What are the main reason for stretching relaxers? Does relaxers thin hair?

star

What are the main reasons for stretching relaxers?
Can certain relaxers cause thinning of the hair? Which Ones

I will be posting my new pictures next week and my ends have gotten thinner and thinner over the last 10 months. My year started Feb. 05 by May 05 my next photo update I notice the thinning big difference from Feb. and May pictures. Prior to Feb 05 I had braids and no chemicals for a year as soon as I started relaxing my hair started thinning. I am thinking about going to natural and do a press and curl or find a better relaxer. I used AFFIRM for years but they were not putting the reconstructor on after it was taken out. I heard that could had been a problem so I switch temporary just to see what would happen same problem with new relaxer.

Country gal

I am really curious too. When I use to get my hair relaxed, my stylist would chide me for stretching too long. She said that my hair would shed more when I missed my touch ups.

Candy_C

my hair is much stronger when i wait between 12-16 weeks. i do get more breakage though, but i counteract this by washing more often, and combing less (also using light protein leave ins).

i think the best part of waiting is that theres less chance of over-lapping.
I think relaxers can thin the hair if their done too often, it really depnds on how much regrowth you have though.

my hair ends look thinner the longer i go without a relaxer, then when i have my relaxer it fill out again, i think its cuz my regrowth grows outwards not downwards.

star

Thanks!! :)
Candy_C said:
my hair is much stronger when i wait between 12-16 weeks. i do get more breakage though, but i counteract this by washing more often, and combing less (also using light protein leave ins).

i think the best part of waiting is that theres less chance of over-lapping.
I think relaxers can thin the hair if their done too often, it really depnds on how much regrowth you have though.

my hair ends look thinner the longer i go without a relaxer, then when i have my relaxer it fill out again, i think its cuz my regrowth grows outwards not downwards.

Lorraine S

star said:
What are the main reasons for stretching relaxers?
Can certain relaxers cause thinning of the hair? Which Ones

I will be posting my new pictures next week and my ends have gotten thinner and thinner over the last 10 months. My year started Feb. 05 by May 05 my next photo update I notice the thinning big difference from Feb. and May pictures. Prior to Feb 05 I had braids and no chemicals for a year as soon as I started relaxing my hair started thinning. I am thinking about going to natural and do a press and curl or find a better relaxer. I used AFFIRM for years but they were not putting the reconstructor on after it was taken out. I heard that could had been a problem so I switch temporary just to see what would happen same problem with new relaxer.

Hi Star,

Maybe you need to use a very very mild relaxer, In addition maybe you need a really hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee For Damage Hair. Also it could be that your stylist was not using the reconstructor. I saw the products you use, and you have a lot of the great ones. Are you really protecting your ends? Do you handle your hair with care, meaning less combing, brushing, etc. You need to Moisturize, Moisturize, those ends and then put them away...

Lorraine

AnjelLuvs

Same here, I always thought my hair was thin the longer I would wait to get a relaxer, but soon as I got one... I was all like darn my hair ia healthy... I think it depneds on the person, and the growth...

Candy_C said:

star

Lorraine S said:
Hi Star,

Maybe you need to use a very very mild relaxer, In addition maybe you need a really hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee For Damage Hair. Also it could be that your stylist was not using the reconstructor. I saw the products you use, and you have a lot of the great ones. Are you really protecting your ends? Do you handle your hair with care, meaning less combing, brushing, etc. You need to Moisturize, Moisturize, those ends and then put them away...

Lorraine
I tried to do almost everything right I am starting to think it is the relaxer strength and needed more protein.

KiSseS03

I remember someone posted a little while back a really good thread with a visual. Basically it said that each time you overlap a relaxer you create a weak spot in your hair (it's less elastic at that spot). It is inevitable that you will have some overlap at the line of demarcation, but by stretching there will be less of these spots along the strand, and they will be farther apart, so your hair will have more elasticity.

Look at it like this, if you relax every 6 weeks you hair will look like this (x is overlap):
------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------

If you wait every 12:
------------x------------x------------x------------x------------

Miss_Jetsetter

I just came off of a 6 month stretch. I did it mainly becasue my hair is fine and too many chemicals too often thins me ot ALOT.

CinnaMocha

I choose to stretch b/c I am trying to avoid constant chemical contact and overlapping even though that sometimes is not guarantee.
Sorry to hear your trouble...lots of luck with your search.

CM

star

KiSseS03 said:
I remember someone posted a little while back a really good thread with a visual. Basically it said that each time you overlap a relaxer you create a weak spot in your hair (it's less elastic at that spot). It is inevitable that you will have some overlap at the line of demarcation, but by stretching there will be less of these spots along the strand, and they will be farther apart, so your hair will have more elasticity.

Look at it like this, if you relax every 6 weeks you hair will look like this (x is overlap):
------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------

If you wait every 12:
------------x------------x------------x------------x------------
Excellent analogy. It makes alot of sense. I am going to stretch from now on. :D

Thank ladies I appreciate all of your help!!!

Last edited:

bajanplums1

I stretch to get maximum growth. I rather let my natural roots grow out to 2" and nourish them before I relax. I like to see that after I relax, serious growth. Also, there is less chance of overlap.

star

bajanplums1 said:
I stretch to get maximum growth. I rather let my natural roots grow out to 2" and nourish them before I relax. I like to see that after I relax, serious growth. Also, there is less chance of overlap.
What product do you use to avoid breakage? Are they specific for stretching relaxers or just your staples or techniques? Thanks :D

Country gal

Candy_C said:

CC, this makes sense. My hair grows every direction except south so it seems. Natural hair is probably doing the same thing so the perm helps to flatten it out.