Man Sues Catholic Church whether Jesus really existed

An Italian Athiest is suing A Catholic priest saying that the Church made up the whole story of Jesus':

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/01/04/italy.jesus.reut/index.html

One if the issues the atheist raised is that the only people who mentioned Jesus in the Bible were the apostles in the Gospels and that they never personally were alive durign the time of Jesus. My question is I vaguely remember learning that St. John, the apostle was the youngest of the 12 while Jesus was alive and was the only actual gospel writer who had first hand experiences with Jesus. Does anyone know if this is true, or is John the apostle and John the Gospel writer two different people. Sorry if this is silly, I just want to make sure I get it right before I start debating with my non-believing friends.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
TJD3 said:
Some people need help! Find something to do!

Exactly!! How is he gonna sue someone for a religion centuries old that he didnt establish? Besides the Bible isnt the only historical document to reference Christ or the folx of that time period.

BLESSED1

again I had to come out of lurkdom for this one...I'm wondering if I can sue this fool for saying my Jesus don't exist :mad:

Seriously though, if you don't believe that's fine w/ me, just keep it moving. No need to take it there, unless he truly has too much time on his hands:ohwell:

Sweet C

sunshine91496 said:
One if the issues the atheist raised is that the only people who mentioned Jesus in the Bible were the apostles in the Gospels and that they never personally were alive durign the time of Jesus. My question is I vaguely remember learning that St. John, the apostle was the youngest of the 12 while Jesus was alive and was the only actual gospel writer who had first hand experiences with Jesus. Does anyone know if this is true, or is John the apostle and John the Gospel writer two different people. Sorry if this is silly, I just want to make sure I get it right before I start debating with my non-believing friends.

So by his own words he is essentially hanging himself. He saying that the apostles only mentioned Jesus in the Bible, but he is forgetting the Saducees, Pharisees, Mary, his mom, Joseph, his dad, Mary Madgalene, Lazarus, Mary, Lazarus sister, Paul, Herod, as well as countless others in the scripture who mentioned him. I am just baffled at how this could even go to court. This seems like a personal vendetta against some priest he knew in seminary as well as against the Catholic church.

Oh, and to answer your question, the 2 of the 4 gospels were written by the apostles (Matthew and John). John's I think is what most scholars think is most accurate, but they all tell the same story, but some emphasis on certain points moreso than others.