wash and go on relaxed hair

sexy c

Can relaxed head do a wash and go and curls look defined like naturals, if not I may be tempted to go natural:D

Suri

I do this everyday because I work out everyday and most of the time by midday because of my bun, I have curls/waves. Good luck if you decide to go natural.

Chinagem

Here is a post about what one of our members does. Hope it helps you.

Here's a re-post of Tracy's post about the curly relaxed hair. Hope it helps some:

From the How to's thread.... Hope it helps...

My hair is the same texture as yours Chaya and yes, I leave with springy bouncy curls if I do it just this way.... I made a few minor changes...just for clarity....
---------

Reposting here upon request

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are:

conditioner
Styling Cream
Curl spray
Serum

Some people may not need the styling creme and the curl spray togther. I can do without the styling creme, or the spray in a pinch for instance - but not both.

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or lightweight rinse out conditoner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base. Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Frieda Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm. Either will effect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior. Point? You need something to encourage the curl.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner (mostly to the last 3 inches of my hair) and the styling creme if I'm using one. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important? ) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance.

ETA to include a link to Tracy's album: http://public.fotki.com/almostzoe/

winterinatl

All natural!
If your hair already has a wave to it, it will work.

After I wash, I comb out and apply my leave it, a serum, then whatever curling product I want to use to help the waves. I like Garnier Fructis curling creme, and John Frieda's Dream curls. I slick my hair into a ponytail and then re-wet it (the comb out took out most of the wave pattern) I then scrunch the product through, sectioning the ponytail about 4 or 5 times.

I let it dry, no more combing it for the rest of the day!!

I'll put a picture of the finished product in my avi.

Last edited:

Suri

At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance.

I do this too. Since my hair is freshly relaxed it dries so straight, in a month or so it will dry curly without much assistance. I usually apply leave in conditioner spray and cream with a touch of mousse-like setting lotion (Keracare settion foam) to assist with the squeezing.
I find that using a towel to grip the hair, squeeze and hold is excellent. But you have to hold it for about a minute in the same position. I have considered, holding a dryer lightly over my hair while squeezing :scratchch
I agree that Salon Selectives Loosely defined is also good for this.

Suri

winterinatl said:
It will work if your hair already has a wave to it, it will work.

true, my hair is so straight right now it's hair to get the curl going but in a month i will get that wave coming in.

can i ask from your experience have you found it hard to do this style when you need a trim? Like a serious trim?

suri

winterinatl

All natural!
Suri said:
true, my hair is so straight right now it's hair to get the curl going but in a month i will get that wave coming in.

can i ask from your experience have you found it hard to do this style when you need a trim? Like a serious trim?

suri

Well I've found that my prone-to-be-underprocessed area doesn't always like to follow it's instructions, lol, and I guess that is the area that ends up getting cut. It just frizzes, no pretty waves/curls. My hair has never been relaxed bone straight (I tried, could never get it to happen) so I always have some kinda wave to work with.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I found out by accident that I could do a wash n go by using pantene hydration curls . I just apply and shake my head. Instant spiral curls.:D I am several weeks post relaxer, but the part that was relaxed strait gives me loose C surls. It almost looks like a rollerset. I will be getting pics soon.

Kalani

I have relaxed hair and wash and go's are one of my main styles. I just have to leave a lot of conditioner in while its wet otherwise it will dry quite frizzy.

Leslie_C

That is the kind of hair I have and I have decent wash n gos. Sometimes it looks better than others, sometimes its a little too big or a little too frizzy. Its the style that is allowing my hair to thrive and its easy and low maintenance so Im sticking with it. My hair has gotten considerably thicker and longer since Ive been doing this.

What works best for me is to cowash, apply a leave in, seal with a little WGO, then I apply a spray product (like dream curls) and scrunch, then I apply my homemade curl pudding on top of that and scrunch more. Lastly I seal that with a little more oil. It dries soft and crinkly. Im not sure if u can see it very well in my avatar but it is pictured in my fotki as well

www.fotki.com/lesliemostly

sareca

I do it all the time, but my hair's not relaxed completely straight. *see siggy* I only use moisturizer on my WnG. As someone else said, the key is really not touching it until it's almost completely dry.

Last edited: