What are the signs you need a relaxer?

Nella

What are the signs you need a relaxer? How often do you relax? Do you believe that you can wait too long and your hair can break/shed if you don't relax in time?

locabouthair

if you can't see your part:look: I think that's a sign. Also you your comb gets stuck in your hair from the new growth you have.

I relax every 10 to 12 weeks because my hair grows very slowly. My stylist is trying to convince me to relax every 6 weeks, which IMO, isn't good. She thinks 10 weeks is too long and will cause my hair to break I disagree.

I do think it can get to a point where you have a lot of tension at the breakage line and it can break.

People usually think about the weeks but IMO, you have to think about how much growth you have. In 6 weeks I dont even have 1/2 an inch but for someone else they could have almost an inch.

Inches411

if you can't see your part:look: I think that's a sign. Also you your comb gets stuck in your hair from the new growth you have.

I relax every 10 to 12 weeks because my hair grows very slowly. My stylist is trying to convince me to relax every 6 weeks, which IMO, isn't good. She thinks 10 weeks is too long and will cause my hair to break I disagree.

I do think it can get to a point where you have a lot of tension at the breakage line and it can break.

People usually think about the weeks but IMO, you have to think about how much growth you have. In 6 weeks I dont even have 1/2 an inch but for someone else they could have almost an inch.

yes i agree. everyones grow rate is different. I start noticing distinctive new growth at around 6 weeks some people may not noticed it till 8 . i find the best way to check ur new growth is to wet your hair and let it air dry a lil. You will get a good picture of how much new growth you have. Long as you can manage your hair without too much breakage i say stretch as long as you can.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

LOL at the OP about getting your comb stuck in your hair. That happened to me when i called myself transitioning and just couldn't take it anymore.

When i can't even part my hair is also a sign. When it looks like I have a helmet on my head instead of hair.

When i try to straighten it with a flat iron or blow out roots and the hair gets straight yet still poofy like i have a helmet on.

When too many folks keep asking you when you plan on getting your hair done.:rolleyes:

SimpleKomplexity

When I try to put MN on my scalp...it rarely works because I can't feel or see my scalp.

No matter what I do rollersetting looks a mess

It starts soaking up everything you put on it

It's thicky thick!!

It starts breaking along the demarcation line

Bublin

Now that i am back to being relaxed after being natural for 2 years i can see all the mistakes i made when i was relaxed before. I tried to transition but had to BC because my hair would break at the demarcation line. This has made me understand how i am to look after my relaxed hair now.

I left it way to long to get a touch-up sometimes 4 months - this caused breakage around the hairline and lots of shedding.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
What are the signs you need a relaxer? For me its too much nappyness (is that a word:ohwell:).
How often do you relax? Every 6 months.
Do you believe that you can wait too long and your hair can break/shed if you don't relax in time? Yea cause the natural hair is way strong then the relaxed hair, thats why I wear sew-in while I am waiting for my relax time to come up. I cant touch my hair after 3 months.:nono:

Dposh167

When I start saying to myself I might as well transition!
:lachen:very true!

I can tell by the ng around my edges. When i can no longer slick them back and keep them slicked (even when I've tied a scarf on it)..then i know its time.

I don't get too upset about my ng in the back of my hair...but nappy edges will completely SPOIL ur hairstyle. I'll walk around with 1in ng with slicked edges anyday. But if those edges don't do what i want it to do, then its relaxer time. (usally this doesn't happen til after 12 weeks)

chenai

Now that i am back to being relaxed after being natural for 2 years i can see all the mistakes i made when i was relaxed before. I tried to transition but had to BC because my hair would break at the demarcation line. This has made me understand how i am to look after my relaxed hair now.

I left it way to long to get a touch-up sometimes 4 months - this caused breakage around the hairline and lots of shedding.

OT Bublin you relaxed your hair! PICS please?

_belle

yes i agree. everyones grow rate is different. I start noticing distinctive new growth at around 6 weeks some people may not noticed it till 8 . i find the best way to check ur new growth is to wet your hair and let it air dry a lil. You will get a good picture of how much new growth you have. Long as you can manage your hair without too much breakage i say stretch as long as you can.

I agree. that's how I am feeling right now. I don't even have a time limit places on it. it is basically whenever I can't take it anymore. i have a bunch (IMO because I've never gone this long) of new growth and people (my mother & one of my friends) are commenting on it, but I really don't care.

_belle

:lachen:very true!

I can tell by the ng around my edges. When i can no longer slick them back and keep them slicked (even when I've tied a scarf on it)..then i know its time.

I don't get too upset about my ng in the back of my hair...but nappy edges will completely SPOIL ur hairstyle. I'll walk around with 1in ng with slicked edges anyday. But if those edges don't do what i want it to do, then its relaxer time. (usally this doesn't happen til after 12 weeks)
shoot girl, u have 13 weeks in your sig and that is looking pretty yummy. :lick::lachen:

almondjoi85

My edges are always my guide... It starts look very very rough around the outside! I agree with the forest comment.