly matted and tangled.

I have emailed Ulta (where I purchased it today) and Kenra with pictures and complaints.

So, please if you newly purchased it & are going to use this, spot test it. I bought mine from ULTA in Queens,NY today...It is going back tomorrow AM.

Give me a sec to add pics:nono::nono:

Resized!

Last edited:

silenttullip

Sorry about what happened to you. I'm sure you'll recover. Do you think it happened because of all the conditioning done before it? I know certain ingredients in certain conditioners don't behave well with one another or do you think you got a bad batch?
thanks for letting us know about this. I'm so sorry it happened. I just had a tangly experience with Creme of Nature Argan Oil :( for anyone who doesn't know it's a protein conditioner at least it feels like one. Reminded me of aphogee 2 step except not quite as hardening :(. Smh sometimes its so hard to even try a product cause it can really set us back. I followed with vo5 free me freesia and evoo to give me moisture back.
How is your hair feeling now after the Aussie?

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
oh my gawd!!! Your hair fell out in sections when you applied it or did you lose hair WHILE detangling the matted sections?

My hair matted and tangled so bad once with a heat protectant by Nexxus ProMend line. I had to wait until my hair was completely dry and then use my fingers to slide the hair gently through the matted parts by pulling upward and not downward towards the knots and tangles. I lost little to known when I detangled that way. If I had detangled while my hair was wet, I would've lost all my hair. I"m glad you wrote a letter though. That would've been the first thing I did also. I'm so sorry. :(

Softerlove

Sorry for the massive Pics!!

The only thing new was the KENRA, everything else I've had since three-four months ago or longer.

My hair is a mess in the sections I detagled soley with the Kenra, the Aussie sections are okay.

PPGbubbles

Im sorry this happened OP

but its hard to know if it was the Kenra that did you or if it was the final straw with the combo of products you used. :nono:

I am wishing you much success in nursing your hair back to health

You know what.... I had something similar happen a few years back and I was using Kenra, but it was after a professionally done relaxer.... I thought it was the application process but now I wonder was it the Kenra. It happened when she rinsed me and was conditioning. She ran a comb through my hair and it just separated and pulled out like wet, shed dog fur. NEVER AGAIN with the Kenra or stylist (just in case). By chance do you use Mizani butter blend relaxer. I don't think it was that but I am curious.

Theresamonet

So sorry this happened to you!

But honestly, your routine is so convoluted it's hard to say whether it was Kenra's fault or was it just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not sure why you needed the Kenra after deep conditioning for 1.5 hours and using PC anyway. It may have been the Kenra or all of those ingredient/chemicals may not have played well together. Conditioners are typically meant to be use alone as a final step.

Next time you are trying out a new product, use that product on it's own for a while so you can see how it does with your hair...And there will be no doubt that it was that product that did you harm.

Btw, I've used that Kenra product before with no problem.

Softerlove

Sorry about what happened to you. I know certain ingredients in certain conditioners don't behave well with one another or do you think you got a bad batch?
thanks for letting us know about this.

Thank you! Yep, I think I did too much.

oh my gawd!!! Your hair fell out in sections when you applied it or did you lose hair WHILE detangling the matted sections? :(

Everything was rinsed out of my hair and then I added the Kenra, it automatically tangled

Im sorry this happened OP

but its hard to know if it was the Kenra that did you or if it was the final straw with the combo of products you used. :nono:

I am wishing you much success in nursing your hair back to health

Thank you, I think the Kenra was the final straw.

Why did you use so many things together???

It is my usual routine, I hardly loose any hair with this, the Kenra was the only thing new. Thanks

You know what.... I had something similar happen a few years back and I was using Kenra, but it was after a professionally done relaxer.... I thought it was the application process but now I wonder was it the Kenra. It happened when she rinsed me and was conditioning. She ran a comb through my hair and it just separated and pulled out like wet, shed dog fur. NEVER AGAIN with the Kenra or stylist (just in case). By chance do you use Mizani butter blend relaxer. I don't think it was that but I am curious.

No, i use Alter ego. Thank you though.

So sorry this happened to you!

But honestly, your routine is so convoluted it's hard to say whether it was Kenra's fault or was it just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not sure why you needed the Kenra after deep conditioning for 1.5 hours and using PC anyway. It may have been the Kenra or all of those ingredient/chemicals may not have played well together. Conditioners are typically meant to be use alone as a final step.

Next time you are trying out a new product, use that product on it's own for a while so you can see how it does with your hair...And there will be no doubt that it was that product that did you harm.

Btw, I've used that Kenra product before with no problem.

Thanks! Im not taking the risk though, its going back to ULTA. As I mentioned before, I don't know if it was too much or just the final straw. I am happy it worked for you though.

So, I'm@ setback central, this stinks, but its just hair right?

I fully detangled partially dry with NTM and argan oil...Kenra sections :nono::nono:

But it is a learning lesson:yep: Thank you everyone for your responses.

Softerlove

Was this your first time using Kenra ever?

I have used their clarifying product in the past 2 months. I usually use Joico. I had read a couple of reviews on LHCF of the amazing slip it gives, so that is why i tried it, just to detangle. I rinsed out my other product and applied it to my hair, it tangled my hair from the bottom up, my relaxed ends are what really tangled and once it touched my roots it was all over.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Kenra is a staple for me and I find that it works best with a simple, cone free regi. I also find it does not work well on hair with a lot of buildup. Clarifying during the same session as using Kenra may work best. My first time using Kenra didn't go great until I clarified. Now that I am cone free, I can use it anytime without clarifying. It great for steaming also.

HTH!

Sent from my DROIDX

empressri

I wonder if the other stuff had coated on your hair and that's why the kenra made your hair feel matted. I think there are cones in NTM and the l'occitane, can't speak on the kenra cause I never read the ingredients.

Then if it sort of congealed on top of your hair it made it harder to comb through and made more hair come out.

I'm trying to throw some theories out there so it doesn't happen again! A friend used wen and she had even more hair than you did come out and she was like oh helll no and she sent that stuff right back.

I'd be all :sad:about having that much hair come out at once too.

southerncitygirl

i think there were cones in most of the stuff you used and why did you use so many types of conditioner? i thought kenra was a dc but you used l'occitane as well. always remember less is more. you should clarify at least once a month.