Wash Hair Once a month?

lilliz6

All hair care minimalist, I am looking for a style that will allow me to only wash and deep condition my hair once a month. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have tried flat ironing my hair and it lasts a month. But, I am looking for a style that will last a month using minimal heat, and isn't a weave.

FYI, I do medium twists and that lasts only a week before it gets really frizzy even with wrapping with a scarf every night.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 159
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 150

Napp

Ms. Nobody
have you tried rollersetting and then flatironing. that way you can minimize the heat used. this is what i am trying to do.

maybe a bun? you can change it up fairly often and you dont have to wash the hair until you want to but depending on how you make then bun you might get build up.

your hair is very pretty.

~~HoneyComb~~

I'm a minimalist too, and I've just revisited my long lost fingercurls/coils.

Twists frizz up on me after a couple of days, but my fingercurls so far are looking really good after almost a week, and looking better as the days go on.

I don't know if I'll get a month's worth of wear, but I am aiming for at least 2 weeks before I have to do them again. It took me 1 1/2 hours to fingercurl. At night, I tie my hair back loose in a scrunchie--tie my hair down with a silk scarf, and sleep on a satin pillow case to protect the ponytail. In the morning, after I take out the scrunchie, all I have to do is spritz, and retwist just a few twists in the front, which takes no more than 1/2 hrs and my hair looks really good.

Just a suggestion--good luck finding a style, my hair has a high frizz factor, but this style is taming the frizz, allowing me to wear my hair out, and is very low manipulation.

~~HoneyComb~~

What exactly is a fingercurls/coils? I need to look this up....

This is how I do my curls

First I do this technique (FF to :26 of video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXK39G0PZmM

Then I do this techique to set the curl (FF to 2:33 of video)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CurlyCrazyfulLeah#p/u/5/bmzbEBkvKuQ

I use gel to set the curls.

Here's the first day of my fingercurls from the back:

Here's a pic of my fingercurls that have been in 5 days:

Last edited:

Jewell

Maybe bun, weave it up, braid it then wear a wig, rollerset and then pin curl at night to maintain, flexi-rod or perm rod set, straw set, braid outs where you can re-braid at night and fluff in the morning. I only washed my hair about once per 3 wks until I began to wear my natural hair out, but I'd braid mine under a LF.

Forever in Bloom

I always rely on old faithful - aka, mini twists. I have had mine in for almost 3 weeks. The smaller your twists are, the less frizz you'll have to deal with. Also, you can style them in so many different ways :yep: After 2 weeks, I usually have to touch up the edges because they get a bit fuzzy, but other than that I'm good for the month.

virtuenow

GabbanaGirl (fotki/lhcf) had a once per month regimen that I followed in order to have a low manipulation routine...I actually did it for quite a while--when she linked her reggie on here over a year ago. Sometimes I would just blowdry and do the same pattern for for weeks. I gave it up and trying something different now, but here is the link... Its on her "about me" page-- if you sscroll down a bit to "once a month". http://members.fotki.com/GabbanaGirl/about/

~~HoneyComb~~

I always rely on old faithful - aka, mini twists. I have had mine in for almost 3 weeks. The smaller your twists are, the less frizz you'll have to deal with. Also, you can style them in so many different ways :yep: After 2 weeks, I usually have to touch up the edges because they get a bit fuzzy, but other than that I'm good for the month.

I've tried doing mini-twists on my hair and they never turn out right :nono: , and of course, they frizz. My hair has very high frizz factor.

LovelyNaps26

virtuenow

oh, that isn't me.:lol: that's KinkyKurlyQueen. it is all her hair :yep: she does this style several times a year and has had great retention. she is really patient.

She talks about how she maintains the style here

she keeps them in for 4 weeks and even then they look great.

mousee09

I am doing the same thing mini twists (they stay so long to do :( 6 hours), what is your regime to make them last for a month?

Right now my mini twists have been in for almost 2 weeks but i would love to be able to leave in for a month! that would be wonderful!

WantNatural

i'm about to do a month long protective style. i'm putting my hair in twists. not just medium twist that frizz up in about 5 days. Twists like these:

I found her fotki a while ago. I love her hair - she has tiny 4a coils like me, I think she's the only person I've found whose hair looks like mine. I would love to try mini twists, but I don't know if I have the time or the patience! These are lovely, they look like a great option for monthly washing/styling.

lilliz6

Her twists are really pretty! I'm going to try these tomorrow night. I will post pics of the style Saturday when I finish them. I'm excited!

lilliz6

I wonder how the mini twist are so snug at the roots.....Do you think she starts the twist off with a braid?

natura87

I cant last that long. That is neglect:nono: for my hair. My hair would break off and run away.

However I would suggest some some sort of protective style that allows you to still get in there and moisturize your hair while limiting buildup.

Last edited:

virtuenow

I cant last that long. That is neglect:nono: for my hair. My hair would break off and run away.

However I would suggest some some sort of protective style that allows you to still get in there and moisturize your hair while limiting buildup.

Well that's exactly what my hair did, it felt so neglected, it broke off and ran away!!! I never thought I could give up my 1month reggie b/c my hair ws becoming so unmanageable w/longer lengths. Let us know how it works out for u and how u maintain moisture!
Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lilliz6

Hey girls! I did my twist last week and I am finally posted a pic. See how it turned out.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55

virtuenow

Cute, thanks for the update...your twists turned out very nice. Did you blowdry/press or are u relaxed; what products did you use. I'm looking for tips on twists as I may do a set.

AnotherLevel

For 9 months after my BC, I did my own kinky twists every 4 weeks and only washed between installs (every 4 weeks). I did not experience any negative effects or build up despite moisturizing daily (with glycerin/aloe vera juice spritz). I also received excellent retention during that time.

lilliz6

I washed and conditioned under my steamer with Giovanni SAS. I put Giovanni leave-in conditioner on and blowdried. I then twisted with Bee Mine Curly Butter.