Was Christ talked about in your home growing up?

inthepink

On this forum, we talk about how Christ is involved in our daily decisions and how we want to seek him in our daily decisions - big or small. We want to know what Christ thinks first.

I'm wondering if growing up, did your parents talk to you about God? If you had an issue going on at school, did your mother tell you what to do based on Christ? Did they remind you pray about an issue? Did they pray with you?

Did your parents actively bring Christ into your life as a child/teenager?

The reason I ask is that I don't think so for me. Yes, my parents sent me to Catholic school for 8 years. Yes, they took me to church with them till I was 18 and said no more. (That's part of my testimony so I won't go into that long story!) But at home it was grace on holidays and that was pretty much it. Or maybe a cliche' like "God doesn't like that."

What were your experiences? Do you think it affected you in some way or another? Please share.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Nope. :nono:

We were sent to Catholic schools as well, but it wasn't something that my mother talked about. I was the one who wanted to convert to Catholicism, and so we did, and when I did become "saved" my freshman year of high school it actually brought a sword of division between my mother and I. It was not good at all and she resented it, even though I don't think she realized that she did.

chicacanella

Unfortunately, in my home we did go to church and new God religiously but not in the way that we should have. I mean, there was nothing of the sort of God talking to us and us knowing that it was God. At night, I would say, "Our father" and also, "Now I lay me..." but there was no real fatherly relationship. We just knew God as God.

We didn't have bible study or worship or even really pray together. I can't blame my Mom because she really didn't know. I believe that Godliness has to be taught in some way which is why the body of Christ has teachers. If children are raised and know straight out of the womb that "this is how we worship God"; this is how we praise Him; this is how we approach the throne of grace and pray; then when life's problems arise they will know from jump that regardless of what I see; I know a God that is bigger.

Hotmommak

I grew up in a Catholic, but not very religious, family. My mother was searching for most of my life b/c she knew there was more, so until 2nd grade, I went to Catechism every Saturday, had my first confession and first communion. After that, we occasionally visited churches along the way. My mother didn't really talk about God, but I remember seeing her read her bible. And I also remember the Jehova's Witnesses would come to our house a lot when I was little. When I was in like 6th grade, she watched a lot of evangelical programing...still searching! In jr. high, I started going to church with a friend of mine. The van would pick us up, which was great b/c my dad had us every other weekend and was not thinking about church at all! I think, even though I had a lot to learn, this was the point in my life that I felt closest to Christ.

In high school we started going to a "holiness/apostolic" church. I learned a great deal about the bible and "church folk". I think that's the bulk of my problem now. I'm so afraid of being in the same situation again that I am afraid to find a church home, but that's another thread, so I'll leave that alone!

Well in my family we went to church since i could remember until about the age of 13 with my mother and siblings and then later from 15-19 with my grandmother. I knew who christ was because both parents taught me about the bible, and got me a bible by age 7 to read on my own. They did not stay together or live dedicated christian lives throughout my childhood, but they provided me with enough to let me know his reality and besides that i have a spiritual grandmother and praying family on both sides. As an adult i choose to be a christian.

inthepink

You know, now that I think about it, it's really just a matter of how families are all around.

For example, if you come from a family where you mother talked to you about your period, or your parents talked to you about sex, my guess is that your parents talked to you about God.

In my case, no my mother did not talk to me about my period. My parents did not talk to me about sex. So, I guess they also left God up to school too. Sure, I had a children's bible and knew the bible stories but it was nothing discussed with my parents.

I plan to be a lot different. I don't "blame" my parents for anything. Whenever I think about things I wish I had gotten as a child, I remind myself that more than likely, they did the best they knew. And as the saying goes, when you know better, you do better. So, that's what I plan for my children. I know better so I plan to do better!

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
^^^That's interesting. Yeah, I think my mom's policy was always that we *could* talk to her about anything, but she didn't really broach many subjects with up. Sometimes she would give me a book to read. I'm glad you mentioned that, because I never really felt like my mother (and def. not father) took much initiative in the shaping of my character, but I think that my mom did what she thought was best.

Ramya

Not really. As I got older I witnessed my parents jumping from church to church/ religion to religion but there was never a discussion about it. I began to attend a Baptist church when I was in high school which I guess was acceptable as they never discussed it with me but I only went because my friends went. I honestly didn't know a lot about God or that I could 'apply' the principles from the Bible until I was an adult.

Hotmommak

Hairlove, I think you're right! My mom was very open with us growing up. We talked about sex, periods, etc. She told me that my grandmother was not open with her and did not discuss these things. Her answer was much like yours. She didn't want her children to grow up the same way. Even though she was open with me, and told me that I could come to her with anything, I still allowed fear to keep me from telling her things.

Misshairdiva

My mom talked about God and my parents took me to church. But, I think parents have to do MORE than just TALK about God. They have to show the love of God and teach kids about having a personal relationship with God! My parents took me to church, my dad was a leader of the boys ministry and my mom a Sunday school teacher. But, I still felt that God was high above in heaven, not in our hearts. They did not make God seem very personal at all. I would say my prayers before I went to sleep, and it was the "now I lay me" prayer. I would say grace before I ate, the "God is good God is great" prayer and my parents would have me memorize scripture but I still didn't have a clue of who God really was. All those years of going to church with my parents and I didnt' have a personal relationship with God until I was 25 and went to a church that I liked and started to grow and learn. I do plan on having two more kids, and I will definatly teach my kids that having a personal relationship with God is more than reciting a memorized grace or prayer or just attending church on Sundays.

inthepink

My mom talked about God and my parents took me to church. But, I think parents have to do MORE than just TALK about God. They have to show the love of God and teach kids about having a personal relationship with God! My parents took me to church, my dad was a leader of the boys ministry and my mom a Sunday school teacher. But, I still felt that God was high above in heaven, not in our hearts. They did not make God seem very personal at all. I would say my prayers before I went to sleep, and it was the "now I lay me" prayer. I would say grace before I ate, the "God is good God is great" prayer and my parents would have me memorize scripture but I still didn't have a clue of who God really was. All those years of going to church with my parents and I didnt' have a personal relationship with God until I was 25 and went to a church that I liked and started to grow and learn. I do plan on having two more kids, and I will definatly teach my kids that having a personal relationship with God is more than reciting a memorized grace or prayer or just attending church on Sundays.

My experience pretty much mimics yours except my parents were not involved in ministry. (My dad had to be dragged to church just like me.)

And that's exactly what I mean, I believed in God but I far from had a relationship with God.

The most "talking" we got was that now-I-lay-me-down prayer. When I say talking - I do mean all encompassing - helping your child build a relationship with God by talking about God in daily life as well as helping your child to live a life that glorifies God. The other stuff doesn't really mean anything.

Why do you think your parents didn't talk about God in your household? Do you think they assumed that since you were a child of people in the ministry, that you just "got" it and didn't need anything more? Do you think they had left it up to church?

I think my parents just left it up to church. First, I have to preface that I am not even sure at the time if my parents had a relationship with God. My mother - possibly then (today, yes). My father - probably not. So, I think my mother had good intentions in thinking that if she sent us to church, it would just all sink in and her job was done. But all I heard was a screaming pastor - I had no idea what he was saying. :nono:

As I mentioned earlier - I think parents don't only do this in regards to church but also in matters of sex. They leave schools to educate their child on things they should be educating them on (or at least in addition to.)

Everyone's experiences are really interesting.

momi

On this forum, we talk about how Christ is involved in our daily decisions and how we want to seek him in our daily decisions - big or small. We want to know what Christ thinks first.

I'm wondering if growing up, did your parents talk to you about God? If you had an issue going on at school, did your mother tell you what to do based on Christ? Did they remind you pray about an issue? Did they pray with you?

Did your parents actively bring Christ into your life as a child/teenager?

The reason I ask is that I don't think so for me. Yes, my parents sent me to Catholic school for 8 years. Yes, they took me to church with them till I was 18 and said no more. (That's part of my testimony so I won't go into that long story!) But at home it was grace on holidays and that was pretty much it. Or maybe a cliche' like "God doesn't like that."

What were your experiences? Do you think it affected you in some way or another? Please share.

The question for me would be - what else was talked about in your home - besides Christ??? :lachen:

I got it from every angle - both grandparents, my parents... aunties etc. I live in the bible belt so that probably has a bit to do with my upbringing.

Anyway... as soon as I turned 18 I ran as faaarrrr away from the church as I could. It was discussed to much that I did not take the church let alone Christ and my salvation seriously. It was not until about 5 years later that I found The Lord again. I threw out all I'd learned as a child and rebuilt my faith (still working on that by the way!) :yep:

divya

Christ was uplifted in my house growing up - His love, character, and principles. Daily prayer and study were treated as essential. In my younger years, my parents would read us Bible stories and do the weekly Sabbath school lesson with us. And the studies became deeper with age.

On Friday nights, we would have family worship to open the Sabbath. We’d sing, pray and read from the Scriptures and/or other Christian books. Discussion and questions were encouraged. We would attend church Sabbath morning and participate in activities. To close the Sabbath, we would also worship together as a family or with other families.

I am very thankful to God for my parents. Both came from mixed religious backgrounds, and they really embraced the Christian message. They were and still are very dedicated to the Lord, and it is evident that their love for God has kept our family together. So the impact that my upbringing has had on me is great. I know that the foundation laid is what brought me back to Christ when I fell away. Both my fiancé and I want the same upbringing that we have had for our future children. I love the Lord for who He is and what He has done for us. His way is better than any other.

On another note, my parents were *open* to a certain extent when it comes to other topics. They had a somewhat traditional "West Indian" approach to certain things...

Last edited: