Wash-n-Go Help Needed

wyldcurlz

i have 3 main problems when i wear my hair down & curly (aka: wash-n-go)

1. my wash & go hair doesn't have a lot of movement. when i get it flatironed, it moves and swings...when i wash & go, its stiff. even though its soft to the touch, just not a lot of movement.

2. the curls at the back of my head aren't very defined. i want luscious, thick, well-defined 3B curls throughout, but the back of my head doesn't seem to curl up as nicely as the front/sides curl. i prefer the look of clumpy curls vs. lots of little individual strands curling.

3. lots of stringy areas that fall straight and don't curl. how do i get curl definition on these areas - right now i have to finger-curl them and clamp them with a clip for a few minutes.

my current routine is to apply a condish (usually AO's Honeysuckle Rose, because it helps my curls clump together), slightly rinse it out, then comb thru this watery gel that i discovered that works pretty well for me. then i air dry and go.

any ideas?

wyldcurlz

caribeandiva said:
maybe use products designed to give curls more definition like Beyond the zone's Noodlehead. try it.

i was just stalking pokohontas' fotki and i noticed her raving about this beyond the zone noodlehead...i'll have to check into...find out where i can buy it. how do you use it?

Divine Inspiration

Could the straight places be from heat damage??

Is the gel that you're using making your hair stiff? Maybe I lighter and/or creamier product would prevent that.

So1913 has some wicked curl definition so you may want to PM her or Bubbln to inquire about products and techniques.

HTH

{DI}

wyldcurlz

Divine Inspiration said:
Could the straight places be from heat damage??

Is the gel that you're using making your hair stiff? Maybe I lighter and/or creamier product would prevent that.

So1913 has some wicked curl definition so you may want to PM her or Bubbln to inquire about products and techniques.

HTH

{DI}

Divine,

you're hair is INSANE!!! its grown soooo much since i saw you in march! the straight pieces probably aren't from heat because i don't flatiron my hair too often. i dunno what's going on with the straight pieces. i'll look up so1913 & bubbln and check out their albums and ask what they're doing.
the gel i'm using (batia & aleeza) doesn't make my hair stiff, its very soft to the touch, it just doesn't have a lot of "bounce" when its curly...no matter what i use. maybe its too much condish? i don't know. thanks for the answer. that does help. i'll look them up...when are we having another LA LHCF meeting??

Divine Inspiration

wyldcurlz said:
Divine,

you're hair is INSANE!!! its grown soooo much since i saw you in march! the straight pieces probably aren't from heat because i don't flatiron my hair too often. i dunno what's going on with the straight pieces. i'll look up so1913 & bubbln and check out their albums and ask what they're doing.
the gel i'm using (batia & aleeza) doesn't make my hair stiff, its very soft to the touch, it just doesn't have a lot of "bounce" when its curly...no matter what i use. maybe its too much condish? i don't know. thanks for the answer. that does help. i'll look them up...when are we having another LA LHCF meeting??

Since your hair is stiff in spite of a light product, I'd probably clarify, and when you condition, be sure to rinse ALL of the conditioner out. Sometimes leaving some of it in or barely rinsing can make the hair heavy or stiff.

We definitely should do a fall or holiday LA LHCF meeting. Our last one was in April, and I think we've gotten new members since then. What say you to a December meeting?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
wyldcurlz said:
i was just stalking pokohontas' fotki and i noticed her raving about this beyond the zone noodlehead...i'll have to check into...find out where i can buy it. how do you use it?
Yeah girl....try that Noodlehead!:lol: As soon as I saw the title to your thread I was gonna suggest it. All you need is that and a Denman brush to get chunky curls. It's Beyond The Zone curling creme found at Sally's. All I do is apply a quarter sized amound to each side of my head and brush it through w/ my Denman brush, flip my head upside down and shake. While my head is still flipped I'll go through and do what I call a "curl set". Just take small sections and twirl them around your finger....this makes a chunky curl and it also sets your curls and makes them more defined. Ok, then I flip my hair back down and continue to twirl sections until I'm content with it. When it dries you can leave it chunky or separate the curls for more volume. It really comes out nice. HTH

so1913

Hey there! My technique does involve some heat from a blow dryer, but it's what I do and works for me ;)

I've been using Fantasia IC gel over my conditioner (DevaCurl One Conditioner and BBD Stretch). I diffuse, and when almost completely dry or almost (I may come back to my hair later on before going about my business, allowing it to dry more) I add a pomade, and I grab in sections and give it a shot from the blow dryer down half the length with medium heat(don't hold it to long). This helps losen up any stiff feeling, softens a little, and separates the curls. Also give it a quick blast all over with warm or cool air as a finishing touch to lift and loosen some more. Shake, finger fluff and style and I'm good to go. I now have hair that blows in the wind and moves :)

Divine Inspiration

so1913 said:
Hey there! My technique does involve some heat from a blow dryer, but it's what I do and works for me ;)

I've been using Fantasia IC gel over my conditioner (DevaCurl One Conditioner and BBD Stretch). I diffuse, and when almost completely dry or almost (I may come back to my hair later on before going about my business, allowing it to dry more) I add a pomade, and I grab in sections and give it a shot from the blow dryer down half the length with medium heat(don't hold it to long). This helps losen up any stiff feeling, softens a little, and separates the curls. Also give it a quick blast all over with warm or cool air as a finishing touch to lift and loosen some more. Shake, finger fluff and style and I'm good to go. I now have hair that blows in the wind and moves :)

*taking notes to add to my natural notebook*

luv04

try eco styler..its clear..and its perfect for curl definition..it comes in the huge container..it doesnt flake either i usually shingle to help with curl definition u can use a diffisur if ya like or air dry..