What are some good CHEAP gentle shampoos?

legz

i'm looking for a shampoo with no SLS or any form of it, cause my scalp is very sensitive and my hair is already too dry to use even a moisturizing shampoo with SLS. i found a really really really great shampoo at The Body Shop, the honey moisturizing shampoo, that was non stripping. it has brazil nut, olive oil, whey protein, other stuff but no SLS and smells exactly like honey. it left my hair soft, frizz free, and shining like crazy!! but the downside is, its pretty pricey. it was like 15 bucks for 400 mL, but i am just a poor student. soo, are there any drugstore price alternatives or am i just forced to pay a little extra for natural products?

legz said:
i'm looking for a shampoo with no SLS or any form of it, cause my scalp is very sensitive and my hair is already too dry to use even a moisturizing shampoo with SLS. i found a really really really great shampoo at The Body Shop, the honey moisturizing shampoo, that was non stripping. it has brazil nut, olive oil, whey protein, other stuff but no SLS and smells exactly like honey. it left my hair soft, frizz free, and shining like crazy!! but the downside is, its pretty pricey. it was like 15 bucks for 400 mL, but i am just a poor student. soo, are there any drugstore price alternatives or am i just forced to pay a little extra for natural products?
Creme of nature
Elasta QP Creme conditioning shampoo

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, you can get their Pure Castile Soap. It has peppermint, olive, coconut oils plus aloe vera. I just started using it and it is very gentle yet you get a good clean feeling after using it and it is not stripping. The best part is that it is only $2.99 for a 16 oz bottle. :D

MeccaMedinah said:
Also, Dr. Bronner Castile soap
Giovanni shampoos

Now, Ive heard you ladies talk about the Dr Bronner Castile soap, esp on children's hair. Where can I find this? Is it at the local drug store? I think I maybe over looking it.

nurseN98 said:
If you have a Trader Joe's near you, you can get their Pure Castile Soap. It has peppermint, olive, coconut oils plus aloe vera. I just started using it and it is very gentle yet you get a good clean feeling after using it and it is not stripping. The best part is that it is only $2.99 for a 16 oz bottle. :D

Oh, is the pure castile the same thing.

Tanelions said:
Oh, is the pure castile the same thing.
It's pretty much the same. The only difference is what they add to the castile soap. For instance, I've used it by Kiehl's and I don't like it at all. They add a bunch of xtra crap too it. I like the Trader Joes but I think the Dr.Bronner's is a good brand too.

Tanelions said:
Now, Ive heard you ladies talk about the Dr Bronner Castile soap, esp on children's hair. Where can I find this? Is it at the local drug store? I think I maybe over looking it.

GNC or your local health food store:)

nurseN98 said:

I'm gonna try this ;)

nurseN98 said:
It's pretty much the same. The only difference is what they add to the castile soap. For instance, I've used it by Kiehl's and I don't like it at all. They add a bunch of xtra crap too it. I like the Trader Joes but I think the Dr.Bronner's is a good brand too.

Thank you NurseN98

Legz, I love your bangs! lol just wanted to say that... i should refer to this pic when i get my bangs in a few months.

Softsheen Breakthru Shampoo is very gentle with no SLS it 7 bucks at walmart but you can get it for a dollar or two at Big Lots or the Dollar Stores.

LABETT said:
Softsheen Breakthru Shampoo is very gentle with no SLS it 7 bucks at walmart but you can get it for a dollar or two at Big Lots or the Dollar Stores.

co-signing :up: :up:

I like Dr. Bronners Castile Soap but it is too gentle to get grease out. My hair is indifferent to any shampoo but Elasta QP (all their shampoos) are gentler on my hair. Breakthru is good too.

I Use Dr Bronners Castile Too (almond)sometimes. Im Thinking About Mixing It With Water Or Conditioner. im hoping to get a creamy lather. i think i will try this next wash probably with alittle cond.

Last edited:
CarLiTa said:
Legz, I love your bangs! lol just wanted to say that... i should refer to this pic when i get my bangs in a few months.

I agree!! Her bangs are very pretty.

I also agree, CON is gently (with 1 lather).

Just wanted to add that baby shampoos (with the exception of Dr Bronners) are just as harsh (SOMETIMES HARSHER) than regular shampoos. Same ingredients, different marketing.

My favorite 3 shampoos are extremely gentle and cheap
1. Softsheen breakthru
2. Crème of nature-ultra detangling
3. Elasta conditioning shampoo

Cream of Nature (Green and white bottle). I haven't read the whole thread, don't know if this was suggested, but if you want a more gentle way to shampoo your hair, do a search for C-COW-C. It's a method of diluting your shampoo with water/ conditioner to make it extra gentle and moisturizing.

Back