well I'm sad

I know I am paranoid, but I'm that way with most salon AA professionals. I hate to write that, but it's true based on my limited experience. :wallbash: In my lifetime, I have only been to one stylist who was NOT scissor happy...out if about 13, only one did right by my hair in terms of scissors. She also did a GREAT relaxer. Her name is Janice and she lives in Greensboro, NC if anyone is looking for a stylist who will take great care of both natural and relaxed hair.

I am so sorry this happened to you, and I pray that your hair grows back really quickly.

cj

thanks, now that i think about it, the best stylist i had was in regis and she was indian. But she could do hair and even though cutting hair was like one of her specialties, if i told her to trim alittle then thats exactly what she did.
the only reason i stopped going was because she is all the way on the other side of new orleans, i wanted a stylist closer to me.

i went to the hairdresser today and got a relaxer after a 3mth stretch. the stylist basically told me my ends were bad, my bsb hair ended up sl. Even though i know my ends probably needed it, im a little depressed

I would not have trusted her if I were you. Why did you trust her? She cut a LOT off. You could have babied those ends and given them a chance to get strong before opting for a cut.

well i had layers from a previous stylist i think this one was trying to cut my hair even, i know my ends were split, i just gave birth 8 weeks ago. I dont think that much needed to be cut though. she gave me a roller wrap but when i stretch one of the curls its sl. hopefully i can get my hair to grow fast

They'll get 'cha every time with that one! And they'll do it without asking or explaining fully what it is they are doing to YOUR hair. I've been trimming & cutting my own since this happened to me last time and I"ve gotten pretty good at it.

This is why I refuse to get my hair cut. Uneven ends or not. Whatever. Until I find a stylist that I know won't lost her/his darn MIND in my head....It'll just be uneven for awhile.

Your hair will grow back though!! At least you know how to take care of it and keep it healthy. You''ll be fine.

^5. That's why I learned how to cut my own danm hair. I'm at the length now that it is much easier for me to cut. Them ole happy go lucky scissors grabbing:yep: You ask for a trim and they give you a cut. I've had my share of happy go luckies:lachen:OP, you'll be fine, your hair will grow back but next time establish how much you want cut before any scissors touch your mane:rolleyes:

Have stylist stopped learning how to cut layers? Surely she threw the baby out with the bath water.

That's it, I'm buying my own shears and I'm going to trim my own hair, I keep hearing too many of these stories. It sounds like she cut off way too much hair OP :nono:

When I get my next touch up I'll just be telling my stylist straight - no trims! She don't see me much as it is so if she gives me drama I just won't bother going back.

OP so sorry to hear that. I am convinced that they just feel the need to cut even when not necessary. must be in the training manual or something.

OT- what is BSB?

Completely agree!

I swear I am convinced many of them do. I feel as if because I have relied on stylists basically my entire hair existence (since I was 5) I have never had hair TOO long. My hair grew pretty well even despite the fact it was being relaxed and whatnot, and I remember a couple of times (2 specifically) where I was told my ends needed to be chopped off because they "needed" it. And I'm not talking a trim. I mean, one of the times from shoulder blade to shoulder length, and the other separate time was from be shoulder length to above shoulder length. Both started off as a supposed "trim". :nono: My hair was very manageable, and even younger-in-the-dark me knew it was an overboard scissor happy incident on my hair. I remember crying about the shoulder blade one (dramatics lol, day before first day of sophomore year!) And stylists ARE very pushy about hacking off your hair.

Even lately, the last few times I've seen my stylist, any time she started talking about cutting my hair, I had to specifically remind her I was OK with having my hair TRIMMED somewhat, just the tips/ends. I hate to say it, but I have very little faith left in the majority of stylists. Much like any business, it's all about the money. :sad:

I like the idea someone posted earlier in this thread (sorry, don't rememer who!) about having a random stylist at a different salon trim your hair. I was thinking of doing that, since I am no longer seeing any stylists (except for trims every, what, 6-8 weeks?). There is a small salon off base, and I was thinking of going there as a walk in and asking first before I let them come near my hair with scissors. There is no way I am going to let myself be bullied on the subject again. It sounds wonderful to be able to trim your own hair, but I am defnitely not knowledgeable enough for that just yet, lol.

Great idea! Oooh girl....no trim with your relaxer? Your stylist might fall out. Get ready to hear all kinds of complaints about your ends and how they need to be cut so your hair can grow. *rolls eyes*
Lol! Wow, story of my life! This is really funny to me, only because I didn't realize it was such a common thing among stylists. The whole complainig about ends until you give in! So true. I've had about 4 different stylists, and I remember 3 of them telling me that at various points. And always very pushy too.

Last edited:
I've had that experience - a pushy stylist pressuring me to trim when I said "I don't want a trim this time". After I said that at a few appointments she said "When you don't trim I have to cut off more the next time". That was the last straw with her. I realized that she just wanted to keep my hair SL and I'm sure she wanted the extra $10. She wanted to trim at every relaxer, which was every 6 weeks.

There were a few times that I gave into her pressure and I let her bully me into getting a trim that I knew I didn't need, but I thought she knew better because she was the hair professional and I don't have a cosmetology license. :rolleyes:

After I started getting less frequent trims she started with the "Your ends looks so bad, your ends are so damaged, girl you need a trim". :blah:

Many stylists don't care about your efforts in taking care of your hair, your self-confidence, etc.

we are here ><!!!!!! last year I was SL and I was soooooooooo happy with my progress. I asked for a trim and I ended up with a short cut :(. that was the last time I sat in her chair. Im 2.5 months post now and Im going to Becky at Supercuts for a trim when Im ready.

I've had that experience - a pushy stylist pressuring me to trim when I said "I don't want a trim this time". After I said that at a few appointments she said "When you don't trim I have to cut off more the next time". That was the last straw with her. I realized that she just wanted to keep my hair SL and I'm sure she wanted the extra $10. She wanted to trim at every relaxer, which was every 6 weeks.

There were a few times that I gave into her pressure and I let her bully me into getting a trim that I knew I didn't need, but I thought she knew better because she was the hair professional and I don't have a cosmetology license. :rolleyes:

After I started getting less frequent trims she started with the "Your ends looks so bad, your ends are so damaged, girl you need a trim". :blah:

Many stylists don't care about your efforts in taking care of your hair, your self-confidence, etc.

Back