What can I do to moisturize my braids without gunking them up?

sunshinelady

I've followed the C&G regimen of infusium/braid spray and it just doesn't seem to be working for me. My hair feels bone dry in these braids. I've been baggying as well for the last few days.

Can I do anything to moisturize them without gunking them up?

msa

What kind of hair did you use?

When I was braided I used the regular kanekalon hair because it always left my hair soft. Basically after I washed my hair I'd put conditioner (oyin) on and then wouldn't rinse it out. And sometimes I'd just take some olive oil and run it through my braids, focusing on where my hair was. It worked for me.

AwesomelyNappy

what about a light coconut oil? or mixing a aloe vera juice and a little glycerine in a spray bottle and lightly misting the braids where your natural hair lays and then lightly going over that with the coconut oil. If it get to heavy or -caked- over time, could you wash the braids?

sunshinelady

What kind of hair did you use?

When I was braided I used the regular kanekalon hair because it always left my hair soft. Basically after I washed my hair I'd put conditioner (oyin) on and then wouldn't rinse it out. And sometimes I'd just take some olive oil and run it through my braids, focusing on where my hair was. It worked for me.

I used CoCo Zury hair in micros. You didn't have any problems with build up?

sunshinelady

what about a light coconut oil? or mixing a aloe vera juice and a little glycerine in a spray bottle and lightly misting the braids where your natural hair lays and then lightly going over that with the coconut oil. If it get to heavy or -caked- over time, could you wash the braids?

I wash the braids weekly actually. I've been afraid to use oil on it, but I may break down. This is really odd.

msa

I used CoCo Zury hair in micros. You didn't have any problems with build up?

Hmm well micros or the zury hair may be the difference. I never get small braids or use human hair because it gets tore up looking.

Have you tried DCing? I'd slather on some conditioner with a plastic cap for a while just to see if it helps.

PittiPat

^^^ uh-oh!

I'm thinking about going back to braids so I'd like to hear what others have to say as well....I'm thinking of using my aloe vera juice/glycerin/rose water mix along with bagging it.

sunshinelady

Hmm well micros or the zury hair may be the difference. I never get small braids or use human hair because it gets tore up looking.

Have you tried DCing? I'd slather on some conditioner with a plastic cap for a while just to see if it helps.

It's cool for a day or so and then dry as a bone again. I'll try it again.

sunshinelady

I've actually advised people on here not to use oil on their braids, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe I need give it a try.

msa

It's cool for a day or so and then dry as a bone again. I'll try it again.

Well sometimes fake hair just isn't cooperative so dcing may be futile. Don't use any of your expensive stuff.

I've actually advised people on here not to use oil on their braids, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe I need give it a try.

Oil works for me on kanekalon hair. I don't know about human. But my hair was plastic so the oil gave it a nice sheen and made it soft.

sunshinelady

Well sometimes fake hair just isn't cooperative so dcing may be futile. Don't use any of your expensive stuff.

Oil works for me on kanekalon hair. I don't know about human. But my hair was plastic so the oil gave it a nice sheen and made it soft.

I'll give it a go. Maybe olive oil.

nysister

I often use Profectiv Root strength on my hair (not braided) but I think it's meant for braids. It's fairly light and creamy. It's the one in the green tub.

kryolnapps

I have braids right now and my routine is pretty simple: I rinse them under the shower almost daily, co-wash with diluted condish once a week; spray with a watery leave-in (right now I use shescentit leave-in); use a light oil like fractionated coconut oil; shampoo with a SLS free shampoo every second week or diluted baking soda or aCV. My hair doesn't get gunky at all. I just avoid butters, cones, mineral oil and anything creamy. I use kinky extensions and redo the front now and then.