Votes: 38 80.9%
  • NO!

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • UNSURE!!

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

cocoberry10

Hello Ladies:

This is a conversation topic that has come up in my conversations with both believers and non-believers on more than one occasion.

I will give my thoughts on the topic later.

My question is: Was Jesus perfect?

And either way you answer this question, what is a part of "perfection" (meaning, for example, do you believe Jesus never got angry, never gave into sin, etc.)

I want this thread to stay civil:whip::yep:

secretdiamond

You know, I always felt guilty for wondering this myself. But I am compelled to say yes, since I believe in Him. Yet, a small part of me wonders what exactly happened in the years between his birth and adulthood leading to his crucifixion.

Ms.Honey

The bible says that God did some things in His wrath and it also says be angry but sin not. Jesus became angry and overturned the money changers table when they we're cheating folks in God's house. You can be angry and not sin.

Yes, He is perfect. I'm sure He got some little spankings as a kid though :grin::grin::grin:

mango387

I have not found/heard concrete evidence that He actually sinned; therefore, that makes Him perfect to me. He did get angry and experience sorrow, BUT those are not sins.

PaperClip

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in His EARTHLY body by His SINLESS life.

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in His RESURRECTED body by...His resurrected body!

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in his GLORIFIED body when He ascended into Heaven...sitteth at the right hand of The Father.

Ooohh!!! Speak Holy Spirit! I can't take any glory for this post!

ETA: I concur w/mango387 re. anger... it is not sinful to get angry.

cocoberry10

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in His EARTHLY body by His SINLESS life.

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in His RESURRECTED body by...His resurrected body!

I believe the Lord achieved perfection in his GLORIFIED body when He ascended into Heaven...sitteth at the right hand of The Father.

Ooohh!!! Speak Holy Spirit! I can't take any glory for this post!

ETA: I concur w/mango387 re. anger... it is not sinful to get angry.

Thank you FoxyScholar and Holy Spirit for this post:kiss::yep:

BTW, I love the new screename! It's very becoming:yep:

Beauty4Ashes

Jesus told us to "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect." (Matt 5:48)

Not only is Jesus perfect we are called to be perfect...

Perfection is not defined without Christ for we have nothing to measure it against without Him

Just like Holy is not defined without God for He is Holy. You would never ask is God Holy because He defines what Holy is

*God, Son, Holyghost = Trinity

Sui Topi

If he was not perfect, then he would not be adequate as a sacrifice for all of our sins. Those who said no, take that into consideration. He had to be perfect or else there would be no point.

I also agree, there is nothing wrong with being angry as long as it is for the right reasons and the right way. When you see people suffering injustice....GET ANGRY, when you see God being disrespected....GET ANGRY, etc..

HeChangedMyName

I said yes. Although he did get angy, frustrated, sad, etc he used those emotions constructively and directed them at the source of the feelings and not at anyone else. For example when he ran up in the temple and threw those table over he was angry because people were disrespecting his father's house and he directed his anger at them. When he got frustrated at the apostle for sleeping on the night he was captured. He directed his frustration at them, because all he asked them to do was to stay awake and pray. When he was saddened by the actions of his crucifiers, he asked God to forgive them, he didn't let it throw him off from his purpose. When he experienced the fear of his coming death. He asked God specifically, why he was foresaken. He didn't just let the fear consume him, if he had, then he would not have submitted and died. He would have jumped down off that cross with the quickness.

So, yes, he is perfect in everyway.

plainj

I answered unsure. I do believe that Jesus had to be perfect in order to be the perfect sacrifice for us. But I have a side note question which, I believe, is still in line with the original question. Didn't Jesus experience every emotion that we experience? What about lust? Did Jesus ever lust? I've been wondering about this for a while. Please don't stone me. It really is an innocent question.

PaperClip

I answered unsure. I do believe that Jesus had to be perfect in order to be the perfect sacrifice for us. But I have a side note question which, I believe, is still in line with the original question. Didn't Jesus experience every emotion that we experience? What about lust? Did Jesus ever lust? I've been wondering about this for a while. Please don't stone me. It really is an innocent question.

Don't feel bad because you asked a question that you are sincere and serious about.

The Bible says that Jesus experienced everything we did when He was in His earthsuit:

Hebrews 4:15: For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Amplified: For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.

The Message: Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.

As I think about this question, like SuperNova said, it isn't a sin to have emotion...it isn't a sin to get angry...but we can say and do things out of emotion or anger that is sinful.

Matthew 15:11 says: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Amplified: It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth; this makes a man unclean and defiles [him].

The Message: He then called the crowd together and said, "Listen, and take this to heart. It's not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but what you vomit up."

So to your specific question about Jesus and lust:

I would venture to say that yes, He did lust, just as we do because Hebrews 4:15 says that he was "in all points tempted as we are". Lust is defined as "an intense longing". We usually want to associate lust with just for sexual desires, but lust can apply to other things as well. So whatever (unhealthy things) Jesus may have lusted after, He couldn't have lusted after such things for that long. Why? Because He knew to follow 2 Corinthians 10:5: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"

We have to do what Jesus did: the enemy (and our own flesh) will put thoughts into out minds, like seeds that could grow into weeds if not dealt with right away. We have to 1) cast those imaginations down (acknowledge those impure thoughts right away and cast them down) and then 2) replace those impure thoughts with pure thoughts: think on those things that are pure, just, lovely, of good report, etc.

Hope that helps....

ETA: I just read this entry from Numbers 11:34 in my New Living Translation Bible:

Craving or lusting is more than inappropriate sexual desire. It can be an unnatural or greedy desire for anything (sports, knowledge, possessions, influence over others). In this circumstance, God punished the Israelites for craving good food! Their desire was not wrong; the sin was in allowing that desire to turn into greed. They felt it was their right to have fine food, and they could think of nothing else. When you become preoccupied with something until it affects your perspective on everything else, you have moved from desire to lust.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Don't feel bad because you asked a question that you are sincere and serious about.

The Bible says that Jesus experienced everything we did when He was in His earthsuit:

Hebrews 4:15: For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Amplified: For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.

The Message: Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.

As I think about this question, like SuperNova said, it isn't a sin to have emotion...it isn't a sin to get angry...but we can say and do things out of emotion or anger that is sinful.

Matthew 15:11 says: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Amplified: It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth; this makes a man unclean and defiles [him].

The Message: He then called the crowd together and said, "Listen, and take this to heart. It's not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but what you vomit up."

I would venture to say that yes, He did lust, just as we do because Hebrews 4:15 says that he was "in all points tempted as we are". Lust is defined as "an intense longing". We usually want to associate lust with just for sexual desires, but lust can apply to other things as well. So whatever (unhealthy things) Jesus may have lusted after, He couldn't have lusted after such things for that long. Why? Because He knew to follow 2 Corinthians 10:5: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"

We have to do what Jesus did: the enemy (and our own flesh) will put thoughts into out minds, like seeds that could grow into weeds if not dealt with right away. We have to 1) cast those imaginations down (acknowledge those impure thoughts right away and cast them down) and then 2) replace those impure thoughts with pure thoughts: think on those things that are pure, just, lovely, of good report, etc.

Hope that helps....

ETA: I just read this entry from Numbers 11:34 in my New Living Translation Bible:

Craving or lusting is more than inappropriate sexual desire. It can be an unnatural or greedy desire for anything (sports, knowledge, possessions, influence over others). In this circumstance, God punished the Israelites for craving good food! Their desire was not wrong; the sin was in allowing that desire to turn into greed. They felt it was their right to have fine food, and they could think of nothing else. When you become preoccupied with something until it affects your perspective on everything else, you have moved from desire to lust.

Excellent Post!

And I agree, Yes, he was perfect. That's why having a personal, sincere relationship with Jesus, our Lord is possible because He understands everything that we go through! He has been through it all and therefore waiting to help us all.

Blossssom

That's a good question... how did Jesus handle sexual arousal? :eek:

Caramela

Yes, I believe he was perfect. He still felt the same things we feel, but he had to because he had taken on earthly form... the perfection lies in his reactions to those feelings and situations.

plainj

Hope that helps....

Thank you FoxyScholar. This was so helpful, so helpful, so helpful. I wondered on this for a loooong time. My mind could not understand how Jesus could experience the emotions that we experience and still be sinless. Why could He do it but we can't :sad:(i.e we (as humans--& He came in human form) all fall short of the glory of God).<----This is me still thinking. You got the wheels in my mind turning.:yep:
Your post also helped me in a whole different area that I'm dealing with right now.Thank you!!!

plainj

Yes, I believe he was perfect. He still felt the same things we feel, but he had to because he had taken on earthly form... the perfection lies in his reactions to those feelings and situations.
Very helpful. I'm applying this now.