Texturized or Underprocessed Hair

lshevonne

I've read that a texturizer is just a mild relaxer to some degree so if your hair is underprocessed does that make it just texturized? If so, how do you care for underprocessed hair? How do you control the frizz in both? /images/graemlins/huh.gif

Ennyaa

Boy that's a really good question. I am texturized but I guess it's all just a matter of degrees and expectations. If you wanted your hair bone straight but wound up with frizzy waves I guess you'd call it underprocessed. But if you wanted just to loosen your curls you'd say it was texturized. lol Anyhow as far as the frizz goes I tend to keep my hair very moisturized and in drawstring ponytails and buns so I haven't really had to deal with this yet. I'll let you know after I try my first twist-out this weekend if the frizz is driving me nutz.

beana3

good question...
I dont know how to answer this. Maybe this will help, my results with moitions oil mild left my hair "underprocessed", like seriously I have been combating breakage since the week after i got a touch up!!It didn't take well enough in some areas and in others i had this wavy effect which i would call "texturized"

okay maybe this is the difference

waves, smooth texture, combing ease = texturizer
potential breakage, a frizzy look more than anything else, severe shrinkage when wet= underprocessed hair.

Tracy

I also think it might be determined by the curl pattern you start out with and whether or not the product you use gets the opportunity to complete the task it is designed to accomplish - break down the curl pattern in your hair so that it is straighter and smoother.

My theory is that if your curl pattern is pretty loose naturally (a 3c, maybe even some 4a's with fine hair) that the results that a texturizer/mild relaxer is supposed to accomplish will be completed easier and more quickly on a looser curl pattern. To the extent that the formula mayn't be strong enough for thicker 3c hair or 4a and 4b hair, and you follow the application instructions, the product may never get the opportunity to complete the chemical processes it must go through - the chemical reaction does not proceed at the pace, and through to completion - as it is meant to. In which case you end up with underprocessed hair - hair that has not been taken completely through the straightening process, because it really called for a stronger formula where the relaxation process would be a bit more aggressive - faster and more forceful.

I hope this ended up making sense - but I think that's the real difference. Healthy hair that has been taken completely though the chemical process that sodium hydroxide is meant to effectuate is smooth and shiny and regains it's strength and body quickly.

Hair that is undedrprocessed - where the sodium hydroxide never got to complete it task - will remain fuzzy and dull - and eventually dry out and break.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif I really hope I didn't confuse the situation more....ACK!

lshevonne

Ennyaa please keep me posted on the frizz.
Beana3 thanks for the break-down and Ms Tracy girl you took it to another level of breaking it down and I thank you as well. I was asking because I've been using the Motion Oil and I thought it did ok on my hair. It doesn't shed any more than usual and my hair has been calling for a touch-up no sooner than usual...
Thanks Again Ladies

OnlyErin

To piggyback on this discussion, I wonder if I should break down and get a touchup (I'm at 6 weeks) because the stylist underprocessed my hair on my last visit. The crown and back were relaxed okay, but the middle was not, and I think the varying textures are what's causing my hair to break, though with certain products, it's been a little better.

I wonder, though, if a touch-up will do it. Will I need a corrective relaxer? I use Affirm for sensitive scalp.

Kitkat

lshevonne, just another example of how things work differently for different people. As a 4a/4b, Motions Oil Relaxer did absolutely nothing for me. I'm glad it worked for you, though! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lshevonne

Thanks KitKat for the positive words.
OnlyErin I've always read on this forum to just moisturize, moisturize and never re-touch too soon.

honeycomb719

I had the same question. My resent experience w/ Motions Oil(mild) was just a mess /images/graemlins/frown.gif Trying to do something positive for my hair switching to a lye relaxer and ended up w/ a head of underprocessed hair. Planning on getting a touch-up in 6weeks w/ Mizani at the salon to get me on track. I questionn the stylist will know if it should be took all the way to the ends to control my frizzies. After the Motions I quess I could say it was texturized too because my hair is all wavy(little waves) not the big loose ones and I can't even measure my hair growth from my 13week wait between touch-ups because my hair has so much shrinkage. Can't wait to get this next relaxer(Mizani). Think I need a regular ladies? Hair type 4aFi, but very thick feeling when kinky.

beana3

honeycomB: we have a very similiar head of hair, i would describe myself as 4aFi also, complete with the whole thick feeling when hair is not relaxed.
Because my strands are super fine, i've always opted for a milder strength. My hair also appears thick in some areas when relaxed because of its density, but overall that is not the case.
I think MY hair breaks down pretty quickly using mild, so that's the strength i will continue to stick with. but Motions oil brand relaexr produced results like no other. Weirdly enough i was tempted to use it for my next relaxer application /images/graemlins/blush.gif, without the additonal olive oil mixed in and starting with he most resistent areas first. , it did take to some areas before, i think i just screwed up on the timing.

alexa

A texturizer is really a relaxer, but the ingredients are more diluted than a relaxer. If you take a look on the box of your texturizer, you'll see the ingredient "sodium hydroxide" or "no-lye" depending on the formula. A texturizer's purpose is only to loosen the curl, so if you get anything than a loose curl, you have overprocessed it. I wouldn't advise anyone to try and straighten their hair with a texturizer because it really wasn't intended for straightening. It is possible to texturize your hair with a mild form of a regular relaxer, but you really, really should watch it all the time. It gets more complicated if you try to use different chems for different results other than what they were intended for.