What do you do RIGHT AFTER the relaxer is rinsed out of your hair?

AtlantaJJ

buttafly said:
My stylist does basically what you described, except my hair is washed with the neutralizing shampoo three times or twice with neutralizing shampoo once with regular shampoo. I always coat my hair with a protein conditioner and oil prior to getting it relaxed, so I don't mind the 30 second condition. I've heard from other stylists that it is not good to deep condition right after a relaxer with heat. Their rationale was that the cuticle is opened with the relaxer and then closed with the neutralizing shampoo. Deep conditioning with heat reopens the cuticle which can eventually can cause damage. I don't know how true that is, that's just what I heard.

Now that's interesting!! so it's almost like you would need to do an ACV rinse after the deep condish which would add a 5th step? I used to remember my stylist doing a cold water rinse to help with shine. That will help close the cuticle up also.

dlewis

Relax
rinse well
neutralizing poo 3x or until color is white
use a stablizer plus to restore ph balance
deep condition
hot oil treatment

RosesBlack

I relax, rinse a usually as a rule I rinse twice as long as I shampoo. Then I use the neutralizer shampoo three times. Then I rinse for as long as I can stand (usually about five minutes.) Then I get my hair less wet (not dripping but wetter than damp) use Lekair cholesteral and I also use Doo Gro oil in it. Put it in little pigtails, wrap it with a plastic bag, tie it with my scarf and go on about my day. Then before bed I rinse out the conditioner, massage my scalp with oiled fingers. Use profectiv cream braid and tie up again. Then except for my fingers I leave it alone for a few days to recover.

I had the same problem with a stylist about six years ago. That's when i started relaxing my own hair and my hair is healthier for it. I hope you find a method that works for you.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
- deep conditioner for 10 minutes (pH 4.0 to 4.4)
- two lathers of neutralizing shampoo
- deep conditioner again for 10-15 minutes
- towel blot hair
- apply evoo and/or setting lotion
- roller set
- air dry or sit under hair dryer

RubyWoo

I rinse the relaxer thoroughly and then I put in a conditioner. I usually use Aphogee 2 min Intensive Keratin Reconstructor for 5 min or Mizani Moisturfuse for 10 min. Afterwards, I rinse conditioner and then apply neutralizing shampoo, let it set for 5 min, rinse and repeat process 2 additional times. I then follow up and deep condition with ORS Replenishing Conditioner for 15-20 min with heat.

Soliel185

I've never done the reconstructor phase so I'm really excited to see what kind of difference it makes when I touch up in april. I'm also going to coat my hair with SAA before relaxing and see how that comes out as well.

tarheelgurl

Long time ago when I lived in CO, I had a hairdresser that I felt didn't condition my hair long enough after a relaxer, I started acting like I had an itch when he was rubbing the conditioner in. This meant the conditioner would stay on as long as he was scratching the itchy spots! He never DC'd after a relaxer.:look:

I have posted before saying that I am not completely satisfied w/ the stylist that I am going to. The stylist is a "I'm not rinsing the relaxer out until it starts burning, so your hair will get straight!" kind of stylist. I time 5 minutes after she applies and lies and say it is burning for her to take it out.

Anyway, after she rinses it out, she shampoos it twice then puts some conditioner on it for about 30 seconds then rinses that out and proceeds to roller set w/ some glossifier and setting lotion. After I get from under the dryer she sometimes puts some oil in it and sometimes doesn't. My main concern is that I am only getting 30 seconds of conditioning after the relaxer is rinsed out.

Please help me out and tell me your relaxing process from beginning to end because I feel like I'm about to lose my hair if I keep going to her. I use to self relax, but started going to a salon about the last 4 times I have had a relaxer after I got color to make sure I wasn't overlapping which I also thinks she does because she goes about 3 inches down the shaft when I def. don't see that much of new growth.

Uggggghhhhhhhhh.....please help a sista out! I am getting so frustrated w/ the lack of stylists in my area!

After rinsing out my relaxer I wash 2-3 times with neutralizing shampoo. Then I use a reconstructor with heat for 15 minutes. Then I use a moisturizing condtioner for 30 minutes. Then I proceed with my regular routine.:yep:

andreab

- deep conditioner for 10 minutes (pH 4.0 to 4.4)
- two lathers of neutralizing shampoo
- deep conditioner again for 10-15 minutes
- towel blot hair
- apply evoo and/or setting lotion
- roller set
- air dry or sit under hair dryer

THis is what I do as well. Except I dc both times for 15 mins.

pistachio

I rinse out as much of the relaxer as I can, and then I proceed to use the neutralizing poo, and then I DC.

Energist

Rinse the relaxer out and then neutralize until it turns white and then use conditioning shampoo, deep condition with reconstructor mixed in etc...

sylver2

i dont put in my own relaxers. but the stylist rinses it out right after then neautralizing shampoo at least 3 times. then a moisturizing shampoo, then keraphix protein conditioner all over and i sit under dryer for 20 minutes.
then rinse out and a leave in conditioner then rollerset.

Finesse

rinse relaxer from hair, apply protein treatment( I have used Duo-tex the last two times I have relaxed) leave on for 5min. rinse, shampoo with neutralizing shampoo twice, shampoo with conditioning shampoo once, deep condition 30-45 min. rinse, rollerset.

gymfreak336

As soon as I rinse, I apply a protein conditioner....ors replenishing or duo tex works well for 5 minutes. Then I proceed to neutralizing and deep conditioning.

caramelcutieinva

Deep condition a week before the relaxer

Part scalp in four sections

Apply scalp base ( summit sensitive) to the scalp , ears, hairline, and nape

Apply conditioner (Kiss my face) to the length and ends to protect

Apply relaxer to the new growth only. (I always start at a different point)

Spray with oil sheen during the last five minutes of processing

rinse twice

Apply neutralizing shampoo twice

Apply conditioner

Apply a deep conditioning treatment ( ORS Replenishing Pak). Let process for an hour.

prospurr4

After thoroughly rinsing the relaxer, I apply Motions CPR Reconstructor to my hair for 5 minutes, rinse, then neutralize twice, leaving the neutralizer shampoo on my hair for at least 5 minutes each time. I follow with ACV rinse, semi-permanent color, DC, moisturizing shampoo, leave-ins and rollerset.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

After rinsing the relaxer out I apply step 2 Vitale's Afterglow Conditioner. Wait one minute then apply the neutralizing shampoo directly on top of, lather, wait 15 min. rinse and repeat 3 more times.

Last edited:

Brownie518

Right after rinsing my relaxer I do this:

Apply Ion Keratin Reconstructor and Loreal Mega Therapy (for the ceramides) for 5 - 10 minutes

Apply Neutralizing Mousse for several minutes. I do this quite a few times. I am nervous about leaving any trace of relaxer.

I then begin my deep conditioning thing.

Aussie

*Base Hair with scalp protector (vaseline for me)
*Apply relaxer
*Rinse out when desired results have been achieved
*Apply Protein conditioner to build weakened hair shaft
*Leave PC for 15-30 mins
*Rinse out
*Apply Neutralizing Shampoo to bring PH down
*Let sit for 5 mins then rinse, apply again for 2 mins
*Rinse out
*Apply deep conditioner to add moisture to hair
*Leave DC for 30-1 hr
*Rinse out
***** after this is up to you*****