WARNING Carrot Juice Drinkers...

kitchen_tician

*****Update 10/3/06*****
It looks like there's an official nationwide recall on the Bolthouse carrot juice. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9990328/detail.html
Here's Bolthouse's site: http://www.bolthouse.com/consumer_home.html

I decided to post this here, since so many use it for hair health. Sorry if it's been posted already and I'm not sure if this is only for Georgia or not. I drink this specific brand. :ohwell:

DATE: September 18, 2006

RE: Outbreak of Botulinum Toxin Associated with Bottled Carrot Juice

The DeKalb County Board of Health has been informed that a commercial beverage has been confirmed as the cause of a cluster of three botulism cases in Georgia. Three patients experienced symptoms after consuming a common meal that included commercially produced carrot juice.
The label on the implicated bottle of carrot juice reads “Bolthouse Farms, Bakersfield, California, 100% carrot juice.” The investigation is ongoing. Please report any suspected cases to the Board of Health.

You may also visit http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/botulism_g.htm for more information on botulism.

Last edited:
Wow, and to think I used to drink this stuff like everyday. Thanks goodness I slacked off a while ago. And I am not usual happy about slacking. :ohwell:

I usually eat baby carrots and not drink the juice. Sure is alot of recalls of health foods lately.:ohwell:

Thanks KT! I was just in Kroger yesterday and was about to purchase this juice, but I put it back. Thank God I did!

I read more about this and the problem seems to be that the carrot juice that got those people sick was not properly refrigerated. It's very important to refrigerate that stuff. But I guess not everyone knows that. :(

Thanx for the info! I was gonna resume drinking this brand carrot juice after stopping months ago. I'm glad I didn't buy it.... :ohwell:

kitchen_tician said:
I decided to post this here, since so many use it for hair health. Sorry if it's been posted already and I'm not sure if this is only for Georgia or not. I drink this specific brand. :ohwell:

DATE: September 18, 2006

RE: Outbreak of Botulinum Toxin Associated with Bottled Carrot Juice

The DeKalb County Board of Health has been informed that a commercial beverage has been confirmed as the cause of a cluster of three botulism cases in Georgia. Three patients experienced symptoms after consuming a common meal that included commercially produced carrot juice.
The label on the implicated bottle of carrot juice reads “Bolthouse Farms, Bakersfield, California, 100% carrot juice.” The investigation is ongoing. Please report any suspected cases to the Board of Health.

You may also visit http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/botulism_g.htm for more information on botulism.

eating a lot of carrots raw can be bad to. Years ago I got Beta Carotine poisoning. I ws consumming a least half a bag a day.

I know this is serious, but it seems like soon the only safe food will be junk food, since it's full of so many preservatives. That's a shame.
( Off to get some chocolate)

So is the problem with the CARROT JUICE ITSELF OR because people are not keeping it REFRIGERATED AND DRINKING IT? I would like to know before I start dumping mine. If the latter, that would happen with any product that should be refrigerated. bonjour

punchinella said:
I know this is serious, but it seems like soon the only safe food will be junk food, since it's full of so many preservatives. That's a shame.
Get outta my head...I was thinking nothing is going to happen if I eat that 20pack of nestle choc chip cookies:lol:

Wow! I drink this brand too. Luckily I had the carrot juice several weeks ago, but I have had the green juice recently by the same brand. I hope the green juice does not cause any problems!

Oh wow, I am wondering about the green juice cuz that's the one I drink!! But I started back juicing anyway, because I can't stand the tatse of carrot juice when it has set for more than a minute...really there is no reason to mess with it then anyway, because the enzymes are basically dead...

ROFL, sad but true... :eek:

punchinella said:

Mahalialee4 said:
So is the problem with the CARROT JUICE ITSELF OR because people are not keeping it REFRIGERATED AND DRINKING IT? I would like to know before I start dumping mine. If the latter, that would happen with any product that should be refrigerated. bonjour

Bolthouse Farms likely not at fault
BY EMILY HAGEDORN, Californian staff writer | Monday, Sep 18 2006 10:25 PM

Last Updated: Monday, Sep 18 2006 10:29 PM

e-mail: [email protected]

Three people in Georgia have been diagnosed with an apparently isolated case of botulism -- a rare illness that can cause paralysis and death -- after drinking carrot juice produced by Bakersfield's Bolthouse Farms.

The infection is being blamed on improper refrigeration of the juice, not on the farm, said Dr. Boyce Dulan, deputy health officer and director of disease control for Kern County Department of Public Health.

These cases appear to be isolated considering other people who drank from the same batch have not become ill. This could also mean that the botulism toxin wasn't present in the juice before it was sold, according to a statement by the Georgia Department of Human Resources, which oversees the state health department.

"If the bug is in the jug and it's nowhere else then it's clear that it's customer error," Dulan said.

A thorough investigation was conducted, and several samples of carrot juice were immediately tested by the Food and Drug Administration, said Bryan Reese, spokesman for Bolthouse Farms, a family owned grower that ships more than 35,000 tons of carrot products each month.

"All samples were shown to be absent of any pathogens or toxins," Reese said. "We completely concur with the FDA's guidance to ensure that carrot juice, like other low-acid food products, is kept refrigerated at all times."

The three people, who are from Washington County, Ga., said the carrot juice "did not taste right" and began showing symptoms on Sept. 8, according to the Georgia Department of Human Resources. They are being treated at area hospitals.

Botulism is a disease caused by a bacteria found in the soil, Dulan said. It affects about 110 people a year in the United States, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Symptoms include double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness, the CDC says.

In foodborne botulism, symptoms usually appear 18 to 36 hours after eating the contaminated food.

Consumers need to read and follow instructions on food labeling, said Kirt Emery, assistant director of disease control at Kern County Public Health. Food producers aren't "giving you something sterile and you have no responsibility to do anything to protect your health," he said.

Furthermore, residents need to make sure refrigerators are kept below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and freezers are kept below zero, by testing with a thermometer, Dulan said.

Source: http://www.bakersfield.com/

Thanks Cichelle! I was just looking for an update! Well it looks like it's safe to drink. But it's a good reminder to keep it in the fridge. :fat:

Well, it looks like there's an official recall for Bolthouse Farms Carrot Juice. :ohwell: I only have a couple of bottles of the green juice. I guess I'll throw that out too. Thanks Lierin for the heads up.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9990328/detail.html
Carrot Juice Recalled; May Cause Botulism

POSTED: 10:52 am EDT October 3, 2006

ATLANTA -- A recall has been issued for carrot juice that may lead to botulism, a potentially fatal food poisoning.

Three cases of botulism in Georgia have been linked to the juice.

The recalled juice is distributed in all 50 states under the names Bolthouse Farms 100-percent Carrot Juice, Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot Juice and President's Choice 100-percent Pure Carrot Juice.

"Discard the carrot juice if you have it," said Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin

You can call 1-800-SAFE-FOOD for more information.

Here's Bolthouse's website: http://www.bolthouse.com/consumer_home.html

Last edited:
This is a voluntary recall. The issue here is improperly refrigerated carrot juice. You are not safe just because you didn't buy that particular brand. Even if you make your own, you need to drink it right away or refrigerate it properly. No, I don't work for Bolthouse Farms. ;) Just want to make sure people understand the importance of refrigerating ANY carrot juice.

My comment: What's with the term "temperature abused"? Is that an industry or scientific term?

Bolding and italics are mine.

BOLTHOUSE FARMS ISSUES VOLUNTARY RECALL FOR 100% CARROT JUICE
As a precautionary measure, following incidents involving two bottles of temperature abused 100% Carrot Juice, Wm. Bolthouse Farms of Bakersfield, CA is recalling 100% Carrot Juice. Carrot juice has the
potential, if left unrefrigerated, to develop botulism, an illness which can be lifethreatening.

Proper refrigeration is generally achieved at or below 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

All Bolthouse Farms processing facilities have been examined closely by internal auditors and the FDA, and have been found to be in compliance will all appropriate controlling regulations. In addition, samples from suspect lots have been examined by the FDA, and all samples have been found to be toxin free. These results clearly indicate a likely link between consumer temperature abuse and the development of botulinum toxin.

Consistent with this record of compliance, Bolthouse Farms remains committed to the health and safety of its consumers. This voluntary recall serves as an effort to demonstrate our commitment to providing
the safest product possible, regardless of consumer mishandling.

100% Carrot Juice is distributed to all 50 states, Mexico & Canada through retail stores, and is labeled as follows:
“Bolthouse Farms 100% Carrot Juice”, sold in both 1 liter and 450 milliliter sizes

“Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot Juice”, sold in both 1 liter and 450 milliliter sizes

“President’s Choice Organics 100% Pure Carrot Juice” sold in both 1 liter and 450 milliliter sizes.
Use by dates up to and including 11Nov06 are subject to this recall
To date, four people have become ill after consuming what were most likely improperly refrigerated bottles of carrot juice. The incidents involved one liter bottle of carrot juice with a use by date of 18SEP06, and one 450 milliliter bottle of carrot juice with a use by date of 19SEP06. These incidents were reported in Georgia and Florida.

Carrot juice, like other low acid products, must be kept refrigerated to ensure product safety. Properly refrigerated carrot juice poses no risk to consumer health. However, all fresh carrot juice (regardless of manufacturer or brand) has the potential to harbor Botulism if improperly refrigerated or exposed to
elevated temperatures for extended periods of time.

Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, doublevision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms. People
experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.
Consumers or retailers who feel the temperature control of their carrot juice may have been compromised are encouraged not to consume the product. If there is any question as to the refrigeration state of any carrot juice product, consumers and retailers are advised to discard the product.

Bolthouse Farms remains actively concerned about the health of its consumers, and the proper handling of its products. In light of recent concerns regarding potential risk associated with consumer
mishandling of carrot juice, Bolthouse will immediately undertake the industry leading step of modifying its processing to mitigate the potential risk associated with consumer temperature abuse of carrot juice.
Consumers who have concerns or questions about juice safety are encouraged to call the FDA at 1888SAFEFOOD,
or Wm. Bolthouse Farms at (661) 3667205.

Wanted to bump this up because there are two more cases of this in Canada. At this point Bolthouse Farms carrot juice should not even be available anymore, as the company recalled all of it. But apparently it was still at some stores in Canada.

I have a friend who is very involved in biotechnology. She suspects something "funny" going on here especially since the FDA could not find evidence of the toxins at the source. Let's hope that's not the case.

I drink the Bolthouse Farms Brand juices and I'm fine. IMHO,I think refrigeration is the problem with these isolated cases.

Back