What color will pure henna make my natural hair and color?

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
My natural hair color and texture is in my siggy. I'm deciding if I should put pure henna in my hair to give it a deep red hue, but I'm very nervous. When I was relaxed/texlaxed I put a compound henna in my hair and it didn't turn out well (I even made a thread about that one for those who remember :sad:) I love my natural texture and really don't want to lose my natural coils. What is a good brand? Should I use BAQ? I want to stay natural, will be henna make my hair too loose?

westNDNbeauty

One henna application doesn't change your hair color. At least not for me it didn't. And when your hair does start to change, it does so subtly and you mostly see it in sun light.

tocktick

In my experience of pure henna, it doesn't really add a lot of colour to dark hair. As mentioned above, you might see a little red in the sun. However, it won't really look very red. I henna'd my hair about 2 weeks ago and my hair looks pretty much the same colour as it did before (blackish brown).

Tiye

It takes years of regular application for red or reddish brown to show on black hair. Your coils are pretty tight so I don't see anything happening. Henna doesn't break protein bonds.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
I purchase henna from mehandi.com. I was getting the BAQ henna and decided it wasn't giving me as much color as I want (in the sun). So I switched to the Ancient Sunrise Celebrity and Purity. I can now see the color in natural and in door lighting. Doesn't show up in pics though. No changes to my curls from henna.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Thanks ladies, so if I want a really noticeable red hue, I would probably need a permanent color?

EllePixie

^^ Yes. Henna will not lift your natural color. Also, any loosening from henna is actually due to weight, so even if it did loosen your hair, it would be temporary.

Fhrizzball

If your hair is light enough around medium brown even dark brown or so it will show up more. Also although for me henna didn't loosen my curls others it may be a different story. Alma would help with that but if used with the henna batch (as you can use it alone) it will darken the hue of the red henna tones. If you want your red to be noticeable I would color. I hear red fades fast though so be wary of that. I know some people use manic panic and whatnot in their henna or even alone so you can look into that. Then there's always bleaching then using henna or vice versa but I don't know much about that.

henna on medium brown hair
2 year hair growth and loosening effects of henna over a long period
http://public.fotki.com/Spiral/hair-stuff/2010/2009/comp1.html