What do you do to stay motivated?

hairaboutit

Every so often I get bored with the everyday work it takes to stay w/ my hair journey. On those nights I have to convince myself to deep condition, apply my MT, etc I go fotki/youtube stalking. It always does the trick!:grin:

So what do you do to stay motivated?

*Special Shout Out to SistaSlick, Kami11213, Bronzeg, and Longhairdontcare*

Ijanei

I go back and look at pictures of when I had that old toni braxton cut and where I am now...it keeps me motivated. Also being able to reach certain lengths keeps me motivated, as well as inspiring stories of hair "turn-arounds" by others.
Also LHCF and youtube helps

Aireen

- Search hair videos on Youtube
- Go to the hair products aisle in drugstores or big grocery stores to look for potential products
- Log on LHCF and mostly lurk
- Lurk profiles and Fotki albums of members (If I remember)
- Read the back of my conditioners :look:
- Plan out when I am going to use up products until I am down to 2 shampoos and 2 conditioners that I want to use interchangeably :look:
- Wash my hair more often :drunk:
- Talk about hair to anyone that will listen :grin:
- Try and picture as best as I can my hair at waist length :pray:

Oh and at my high school most of the people are Asian so they're into Asian music, K-Pop mostly so I look at the MALE idols' hair. Seriously, some of them have the silkiest hair with really cute haircuts even better than the females. A little weird I know but it really does keep me motivated because I think that once I get to my hair goal, if I'm sick of it to the point I want to cut it, I can do a version of their haircut to suit me. :grin:

Last edited:

lea86111

i don't get bored with my routine that much seeing that 1) i just started my journey again 2) my routine is not that complicated. But i do get terribly disheartened seeing that i have that hih syndrome and i length check (by touching) my new growth SECONDLY (nt even daily lmao) so when that happens, to keep me motivated i envision myself with long hair telling all who didn't believe i'd make it I TOLD YOU SO lol =D

YasashiiSekai

i hate to say it (seriously not trying to be mean) but....

you know how you leave out a little of your hair to make it blend with the weave?
well there's this lady at my church that has really really short hair, and um... the weave is long... so it doesn't quite blend in, so everyone could see that it's a weave...

i look at her every sunday and i get motivated.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Look @ my progress pics.
Look @ other folks progress pics
Lurk on LHCF
Stalk WL ladies Fotki's
DC my hair
Watch hair videos on Youtube

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm new at this HHJ and I'm already bored but I bore easily. I'm still taking good care of my hair but I'm not on LHCF 24/7 like I use to be and I'm not out buying up every prod that someone raves about...guess I'm just settling down and finding my own.

To be honest, I'm finding it a little hard to be motivated at the moment. I was really motivated at the start of my hair journey, but recently I've been suffering setbacks and not seeing the progress I expected at all :(. Looking at other success stories and photos used to really encourage me, but now I just feel major jealousy, which is bad I know :(. Oh well, I may keep trying though, to see if I'll be APL one day, no idea when that'll come though :ohwell:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I keep it simple. I don't want my routine to feel like a chore. If I ever feel like not doing something, it's out of my regimen or I just don't do it that day. Don't feel like detangling? Ok, I'll do it later. Don't feel like DCing? No prob, maybe another day, maybe not. I didn't co-wash Monday (and still haven't) just because I don't feel like it and my hair shouldn't be a chore. It's supposed to be my hobby so if I don't want to do something, I just do the bare minimum (throw on a bonnet).

Now I do need motivation to continue to transition so I just tell someone I'm thinking about chopping and let them talk me out of it.

Bnster

To be honest, I'm finding it a little hard to be motivated at the moment. I was really motivated at the start of my hair journey, but recently I've been suffering setbacks and not seeing the progress I expected at all :(. Looking at other success stories and photos used to really encourage me, but now I just feel major jealousy, which is bad I know :(. Oh well, I may keep trying though, to see if I'll be APL one day, no idea when that'll come though :ohwell:

Don't worry CCBB you will get there because you care for your hair. Keep on plugging along, just don't let any SHS cut your hair when it is not needed.

For me I am about 2 more inches away from APL milestone, knowing I am almost there movitates me. I am relax when my new growth starts shrinking the length I just try to remember what I saw before and know that the shrunken length is not the truth. I am 2 inches away and can't wait.

One baby step at a time, one milestone at a time. Yes I am bored waiting, but heck I have time on my hand so just keep caring for my hair and it will come. Lately I am revamping and looking at more Healthy long hair journey on youtube. It is helping.

ChristmasCarol

I have a house full of girls, so when I'm bored with my own hair, there's always a head that needs to be done. Between us, we co-wash 12-15X each week, DC 4X - and then there's blowdrying or rollersetting or twists or flatironing to be done. I love looking at their hair and observing it's progress every day.

It helps me to focus on their hair instead of being impatient with my own.

If any of you are impatient or bored, maybe you could do your friend's or family member's hair. :yep:

NikkiQ

I actually look at old pictures from when I was in high school when my hair was BSB and then look at it now. That's all the motivation I need.

dafnie

stalk people on lhcf, fotki, youtube & hairlista and google random hair topics... i also have a big ol' folder in my computer of my hair progress and comparisons that i look over to motivate myself... lol...

i confess... i'm hair obsessed! :drunk:

Janet'

Good thread, OP!

1. I keep in mind the final goal, which for me is HL and that helps me realize I've got to keep truckin!

2. Coming on forums such as these, puts me in the right mindset- everyone is not as interested in hair as you ladies and I appreciate you!

3. Hair is my current "hobby" right now, and I put my all into my hobbies, so my hair has nowhere to go but up (I mean, down-lol)!!!