WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR HAIR IS SHEDDING?

sydney100

Help-

Last night, I washed, reconstructed w/ heat for 20 minutes (kera care), then conditioned my hair for thirty minutes, leave in conditioner (kera care) I noticed as i was washing my hair that my hair was shedding. I examined the hairs and they had the root at the end of them, but it was a lot. My hair is still shedding but not as badly as last night. What do you when your hair sheds? Condition more frequently? What type of moisturizer do you use? Leave in? Oils?

I know that shedding is the natural hair cycle, but it was shedding big time. Can you calm shedding down?

Hair stats:
Wash and dc weekly. Moisturize w/ORS. Daily vitamins-Hair, skin and nails, womens multi, and a b-vitamin.

Newtogrow

Have you tried a protein treatment? A lot of sistas do a clarifying wash and then an aphogee protein pack.

I have a hair mayonaise that you can also add an egg to to strengthen it. The protein treatment helps to strengthen the hair and cuts down on breakage.

Good Luck:yep:

sydney100

I didn't use aphogee, but I clarified and used Keracare reconstructor which has protein. I may have to give the mayo and egg a try.

Thanks!

*Happily Me*

Has this been on ongoing problem?

I had lots of shedding too. My shedding was noticably lighter during my last wash.

I am doing the following:

• Taking my vits. (i stopped out of sheer laziness. I am back on track)
  • Started additional iron ( i have a check up next week -- I'll make sure that that's ok)
  • Limiting heat and I going to attempt a long stretch
  • Using PH balanced shampoos and conditioners.
We'll see.

InnerSoul

everyone's hair is going to shed(when u see the whitish bulb at the end of the hairstrand).. its a natural life cycle for the hair.

I also think that I shed more during a certain season than others.
Is it breakage that you experience? if so then protein will help curb this.

otherwise I would just keep my hair washed, deep cond., and moisturized weekly and let it be... this is my thinking anyways.

sydney100

When I washed it last week, I had no problems. The shedding just recently started over the weekend. I have to admit I didnt take my vitamins over the weekend, but I have been really good about using no heat and dc'ng.

sydney100

Innersoul-

I didn't see much breakage. I've checked and the majority of the hair had the white bulbs at the end. It was just soooo many of them. :sad:

InnerSoul

Innersoul-

I didn't see much breakage. I've checked and the majority of the hair had the white bulbs at the end. It was just soooo many of them. :sad:

GOOD!!! I wouldn't worry about it at all!!!! if its bulbs at the end... then its just your shedding season.. Just keep doing what you are doing. You want you hair to shed b/c you don't want to keep old hair on your head forever!! It has to shed to let the new healthier hair come in!!:yep:

growinstrong

ITA. Shedding is normal. I used to freak out too, but I said to myself, as long as globs and globs of hair aint coming out all at once, then I'm ok. I still get breakage too, but not as much as before LHCF :yep:.

GOOD!!! I wouldn't worry about it at all!!!! if its bulbs at the end... then its just your shedding season.. Just keep doing what you are doing. You want you hair to shed b/c you don't want to keep old hair on your head forever!! It has to shed to let the new healthier hair come in!!:yep:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Have you tried a protein treatment? A lot of sistas do a clarifying wash and then an aphogee protein pack.

I have a hair mayonaise that you can also add an egg to to strengthen it. The protein treatment helps to strengthen the hair and cuts down on breakage.

Good Luck:yep:
This is what I do...:yep:

BlondeByDesire

I'm a constant shedder no matter what I do ... I've become use to it now. I still continue to see growth though. As posted earlier it's natural to shed. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine.

Evazhair

In addition to addressing it internally as others state, I use a garlic treatment on my scalp weekly (Alter Ego). There are
other treatments like Apretadora, Capilo Cinnamon and Sole, or a homemade garlic and oil treatment. The recipe is on here somewhere.

Moroni

Has this been on ongoing problem?

I had lots of shedding too. My shedding was noticably lighter during my last wash.

I am doing the following:

• Taking my vits. (i stopped out of sheer laziness. I am back on track)
  • Started additional iron ( i have a check up next week -- I'll make sure that that's ok)
  • Limiting heat and I going to attempt a long stretch
  • Using PH balanced shampoos and conditioners.
We'll see.

So have I, especially during the last 5 weeks, since before my relaxer. But since the relaxer, I've had more breakage as well. So, I've got lots of long strands with the bulbs and lots of short, broken ones as well. I know what you're going through. I'm cowashing, DCing, and right now, sitting here with the avocado/egg/buttermilk/oil prepoo on my head for moisture/strengthening treatment. I have a feeling, though, that it must be seasonal shedding, so I'm not as freaked out about that as I am the breakage.

ravenmerlita

If it is just normal shedding of a few strands after washing or combing, I don't do anything special. But there have been times that I have had shedding so severe that my bathtub immediately topped up. When I have shedding that is more than just "normal" shedding for me, I:

-- go back to taking my vitamins if I've been slacking off
-- stop putting heavy conditioner on my roots
-- if I started using a new product, I go back to old ones to see if it was the product
-- try not to stress because that can lead to more shedding
-- massage my scalp lightly with rosemary and olive oils (I am careful to massage lightly because there are times that I massaged too aggressively and caused more shedding)
-- exercise more and reduce carbs

This may not be the case for others but I honestly notice more shedding when my diet is loaded with sugar/carbs.

sydney100

Thanks- I didn't know about the heavy conditioner on the roots. I have been messing around with some new products lately. I think I will go back to what I've been using.