What are the signs of underprocessed hair?

candycane

I have read some posts from a few ladies lately that described their hair as being underprocessed. What are the signs of underprocessed hair????? Thanks in advance.

Candycan

Kitkat

One sign of underprocessed hair is hair that becomes kinky or frizzy when wet and left to air dry.

Sindeee

I am now natural so as I'm writing this, I'm referring to past tense.

One of the signs of underprocessed hair for me was. No matter how I tried to make my hair look straight before the 8 weeks of getting a new touch up, it would NEVER look or feel straight. It always looked lifeless & dull. Even with the constant blow-drying, flat-ironing or curling, nothing ever worked!

Sindeee

nita4

After your hair is relaxed and you shampoo your hair will still have a strong curl pattern. In other words, you will still have that "I need a touch up" look going on. You will have more of a texturized look, your hair will be curly, wavy, blown out looking, not straight. You can still work with your hair until your next touch up - do rollersets & braidouts.

candycane

I know there are lots of women who tend to avoid relaxing to a bone straight consistency. I am one of them.
So I wonder if I am doing more damage to my hair by avoiding getting my new growth super straight. I guess
my question is, is it damaging to have underprocessed hair? If so, why?

Candycane

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
candycane said:
I know there are lots of women who tend to avoid relaxing to a bone straight consistency. I am one of them.
So I wonder if I am doing more damage to my hair by avoiding getting my new growth super straight. I guess
my question is, is it damaging to have underprocessed hair? If so, why?

Candycane

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. It's more damaging to have bone straight hair because the elasticity is removed and the hair can be weakened. However, if someone has been relaxing to bone straight and the new growth is not, then they have a problem due to the different textures. Hair that has been relaxed with some curl pattern will have more body and fullness than hair that is relaxed bone straight..IMO. Plus, hair that has some curl pattern can be worn curly/wavy after wetting. Leaving some curl in the hair is my preferred method of relaxing too.

Kitkat

Candycane, there's a difference between relaxing properly and relaxing till the hair is bone straight. Most of the time when a professional relaxes the hair (or at least someone who knows what she's doing), it will be relaxed to remove a decent amount of the curl pattern, but not every shred of it. When the right proportion of curl pattern is removed and the correct amount is retained, it's properly relaxed. This is what we all shoot for. If all of the curl pattern is relaxed out, this is bone straight, which reduces elasticity. Reduced elasticity leads to weak, fragile, brittle hair, which causes damage and breakage.