Water as a moisturizer instead of a water-based moisturizer?

Quita3514

So I have been reading up and researching on hair care and everything I read keeps saying keep your hair needs to be moisturized with a water based moisturizer..I mean why not just use water? Since its the best moisturizer out there..I'm thinking about using. Just a sprintz of water as my main moisturizer for a couple months and see how my hair responds to it..are any of you ladies using water to moisturized and seal your hair?

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

HauteHippie

So I have been reading up and researching on hair care and everything I read keeps saying keep your hair needs to be moisturized with a water based moisturizer..I mean why not just use water? Since its the best moisturizer out there..I'm thinking about using. Just a sprintz of water as my main moisturizer for a couple months and see how my hair responds to it..are any of you ladies using water to moisturized and seal your hair?

I use water with fresh aloe chunks (must be refrigerated) and/or Aussie Hair Insurance (mostly water/aloe juice) to moisturize, but water does not seal that moisture in, it just provides it. I've become a believer in "watering my hair." I'll use an oil to seal, like olive oil.

Spring

Water is my main moisturizer, but then afterwards I apply Suave Tropical Coconut mixed with evoo or evco and a little aloe vera juice

ETA: water is the best moisturizer, but by itself will leave the hair dry :)

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
If your scalp produces enough sebum to moisturize your hair, and it actually coats your hair like it does for other races... then you could get away with just using water so to say....

But for probably 90% of black people...I don't think that we could get away with it....

mstk

I use a spray bottle filled with water and a bit of oil (last time it was hemp seed oil and a few drops of peppermint for the smell). I can only use it when I don't plan on wearing my hair straight. I think I'd have to stick with a water based leave-in when I have straightened my hair.

MrsHdrLe

I'm on the water quality soap box, do you have/have you considered investing in a shower filter. Good water=Good hair.:yep:

Oh, and seal, of course.

Missjae09

I use water with a little lavender in my nightly moisture routine but I also seal with an oil. I love it

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Sosoothing

These days I use plain water in a spray bottle and then add a few drops of oil when Im done. If I don't do that, I just wet my hair under the shower daily. Seems to be working fine so far.

Tiye

It's gotta be water + more - i.e. one or more humectant otherwise it will evaporate and leave your hair dry. You wouldn't moisturize your face with plain water - same basic idea.

westNDNbeauty

I agree with others. I don't think water alone will be sufficient. You need to use an additional product. Water-based moisturizers helps you cut down on steps because they usually contain all you need to moisturize (plus some oil).

I think others seal water-based moisturizers for their own assurance. But if you have a decent moisturizer to begin with, you should be ok with that alone.

ajargon02

water does not seal that moisture in, it just provides it. I've become a believer in "watering my hair." I'll use an oil to seal,

YUP! I use just plain water. I have a shower filter, and I use that filtered water to mist my hair, then apply my creamy leave-in ( kimmaytube leave-in that I have tweaked). I am a natural, and that's what I do PRIOR to styling my hair. I let the mix air dry, then once dry and stretched, I start my twists. I then mist with water again, and apply a tiny bit of shea mixed with coconut oil or oyin's whipped pudding ( which is also excellent on the skin ) and twist. This, and letting the shower mist get to my hair daily has left my tresses VERY soft, and juicy. :yep:

empressri

if that's the case water should leave our hair and skin moisturized...not that case. once it evaporates what happens...you need to moisturize!

Quita3514

Okay I think I understand this now..but I have been spritzing my hair with water and sealing it with coconut oil and my hair has been fine..hasn't dried out yet..idk..buh its workin for me..

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I agree with others. I don't think water alone will be sufficient. You need to use an additional product. Water-based moisturizers helps you cut down on steps because they usually contain all you need to moisturize (plus some oil).

I think others seal water-based moisturizers for their own assurance. But if you have a decent moisturizer to begin with, you should be ok with that alone.
I'm sure you have this posted somewhere but will you share what moisturizer you use that is all inclusive that does not require sealing?

yardgirl

I tried that but it didn't work for me. I just had to order my HG moisturizer online because I can't find it anywhere out here. It will get here by Friday or so and I cannot WAIT!