What Do You Do After A Braid Out?

Paris Belle

To those that do braid outs, how do you wear your hair after a braid out?

I did my first one on Saturday, but I didn't take out the cornrows until today. The back is nice and wavy and curly, but the front didn't take too well because it came out of the braids (I have bangs and layers in the front). So, I sleeked that part down and put it all into a wavy/curly bun/tuck. I wore a hat so I could hide the fact that the top wasn't exactly so sleek..So what do you do?

I really liked how moisturized my hair is and I plan to rebraid it tonight, but probably not in cornrows, two frenchbraids I think. How do you maintain your braid out?

Thanks for any answers in advance... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hairfanatic

When I wear a braid out I put a little olive oil on and fluff. I may use colored clips or a headband. I have also pinned my hair up and let the hair just shoot out into a sunburst type style.

beana3

well i used the braid/twist out style as my staple durimg the summer and got a lot of growth from it. It was extremely cute on me. The last few i've done haven't been too succesful (i think its b/c i skipped the WGO step and did it without a product aid). I plan on doing one a week after my next relaxer. I let you know how it turns out as i will be replicating my summer routine of lathering 1x (or doing a c/o wash with CPR) conditioning w/o heat for 15mins. combing out with Infusium 23 as my leave in. I had 8 or 9 twists and i used WGO on each section as i twisted it. I also think the infusium gave it some light holding power. (NOTE: Infusium is not my choice leave in throughout the year, but it was very effective in this case)

I usually do twist outs instead of braidouts b/c the twists leave my hair spiral=like and springy morseo than crimpy. I also find that when i do braid outs my hair would be too crimpy in some areas so i opted for the twist out which gave me a more sensual look.

I slept on a satin pillowcase during the summer b/c i did not want to flatten to look by sleeping in a scarf. I used plain olive oil for sheen in the days in between.

I re-styled my twist out every 3 or 4 days.

Be sure to detangle each and every wash! I could've kept my 2.5 inches of summer growth if i didn't have knots whch ultimately had to be cut away in some cases. I also was impatient with my combouts and lost more hair than i should have. Be gentle. I was always in a rush!

Paris Belle

Thanks beana and hairfanatic.

I re-cornrowed my hair (in four braids) and moisturized it again. I really like how it came out this morning. This is definitely a keeper.

Compassion

I tried my second braid out today. It came out really nice. But, like you Carmenrose I did not know what to do with the front. I ended up putting one of those neat scarfs on the front part of my hair, with the back hanging out. It looks sorta like a thick head band. The scarf ends hang out in the back. My boyfriend saw me braiding and rolling (used rods on the ends) last night. He asked me what I was doing. I said, "a braid out." He replied, "no..your doing a wool out." I was like what? He said," when you get up in the morning, it's going to look like you shook out a wooly mess." But, when I woke up this morning my hair was gorgeous! He liked it too. I belive that using bigger braids or cornrows really make a difference. Using plenty of WGO helps too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Compassion

G

I like my braid-outs at the top of my head! Right now, I have all the hair twisted up high to the left, while I wrapped the right side hair underneath. It is really creative. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For maintenance, I leave it up at night, and that helps the curls from mushing, or I mash them down with hairpins, and when I take them out, it still has a crinkly texture. Braid-outs are fun! (just learning them) /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

G

Oh, and Profectiv mega-growth is what I put on it, along with some water, before I began plaiting. The Mega-growth is really thick, which is why I used it because it helped to hold it. The next morning, I took the plaits out, separated them, styled them, spritzed and I was done. This morning, I added a touch of Shine hair polisher before I styled. /images/graemlins/smile.gif