wearing braids consistently and keeping your edges....

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Can it be done? I really want to get me some pencil sized braids to last me a coupel months starting in September, but my hair is starting to thin on one side of my head :( . No, I have not been faithful to the Crown and Glory method when I did have braids this past year and I also was not consistently surging either.....

webby

Think Slim
I'm not a braid expert, but if your hair is already thinning, I'd advice you not to get braids, especially small ones right now.

You may be at risk for alopecia, which is sometimes not reversible.

honeycomb719

I agree, when I wore braids back 2 back, I had major thinning going on, and my edges suffered the worst. Smaller braids are really damaging to my edges. I wouldnt suggest wearing braids consistently. Your hair will need a break from the stres braids put on the hair.
I think w/ braids in conjunction w/ adding products to the braids, that forms those dredded lint/product knots especially around edges, which leads to thinning and balding. Washing just makes it worst IMO :ohwell: .

sassyhair

I would say use an anti-thinning balm or growth agent around your edges during the time you have the braids in. Don't get them if your hairline is already in trouble. Make sure the braids are not too tight, if they are a good way to loosen them is oil and steam, this can be done in the shower.

KathyMay

you should also wait until your edges have thicken up to get braids and "surge" them once you have the braids.

I recommend that you try not to braid that fragile area. Have your stylist braid your hair so that that area is covered.
I've done this and it helps!

tryn2growmyhair

Does it make a difference if you cornrow or not? I would never do loose braids but I have been thinking of doing cornrow extensions as a new protective style because I am sick and tired of bunning it. Loose braids put too much stress on my hair but I was hoping that cornrows would be different.

LABETT

ONEBLESSEDRN said:
I recommend that you try not to braid that fragile area. Have your stylist braid your hair so that that area is covered.
I've done this and it helps!
This is exactly what I do with my cornrow style and I am able to apply my thinning creme to my edges Virgin Hair Fertilizer works great with braids because it tingles your scalp and helps with itching and protects the hairline.

Ayeshia

Gte the edges rebraided when the new growth starts coming in...if there is a lot of new growth the wieght from the braids will pull your real hair and eventurally thin the area over time.

HoneyDew

I have never lost hair around the edges, but I have to go back to the shop every 2 or 3 weeks to get them redone. Also, the ones around the edges are a little bigger. It has taken me a while to get the braiders to understand how I feel about edges and the braiding of small hairs. Even still they try to go against what I want. I bet when I leave, they think I am the picky client from hell. Once I had the braider unbriad and redo about 30 braids that were just too tight or too small. Besides I try to take a break from them every now and then. I am sure that helps.

Paying all that money and spending all the time is not worth any loss of hair in the process.

HoneyDew

tryn2growmyhair said:
Does it make a difference if you cornrow or not? I would never do loose braids but I have been thinking of doing cornrow extensions as a new protective style because I am sick and tired of bunning it. Loose braids put too much stress on my hair but I was hoping that cornrows would be different.

I got cornrows for the 1st time a few months ago and they were WAY TOO TIGHT around my edges. After a week, I could see hairs that had been pulled out. I saw the little bulbs at the end. :eek: I took those babies rout right then and there.

I am not getting cornrows again, but maybe it was just the braider that did it. I go to this shop for loose braids all the time and never feel tightness. I was surprised at the cornrow job they did.

Just be sure they don't do it too tight and don't leave then in for more than 2 weeks or so.

Phoenix

Here's what helped me keep my edges while wearing braids...

-Never wearing micro braids or small braids period. Mine aren't quite pencil
size...maybe about 2/3 of a pencil.
- Asking my braider to leave some hair out (unbraided) around the edges
-Asking them to make the braids around the edges bigger
-Using ORS fertilizing temple balm 2x/day

I was having some thinning around my edges a couple of months back. But doing these things has taken care of it.

Shatani

PittGirl06 said:
Can it be done? I really want to get me some pencil sized braids to last me a coupel months starting in September, but my hair is starting to thin on one side of my head :( . No, I have not been faithful to the Crown and Glory method when I did have braids this past year and I also was not consistently surging either.....
ive never really had an issue with my edges and there was a time when in was in braids constantly! and i did nothing to take care of them...so, i think its possible.

Diane71

Oh it is definitely possible and easy to do. I have been in braided styles for over 4 1/2 years and my edges are very healthy and full. First off, I don't braid that tight. I use just the right amount of tension and I keep my braids and scalp moisturized on a daily basis. I wash my braids once per week, apply Daily Doctor leave-in, tie up in a silk scarf and allow to air dry to about 75%. Then all I do is apply a light oil or hairdress to my scalp, spray all over with braid spray and that's it. Very simple and hassle free.

hotshot

Ayeshia said:
Gte the edges rebraided when the new growth starts coming in...if there is a lot of new growth the wieght from the braids will pull your real hair and eventurally thin the area over time.
exactly. otherwise you'll be in trouble.

Nonie

I was just going to quote Ayeshia but you beat me to it Hot. :) That's definitely the #1 precaution.

And cornrows might be safer than singles for your hairline, but only if the braider isn't one of those who can't help but pull your hair hard when attaching extension hair; some people can't help it even when not adding hair.

Also I agree with whoever said less of the extension or none is best per section of the hair along the edges.

Last edited:

Kitkat

I'd agree that you should definitely avoid too-small or micro braids, which can really screw up your hairline. If your hair is already thinning, I'd slather on the Surge, or ORS Temple Balm, or whatever you find that works best for you.

I wore box braids for years, back to back, with very few breaks in between. They were always about the size of a pencil. Thankfully, I had no damage or thinning to my edges. As Shatani says, it can be done. :) In addition to braiders pulling too tightly on the edges, you can also lose hair during the take down if you're not super super careful, especially around the fragile edges. Don't discount the benefits of a good daily scalp massage too, to get the oils and the circulation going. Good luck.:D