What are some ways to make relaxer stretching easier?

Raspberry

Don't be afraid to spend money on good products. I find that the good natural hair moisturizers/stylers like Qhemet Burdock Root, Qhemet Detangling Ghee, and Darcy's Transitioning Creme are excellent for softening, detangling, and blending new growth/natural roots. I also love Rusk Creme Detangler but it's hard to find.

ETA: Braidouts and twist-outs are easy and flattering styles for stretching relaxed hair as well.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
bumping for KammyGirl

Also search some of the older stretching threads, so you can be equipped. And wait and go back to the Salon where they understand your wishes

Andrea2012

Eiano, you may be right about using s-curl and using a humidifier. I actually bought a humidifier a few months ago, so that could help.

NIN4eva

Oh, and I should mention Main and Tail Detangler. This stuff is amazing. Detangles like a dream, ng and length are super shiny smooth and moisturized.

BUT... it gives me itchy hives if it even touches my arms or back. (So does Affirm relaxer.)

I still recommend trying it though. It's THAT good.

bgsix

Andrea2012 you have been given excellent advice. Just listen to your hair throughout the stretch. If you experience too much breakage stop. You can build up to be a long term stretcher, start with a goal maybe 10-11 weeks, then the next time shoot for extra weeks. Good luck.

sunnieb

I can't believe I am 10 weeks post!! Currently I have a full sew in to help me transition a little longer hopefully I will make it to 16 weeks!! What do you ladies use to help with the tangles?? I am trying to keep my strands from thinning out.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using LHCF excuse any typos do not use my photos please!!!

Sanity - here's a good thread, but I'm looking for another one. If I find it, I'll tag you.

Andrea2012

@divachyk I use it when I'm 6+ weeks post relaxer after I rinse out my deep conditioner. I believe it is similar to Roux PC, but the French Perm Stabilizer's ph is 2.5.

Angelinhell I decided to try out the French Perm Stabilizer after reading all the good reviews on the thread you bumped, but I didnt have the same experience. :nono: I applied after rinsing out my DC, but I didn't have the silky smooth hair that some described. Wondering if I did something wrong? ??:ohwell:

Bmars86

Cowashing with Aussie Moist conditioner then using 3comb smooth method (hot combs.net). AM melts that new growth like butter.:yep:

Angelinhell

Angelinhell I decided to try out the French Perm Stabilizer after reading all the good reviews on the thread you bumped, but I didnt have the same experience. :nono: I applied after rinsing out my DC, but I didn't have the silky smooth hair that some described. Wondering if I did something wrong? ??:ohwell:

Andrea2012 hmm, was the bottle you purchased fresh? I know I let mine get old one time and it didn't work the same.

Andrea2012

@Andrea2012 hmm, was the bottle you purchased fresh? I know I let mine get old one time and it didn't work the same.

I hope it was fresh. I just purchased it at Sally's last Tuesday. I went to one Sally's and the associate thougth they had discontinued it, but she called a different location and they had it there. Who knows how long it's been sitting on the shelf though. I think they only had two bottles left.

freckledface

I think the #1 thing for me is how I actually think/feel about my NG. I like it at 10 weeks post. So I'm not in such a hurry to relax it as I was in the past. #2 hot oil treatments! I've always dc so that helps but since I've overnight pre pooed on a reg basis its a lot more manageable.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
i would roller set, bun, and use the loc/lol/loco method to moisturize and seal my hair (liquid-oil-cream, liquid or liquid-oil-leave in, liquid-oil-cream-oil). i would also deep condition with a conditioner that contained moisture and protein, reconstructors do this (aubrey's gbp is a good one) and do it a minimum of once a week.

as an fyi, everyone doesn't have ill effect from glycerin and there are multiple other ingredients that also act as humectants like castor oil, honey, aloe vera juice/gel, and blackstrap molasses. i live in the northeast anf though its been cold and dry many of my products contain humectants... in winetr i just mositurize and seal often.

I've been doing the LOCO method for a while now not knowing it was a method , LOL. It just makes sense to me. L=DB Daily Leave-In, O=Ceramide Mix, C=QB AOHC or BRBC, O=oil of the month OR Organix Anti-Breakage Coconut Milk Serum to ends. I've learned to be light handed with each step so I don't have super heavy, oily hair.

EnExitStageLeft

I'm currently 18 weeks post and the biggest game changer has been leaving the Shampoo behind and exclusively using Cleansing Conditioners and Conditioners to cleanse my hair.

Also up'ping my DC'ing and using the relaxer method for application has also been big help. I find that when my new growth is properly conditioned it stays moist for dayssss.

Another tip is moisturizing regularly and thoroughly. I LCOB (modified LOC) at least 4 times a week and my newgrowth thanks me for it.

Last edited:

brittle_hair

Changing your styling options helps alot - atm I'm liking setting the ends of my hair with a few satin rollers before bed then combing through in the morning and either wearing a ponytail or wearing it down with one side pinned back.

But outside of that I thinking maintaining a regular washing and conditioning routine helps to keep the hair detangled and the new growth soft - I love Affirm 5 in 1 as it controls my hairs porosity, has moisturing agents and strengthens my hair with protein.

sunnieb

Airdry in 4 stretched ponytails with a roller on the ends. This method keeps my newgrowth loose until thenext wash. :yep:

sunnieb

I'm 18 weeks post now and in no hurry to relax as long as my hair behaves. For the last week or so, I've been very hair lazy.

I cowash with WEN every 3-4 days and airdry. At night, I heavily moisturize my previously relaxed hair and lightly moisturize my newgrowth. Then twist in 2 bantu knots to sleep.

I don't even bun like I used to. I'm mostly wearing half up/ half down in some form or fashion.

Here's my hair today:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150302_090109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150302_090109.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20