SIGNS TO STOP STRETCHING

I've been going every 16 weeks for a couple of years now and have not experienced any breakage problems because of it. This particular go round, I'm going even longer because I just want to wait until I graduate in May.
I'm at 16 weeks right now.

The reason I go so long is because I feel my hair likes the big break from relaxers. Before I used to relax every six to eight weeks. One of the benefits I've noticed is that my nape and hairline have grown and filled in soooo much since I've changed the way I do things. Frequent relaxing was murdering my head.

CAPlush said:
secretdiamond said:
So now I wash (co-wash) at least 1-2 times a week along with my regular wash while detangling under running water to make sure the shed hairs are actually coming out and not wrapping around other hairs to tangle and matt. Moreover, I just stopped strecthing altogether. Like I said, I'll see how my hair gets affected by this and assess my new plan.

quote]

I agree with this 1000%.

I agree too. That is how I best detangle to put my hair in a pony to then airdry. I detangle while rinsing the conditioner out under the running water.

Caplush: I love the pics of the girls in colored rollers in your siggy! The colors are incredible together. Where was that pic taken?

I just relaxed yesterday after going 20 weeks. I made it that long using Dove Shampoo which I truely believe is the same as DDTA as someone said a few months back when they called the company. How I know this I ran out of my supply of DDTA Shamppoo and Conditioner and decided to give it a try. I can comb out my hair, its shiney and soft.

I do have shedding not to bad. The thing that does it for me is the new growth starts to really tangle up. Not all over but just in the back and sides. Even if it is one or two stands of hair I know it will be hard to comb this out and keep it from not coming out.

CAPlush said:
Some one, I think Allandra, said, for her, she no longer sees the point in stretching past 1" of new growth. For me, the main point for stretching is to reduce overlap, and I think any skilled stylist can relax 1-2" of new growth w/o overlapping much at all, so there is no need to go overboard with the stretching. Why wait for matting, tangling, and breakage to occur? Why not measure your new growth, and make an assessment of if it can be safely relaxed w/o overlap?
CAPlush,

Good point! I'm primarily stretching to achieve thickness, but I can see where it could be used to prevent overlapping.

nvybeauty said:
CAPlush said:
I agree too. That is how I best detangle to put my hair in a pony to then airdry. I detangle while rinsing the conditioner out under the running water.

Caplush: I love the pics of the girls in colored rollers in your siggy! The colors are incredible together. Where was that pic taken?

I actually lifted it from some one's website on the internet. It is a pic of their Dominican Republic vacation. In the caption, it said she tried really hard to capture Dominican women's obsession with hair curlers.:look: I really hope they don't mind me using the pic, I was just so intrigued by it. I wish I could take photos like this!

HoneyLemonDrop said:
I've been going every 16 weeks for a couple of years now and have not experienced any breakage problems because of it. This particular go round, I'm going even longer because I just want to wait until I graduate in May.
I'm at 16 weeks right now.

The reason I go so long is because I feel my hair likes the big break from relaxers. Before I used to relax every six to eight weeks. One of the benefits I've noticed is that my nape and hairline have grown and filled in soooo much since I've changed the way I do things. Frequent relaxing was murdering my head.

(In bold) I concur... I've learned that stretching will be a way of life for me because when I was relaxing every 6/8 weeks my hair wasn't showing any growth. Now I go 18 weeks I'm beginning to experience growth. (I get about an inch of ng at every touchup) After 10 weeks post, I wear my hair curly and usu. wash every 2wks and only comb my hair on that day. I apply mango butter to my hair every night before rolling and spray my ng w/Scurl to help keep the ng soft.:) .. This seems to work for me....

I wish I could stretch my relaxer touch up beyond 8 weeks like how some of the ladies here can but it doesn't work for everyone. My hair just becomes unmanageable after a certain point. It doesn't matter how much moisture or slip my products provide, when I have a lot of new growth my hair will shed like crazy. I have very fine hair that I have to be very delicate with due to its susceptibility to damage; especially when wet. However, I have used a couple of techniques that were suggested here that have minimized my shedding during my 8 week stretch.

1. Sectioning hair into four and washing and detangling each section before applying conditioner
2. After drying hair straight with large rollers, finger comb hair into a ponytail or french roll and tie with satin scarf to flatten roots.
3. Avoid or limit combing hair with a comb

It takes a trial and error process that you have to go through to understand your hair's texture, strength, and weaknesses. After experimenting with many products, I've realized that my hair cannot handle too much protein or too much moisture. Once you have a better understanding of your hair, figuring out what kind of products you need and the type of care your hair needs becomes a lot clearer.

amwcah said:
I'm almost 12 weeks post relaxer. What would be some signs to stop my stretch and just relax? If I wait too long, would I see breakage pre or/and post relaxing?

Right now, 8 weeks is my limit! The weekend will be it! Conditioning washing, tight scaves held me for a few days only. MTGing, Surging causes a growth spurt of thick roots. I know it's time when it takes me hours to comb, Softee greasing is failing and I keep stopping because my arms are tired and the tears are creeping out of the corners of my eyes...right now, riiiiiightttt NOW!!!!!

miss coco said:
I wish I could stretch my relaxer touch up beyond 8 weeks like how some of the ladies here can but it doesn't work for everyone. My hair just becomes unmanageable after a certain point. It doesn't matter how much moisture or slip my products provide, when I have a lot of new growth my hair will shed like crazy. I have very fine hair that I have to be very delicate with due to its susceptibility to damage; especially when wet. However, I have used a couple of techniques that were suggested here that have minimized my shedding during my 8 week stretch.

1. Sectioning hair into four and washing and detangling each section before applying conditioner
2. After drying hair straight with large rollers, finger comb hair into a ponytail or french roll and tie with satin scarf to flatten roots.
3. Avoid or limit combing hair with a comb

It takes a trial and error process that you have to go through to understand your hair's texture, strength, and weaknesses. After experimenting with many products, I've realized that my hair cannot handle too much protein or too much moisture. Once you have a better understanding of your hair, figuring out what kind of products you need and the type of care your hair needs becomes a lot clearer.
Great tips Miss Coco! However, I think I would have a mess on my hands if I didn't comb my hair during my final rinsing at least. Maybe I'll try it. Wish me luck!

I do a final run through my hair with a comb when I'm rinsing out the conditioner but my detangling process is when I wash out my beloved breakthru shampoo. Good luck!

I will be 12 weeks post Wed 21st and I do believe this is tops for me. This is my first 12 wk stretch which has not been so bad. However, when I was combing this morning to bun I had some breakage/shedding. I guess these are my signs to stop stretching. Nothing to really get alarmed about but enough for me to know it's relaxer time. Surprisingly, I must admit that I have not had any problems detangling when wet or even doing a roller set which I did on Sat. I deep cond each wash and detangle under water and then use lot's of leave in. I will see my stylist Wed to relax! If I'm brave,I may push for 14 wks next time, because I am enjoying seeing my ng.

janeemat said:
I will be 12 weeks post Wed 21st and I do believe this is tops for me. This is my first 12 wk stretch which has not been so bad. However, when I was combing this morning to bun I had some breakage/shedding. I guess these are my signs to stop stretching. Nothing to really get alarmed about but enough for me to know it's relaxer time. Surprisingly, I must admit that I have not had any problems detangling when wet or even doing a roller set which I did on Sat. I deep cond each wash and detangle under water and then use lot's of leave in. I will see my stylist Wed to relax! If I'm brave,I may push for 14 wks next time, because I am enjoying seeing my ng.
janeemat,

12 weeks is great, but you probably could actually stretch longer if you didn't comb.

CAPlush said:
Some one, I think Allandra, said, for her, she no longer sees the point in stretching past 1" of new growth. For me, the main point for stretching is to reduce overlap, and I think any skilled stylist can relax 1-2" of new growth w/o overlapping much at all, so there is no need to go overboard with the stretching. Why wait for matting, tangling, and breakage to occur? Why not measure your new growth, and make an assessment of if it can be safely relaxed w/o overlap?

I also stretch to minimize how often I use chemicals in my hair. I regularly get my touch ups every three months. But I work our 5 times a week and conditioner wash after every work out (wash once a week). When it gets closer to touch up time I only comb through my hair when I'm in the shower and the water is running through it. It works for my fine, 4A hair. I just got a good trim and I'm "back" at brastrap so it hasn't been an issue for growth.

I learned that I should only go no more than 8 weeks. I stretched for 9 weeks and that is when the breakage began. I agree with those who say that stretching for long amounts of time are easier if you are braided, weaved are wigged.

Since I have my hair professionally relaxed (by the greatest perm-meister of all time!) I will have to agree with Allandra's statement that the purpose of stretching is to clearly define the line of demarcation.

I will stretch no more than 8 weeks from now on.

For those that stretch longer, have fun! For me it was the challenge; to see just how long I could stretch and keep my hair on my head. Now, I am using experience to know that that is not good for me.

My threshhold is also at 8 weeks, I could probably push it to 10 but past that, there's nothing but massive breakage. That was the lesson I learned in 2006.

I discovered my limit (so far):

BREAKAGE. I just feel those strands snapping while I am combing no matter how light I am. I am currently 13 weeks. I think I could probably got to 16 weeks but I am not patient enough.

You're right Amwcah. I probably could have gone longer but since I have already made my appt I didn't want to cancel again. I'm curious to see how he handles my hair at a 12 wk stretch since I always had it done at 5-6 wks. Don't want to push my luck. I plan to add a couple more weeks on the next one. I'm also ready for straight hair!

12 weeks is the norm for me; I've done that ever since my first perm at the tender age of 12. By week 8 I have noticable new growth, but its manageable. By week 12, I start to forget how long my hair really is (unless I blow dry and flat iron it) because the new growth scrunches up. After week 12 I have to be careful because that's when the breakage happens.

secretdiamond said:
So now I wash (co-wash) at least 1-2 times a week along with my regular wash while detangling under running water to make sure the shed hairs are actually coming out and not wrapping around other hairs to tangle and matt.

This makes so much sense. I've never thought of the shed hairs wrapping around the others.

ETA: Right now I usually relax at 10 weeks. I'll be 6 weeks post by Thursday and I'm already itching to get a touch-up. I don't know if it's the MTG, my oils, or co-washes but my NG is much thicker that usual. Not necessarily quicker growth, but definitely thicker.

Last edited:
8 weeks is when the signals start (breakage/shedding) whenever I comb my hair. 10 weeks is when it becomes unbearable! (like right now! I'm due for a TU)

My hair is about 8 or 9 weeks post and the breakage was disturbing. It was so bad to the point where perming it seemed like it'd make it even worse, but doing nothing wasn't the right answer either. Well last night i figured if Evoo and prayer weren't work'n i'd just give up, but then my mom told me to try some of her wonderful grease. Of course i protested, but then I realized, why not just put it on the new growth and the ends! It was the smartest idea! It made my hair soft shiny and not too oily! (didnt' put it on my scalp). It was amazing the difference a little Isoplus Natural Remedy Olive oil and Lanolin conditioner could do!

I am only 4 weeks post and the breakage, shedding and itching is starting already! I know it's because I stepped up my "No Holds Barred" hair growth game with MTG, WGO, Viviscal, Nioxin, Carrot juice, Shen men, L-Cysteine, and Inositol/Choline, Silica... w/occasional Biotin.

So I think it had acceperated it SO much that, even though I am only 4 weeks post... The actual appearance of my hair is 7-8 weeks post... Which is commonly where the breakage/shedding starts.

I am afraid at how soon I might to relax at this point... Last time did 14 weeks (NEVER again)... this time I planned to do 10 weeks, but I might have to do it sooner at the rate my hair is going.

Letitia said:
When you start having issues with serious shedding and matting.

I agree. If I go beyond 13 weeks, my hair will start shedding like crazy. That's why I try to only stretch for 12 weeks.

When I get to the point of where no comb can go through it, its time to relax. That could mean I do it at week 20 or at week 10 or anywhere in between that:lol:

I have some crazy thick a:censored: hair so unless its thinning, or I have tons of breakage, I don't let it worry me. My strands aren't as fine as I thought they were. I have lots of big thick ones interspersed throughout. I do have some that are quite fine but some that are I guess medium.

My hair dosen't like certain things set in stone, except for it does like to be treated like super fine silk and give it the protien it wants (thats a must!) other than that, its up for grabs and what it can handle!

What has helped me for general health of my hair is lowering the manipulation on every front.

I learned that the longer my hair got, the more it didn't want to be fooled with:lol: . So I don't comb it for a few days, just moisterize and go.

I still rinse after working out, but I use a thin conditioner and don't manipulate a lot, I rinse my hair in the direction in which it will be worn (usually back in a bun) and dab on a little moisterizer and oil, smooth it back into a bun and let it alone. All without using a comb or anything.

Granted, that dosen't work for everyone but seems to be whats a key component in my hair journey where hair retention is concerned.

Last relaxer was December 2. I'm now fighting with nearly 2 inches of growth over the greater part of my scalp. Who knows where it all came from. At any rate, that dosen't always happen (usually only happens in the summer but hey I'll take it!)

My hair dosen't grow at the same rate all over so I don't treat it that way. One part can grow fast, then I relax, then the other part will grow fast to catch up. Sometimes I go 10-12 weeks and get MAYBE an 1/4 inch over the greater part of my head, sometimesthe growth just explodes.

I just take it all in stride and enjoy the journey (though it sure can be frustrating at times!)

-A

I've been stretching for 13 weeks now, and I'm seeing major breakage. I haven't worked out how to not comb my hair every day (I wrap it at night), but if I could, I would.

I also had a major chemical burn last year, which means that relaxers burn after literally a few seconds, on the back of my head. I'm not sure what to do - it's getting to the point where I'll have to relax the front half of my head and forget about the back. That might be an interesting style - a side mohawk?! :perplexed

Icandoallthings said:
My hair is about 8 or 9 weeks post and the breakage was disturbing. It was so bad to the point where perming it seemed like it'd make it even worse, but doing nothing wasn't the right answer either. Well last night i figured if Evoo and prayer weren't work'n i'd just give up, but then my mom told me to try some of her wonderful grease. Of course i protested, but then I realized, why not just put it on the new growth and the ends! It was the smartest idea! It made my hair soft shiny and not too oily! (didnt' put it on my scalp). It was amazing the difference a little Isoplus Natural Remedy Olive oil and Lanolin conditioner could do!
Icandoallthings,
Girl, I'm glad that worked out for you!:)

Tallulah Belle said:
I've been stretching for 13 weeks now, and I'm seeing major breakage. I haven't worked out how to not comb my hair every day (I wrap it at night), but if I could, I would.

I also had a major chemical burn last year, which means that relaxers burn after literally a few seconds, on the back of my head. I'm not sure what to do - it's getting to the point where I'll have to relax the front half of my head and forget about the back. That might be an interesting style - a side mohawk?! :perplexed
Tallulah Belle,
Uh, sorry to hear about your burning. Are you basing your scalp? Maybe you should base a couple of days prior to relaxing and see if that will help.

Back