What do you use to moisturize your braids?

lilpopers

I currently have tiny braids (with no added hair) and I have been using carrot oil to moisturize them at night and Braid Sheen Spray during the day. However, I am finding that my hair is still dry in the middle of the day, so I am open to suggestions for other moisturizing ideas.

When I had micros I used Tea Tree oil, Argon oil and Vitamen E oil on my scalp. And for the braids themselves I used ORS Olive Oil very lightly because I did'nt want the braids to unravel. I've used a sheen spray as well to keep them looking "alive" :)

When I had micros I used Tea Tree oil, Argon oil and Vitamen E oil on my scalp. And for the braids themselves I used ORS Olive Oil very lightly because I did'nt want the braids to unravel. I've used a sheen spray as well to keep them looking "alive" :)

Did you find that putting the different products on your hair made them feel "oily" or weighed down? My hair after a couple of days has no shine and I would love to use something to make them look "alive" :) but not if it comes at the cost of not being able to touch them.

I was thinking about purchasing Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 because I wanted to join the Jerri Juice Challenge.

Last edited:
I find that using a glycerin product & sealing it w/ jbco left my hair moisturized for days.

Did you find that putting the different products on your hair made them feel "oily" or weighed down? My hair after a couple of days has no shine and I would love to use something to make them look "alive" :) but not if it comes at the cost of not being able to touch them.

My scalp was only "oily" for a day after I put on the oils. I do experiance build up after about a week - for this I use ORS dry shampoo and q-tips to remove the build-up. The tingle from the Tea Tree that's in it feels soooo good.

As for the braids them selves I use a light sheen spray. I spray it onto my finger tips and go down a few braids at a time. You just have to be aware of how much sheen is used because like you said it can make the hair weigh down.

Braids or cornrows I use braid spray with infusium or Hawaiian Silky with any liquid reconstructor (Aphogee) I spray the scalp with MT diluted when I remember and maybe oil with EVOO once a week

I just keep it simple with water n glycerin spritz (mix some EO sometimes) and seal with EVOO or EVCO. Keeps my twists moisturized for the day. Sometimes more :)

Bronner Brothers Hot Six Oil and Redken Extreme Anti-Snap for protein. I use them because of the ceramides. Last time I took down my braids, (a month old), and I lost a hand full of hair. :wallbash: I moisturized on a daily basis with natural oils (olive oil, coconut), and co-washed like a madman with Aussi Moist.

This time I faithfully used these two items and when it came for take down month old braids, I lost the size of a quarter. I was crying tears of joy! :grin:

I'm 6 months into transitioning.

Back